1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Indonesia livestream collateral thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Piruparka, Oct 17, 2017.

1. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Warlord

Not a good sign. Here is hoping that this was super scripted including AI.

2. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Well, it seems like Ed was last to get cartography, so the AI wasn't totally inept. And the archer may have been scouting, not sent to get rid of the barbs. But I'm not expecting any significant improvement in the AI with the patch - I didn't see anything that surprised me for an emperor game.

3. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Spies aren't moved like units.

4. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

ED actually started the livestream saying he was playing on emperor...

CPWimmer and ferretbacon like this.
  5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Forgive me for sounding like a conspiracy theorist, but it almost seems like this is a closely guarded secret.

I mean, for all of the hype-train leading up to original release, they hardly showed us any city-states, probably to keep us from deducing the actual civs by eliminating the ones represented by city-states. Since then, all the DLC civs haven't replaced a city-state, until (potentially) now. And they won't comment on it. There's a pretty good cop out in that Jakarta may not be replaced because it actually wasn't in the the Majapahit Empire which Indonesia represents.

So my conspiracy theory is that they are keeping all city-state talk mum, so that when the expansion rolls around, they will keep up the "don't talk about city-states, barely show any" routine, and we won't be able to figure out which city-states have been converted to civs.

Siptah likes this.
  6. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Well, I finally got to watch the livestream (instead of just reading about it on here!). It made me excited to try a post-patch religious game, trade route bombing cities to flip their religion, and the like.

The scenario looks very cool - I like the idea of all these neutral city states that have to be converted, and the competing religious combat. Though it always makes me a little sad when they are talking about all the different civs and their different strategies and approaches as in the back of my mind I'm thinking "well that's sounds great but what is the AI going to do with it?"

I'm surprised they contained themselves and didn't put in 7 different 'win as X' achievements for the scenario ;)

Siptah likes this.
  7. Buckets

Buckets Warlord

Would be great if city states were disabled if a conflicting civ is in the game setup. Or perhaps if the map spawns a city state with a conflicting civ city name, that civ just skips the name.

8. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Click the link in the bottom of the first entry of this thread. A 'blank' video window will be on that page, but there will be a little "Watch Now" window in the corner of that, which will take you to a recoding of the livestream.

KAL_MAD likes this.
  9. KAL_MAD

KAL_MAD Chieftain

Thank you

10. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Warlord

Fair point, but on that level, science hasn't been a major issue for the AI (esp. with the bonuses) -- it is what to do with it that is :)

Seriously, I was I guess expecting at least a little more work on the AI. Maybe with the toning down of religion for civs not focused on religion, it will balance out the game a bit more.

Looking forward to the patch notes -- at the moment, I have a very good game going (with quite a few mods), so have been in off-line mode until I finish this game.

11. Klinn

Klinn Warlord

Sounds like an incoming Steam achievement!

Katakanja and Siptah like this.
  12. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

I don't think AI is a problem. AI shouldn't simulate human, it should provide challenge.
    Not enough settling on islands is a problem, because it reduces AI challenge on island maps.
    Shifting focus to navy for AI is good thing (even without any algorithmic changes), because naval combat gave less challenge for human players before.
    Situations like AI sending lone archer against barbarian-settled island are not a problem at all, since they don't affect the game for human player.

13. CypherEnigma

CypherEnigma Chieftain

That's what I'm wondering about, did Ed make a mistake by saying it? Is it from a new DLC/Expansion? He says it at 12:12 "where trade units are on there own layer, Spies also work that same way"

14. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

Spies are on their own separate layer. The actual "spy unit" is visible on the map where they are conducting missions and don't interact with any other units.

CPWimmer, Kimiimaro, bbbt and 3 others like this.
  15. CypherEnigma

CypherEnigma Chieftain

You are probably right, I was just hoping for some thing more since Ed has mentioned that they will improve on the spy system in the future.

16. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Is it confirmed that this is an actual map script? Or is it just a map of the asian region? (Didn't get this part from the stream; sorry.)

I really loved those map scripts in Civ V (especially the "Europe" script) and miss them badly in Civ VI.
    It would be great, if they (slowly) re-introduce those more sophisticated/varied scripts with Civilizations-DLC or preferably the next major Add-On.
    However, I would be even willing to purchase a selection of interresting scripts as separate DLC ... maybe the elusive "GH" files are exactly this? (Just some hope based on no evidence whatsoever)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  17. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

I wouldn't call spies freely wondering the map an "improvement". I remember too much of Civ1-2 to wait for this. Same goes for Trade Routes (Caravan spam was a heavy thing :) ). Those units are better left targeted.

Aussie_Lurker likes this.
  18. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Yes he stated it was an emperor game at the beginning.

as for the diplomacy screens, I'm not sure I like them. It's more clicks to get the same information. But on the positive side you don't have to scroll down. So which is worse? Scrolling down or clicking tabs? But you had to click tabs before to see the relationship modifiers, so tabs is nothing new. It was a jumbled mess before.

nzcamel likes this.
  19. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

I did not see the livestream but I would be completely baffled if they had a city named Angkor Wat. The whole reason the wonder is called Angkor Wat is because it is the Wat built in Angkor (previously known as Yasodharapura). I think it's more likely the person said they saw it is mistaken.

20. KayAU

KayAU King

1. The new religion lens. I have strongly disliked the original since release, to the point where I would actively avoid getting religious units to avoid looking at it. The new one looks lovely
    2. Warrior Monks. Apart from the coolness, it is interesting to have a unit like this, which is not really tied to the tech three. It is potentially very powerful for large parts of the game, but will be surpassed at some point. It might be able to stay somewhat relevant in modern time thanks to its promotions, though. Maximum strength is 60, maximum movement is 4, and it can gain stealth, double strike, and double flanking bonus. I can picture pairs of warrior monks using stealth and high movement to ambush Infantry, which just seems very cool to me.

So I only get two? I can't mention the new and possibly reworked beliefs, which would have gotten third place? Okay, then.