Indonesia First Look

I'm some way into my first game after the patch now, playing as Indonesia. My settings are Epic speed, King difficulty, Small Island Plates map.

Now, this IS a fun civ to play, and it feels quite different. Small islands with plenty of sea resources are now very viable city spots. If I can find space for a few districts, that is great, but my space requirements are much lower than they used to be. I also make use of the slightly larger landmasses in a different way. An island which would have been suitable for 2 cities with another civ, is easily a 4 city island for Indonesia. Also, the God of the Sea pantheon, which I have previously not bothered with, is awesome now.

The faith purchasing of naval units is okay, but not super powerful, at least in the very early game. At this game speed, a Galley costs 190 faith. Near the beginning, with the +2 faith for coastal adjacency, and a decent Holy site giving you another 2 or 3, that is easily 40-50 turns worth of faith, which there will often be better uses for.

I had a bit of a slow start, due to prioritizing naval technologies, and going for religion before science. I did not expand quickly either, and it has taken some time to get my production up. However, I have started to catch up rapidly, much thanks to my very high gold income. I see the AI players (Norway, Spain, Rome, Egypt, Scythia) are prioritizing Harbors and building a fair number of ships, which is good. Fortunately, no one has declared war on me yet, as the others are busy attacking Trajan, who is leading at this point. My fleet and defences are being prioritized now, however, as I would be very vulnerable to raids.

So far, I am having a good time. :)

Has anyone identified which techs or civics boost the Kampung food and tourism, since they aren't listed in the civilopedia or tech and civic trees? Or do they simply not exist?

Has anyone identified which techs or civics boost the Kampung food and tourism, since they aren't listed in the civilopedia or tech and civic trees? Or do they simply not exist?
That is a good question, I suspect they do not exist, and that the text perhaps reflects something the developers intended to do originally, but then decided against for balance reasons. I'm in the Renaissance era now, so far there have been now boosts. I'll let you know if it happens.

In the naming of the Civ, I would have liked more courage.

But this Civ is unique especially the UI - Kampung - is very nice.

I am curious to see how these are related to possible tile improvements like offshore wind parks in the future.

for Indonesia [...] you are basically guaranteed to get the God of Sea pantheon if you settle your first city on the coast.
That is great.
And not. I mean, playing as Harald is a lot worse without any chance for God of the Sea ... :D

Yikes, the color combo for Indonesia is going to cause some confusion with barbarians.

Hopefully Indonesia will not create too many horsemen, otherwise every time my scout catches sight of one, he'll be running away as fast as possible. :)

Hmm... I wonder why Gitarja says Indonesia instead of Majapahit or Nusantara when you meet her.

Yikes, the color combo for Indonesia is going to cause some confusion with barbarians.

Hopefully Indonesia will not create too many horsemen, otherwise every time my scout catches sight of one, he'll be running away as fast as possible. :)

Better up the contrast and gamma correction!

Hmm... I wonder why Gitarja says Indonesia instead of Majapahit or Nusantara when you meet her.

She traveled to the 20th Century and went back to her time? :p
Or maybe the dialogue writer was forced by Firaxis to put Indonesia in the greeting?

She traveled to the 20th Century and went back to her time? :p
Or maybe the dialogue writer was forced by Firaxis to put Indonesia in the greeting?
But on the other hand, Gajah Mada from Civ V said "Nusantara"... I still like Civ V leaderscreens and voice actors better. Not really because of Gajah Mada said Nusantara, but because Askia has a badass leaderscreen. And leaders aren't mute. And they all meet you in their country, not just some black room. And of course... XIMICACAN!

But back on Indonesia. Gitarja's animations look nice, and at least her voice isn't as bad as Jadwiga's.

Loving Indonesia so far. You can really play an entirely sea-based strategy, kinda ignoring the land. Started with a tech path of sailing, astrology, celestial navigation...never done that before.

The UU coming at the same time as the policy card for upgrading units cheaply makes for a pretty straightforward strategy...build quadriremes en masse then upgrade. Go for double harbor bonuses & shipyards for production, spam kampungs everywhere you can. Get lots of admirals, go conquer anyone who spent the early game building holy sites instead of navy, keep building/buying more navy...rinse & repeat

You don't even need to go religious. Automatic god of the sea pantheon alone, is a strong benefit on island maps.

Loving Indonesia so far. You can really play an entirely sea-based strategy, kinda ignoring the land. Started with a tech path of sailing, astrology, celestial navigation...never done that before.

The UU coming at the same time as the policy card for upgrading units cheaply makes for a pretty straightforward strategy...build quadriremes en masse then upgrade. Go for double harbor bonuses & shipyards for production, spam kampungs everywhere you can. Get lots of admirals, go conquer anyone who spent the early game building holy sites instead of navy, keep building/buying more navy...rinse & repeat

You don't even need to go religious. Automatic god of the sea pantheon alone, is a strong benefit on island maps.

Yeah, but if you do a two-pronged approach WITH religion, you can buy your UU en masse, thus avoiding the maintenance of Quads, and really cause havoc on the high seas! :p

Yeah, but if you do a two-pronged approach WITH religion, you can buy your UU en masse, thus avoiding the maintenance of Quads, and really cause havoc on the high seas! :p
oh yeah, I'm sure that's good too. I chose to skip it because all my land tiles had jungle and I didn't want to delay harbors for bronze working. Just saying it's not strictly necessary. They are pretty flexible as long as there is lots of water.

I'm going to have to take a longer look at faith building the ships. I'm not that far into my game, but a galley is like 130 faith or something? How many boats are you really able to buy?

Its not a real Civilization game until you have a civ with a colour scheme that is easily confused with the barbs. Civ V Ethiopia says hello :lol:
Civ5 Ethiopia was fine; Civ5 Poland was a nightmare. :p

Top Bottom