Indonesian man jailed for public skepticism

cardgame

Obsessively Opposed to the Typical
Earlier this year, Indonesian civil servant Alexander Aan posted on Facebook that he doubted the existence of God. He was then attacked and beaten by an angry mob, and arrested for blasphemy.

On June 14, Aan was convicted of “disseminating information aimed at inciting religious hatred or hostility,” sentenced to 30 months in prison, and saddled with a large fine. Now many Indonesians are calling for his death.

By punishing Aan, Indonesia is violating its obligations to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which guarantees every person the rights to freedom of belief and expression. We petition the Obama administration to call upon the Indonesian government to immediately release Alexander Aan and improve its protections for religious dissidents and nonbelievers.

linksys for White House petition

I didn't know Indonesia was as backwards as Saudi. This is just sad.

Of course, stuff like this doesn't actually happen. Dawkins just makes it all up.

Stories like this remind me why I will never be silent, no matter how many people I annoy or piss off.

This is the natural state of human existence. It absolutely has to be fought or it will happen in this country.

I don't want to appear insensitive, but there's not much you can do about angry mobs. That's the people, not the government.

The government could defend him, legalize dissent, and punish those who attack him.

That would be a hell of a start.

Like most Americans I don't know much about countries outside the US (because we don't have maps), but IIRC Indonesia requires all citizens to belong to one of the five official religions, and this religion is indicated on their ID cards. Belonging to other religions, including being atheist, is not allowed. Ah, here we go (I was right):

Wikipedia said:
Religion in Indonesia

The first principle of Indonesia's philosophical foundation, Pancasila, is: "belief in the one and only God". A number of different religions are practiced in the country, and their collective influence on the country's political, economic and cultural life is significant.[1] The Indonesian Constitution guarantees freedom of religion.[2] However, the government only recognizes six official religions (Islam, Protestantism, Catholicism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Confucianism)[3][4][5] and Indonesian law requires that every Indonesian citizen hold an identity card that identifies that person with one of these six religions. Indonesia does not recognize agnosticism or atheism, and blasphemy is illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Indonesia

Like most Americans I don't know much about countries outside the US (because we don't have maps), but IIRC Indonesia requires all citizens to belong to one of the five official religions, and this religion is indicated on their ID cards. Belonging to other religions, including being atheist, is not allowed. Ah, here we go (I was right):

Maybe, but that doesn't make it right.

"Not freedom from religion" indeed Mr. F-ing Lieberman.

Didnt Obama grow up in Indonesia and he's belief include a mix of muslim, animalism and pagan beliefs ?
Iam guessing religious extremeist plus lack of education

Didnt Obama grow up in Indonesia and he's belief include a mix of muslim, animalism and pagan beliefs ?
Iam guessing religious extremeist plus lack of education

This is a really sad story for anyone who believes in freedom of beliefs. For you it's another excuse to make an out-of-place sarcastic remark flaming certain far-right American political views.

Saddens me how many countries are still stuck several centuries ago.

About the only thing the left does that drives me nuts is making excuses for cultures that don't allow freedom of conscience.

Every culture that practices religious freedom is better than every culture that doesn't, full stop. But, then, I was never one for moral relativism.

Maybe, but that doesn't make it right.

"Not freedom from religion" indeed Mr. F-ing Lieberman.
Oh of course not. I like the irony of how they have "FoR", which allows you the "freedom" to choose from a pre-selected list. And blasphemy is always a nice touch. Perhaps this is whence Ireland is getting their inspiration?

(Note of shame: Lieberman is from my state, and used to live in New Haven. :sad:)

I don't get this saying. Changes in social construct aren't linear, the related country isn't given, and their construct isn't very much relatable to the implied country a few hundred years ago.

I think it's shorthand for western social progression. Obviously, and tragically, things can become quite fanatical and deadly in the present as well as the future.

To be honest I still think there's ~2% shot that America will be like this in fifty years.

Saddens me how many countries are still stuck several centuries ago.
Look at how many Americans feel the same way about atheists and agnostics.

Spoiler sort of relevant: :

More on topic, do you guys think there's hope for freedom of religion to blossom yet, or will things become worse?

This is a really sad story for anyone who believes in freedom of beliefs. For you it's another excuse to make an out-of-place sarcastic remark flaming certain far-right American political views.

Meanwhile US senators are calling for investigation of Muslims in the US federal government.

I have been a practitioner of tough politics for many decades. There is little that amazes me and even less that shocks me. I have to say that Congresswoman Michele Bachmann's outrageous and false charges against a top aide to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Huma Abedin reaches that threshold.

Her unsubstantiated charge against Abedin, a widely respected top aide to Secretary Hillary Clinton, accusing her of some sort of far-fetched connection to the Muslim brotherhood, is extreme and dishonest.

Having worked for Congressman Bachman's campaign for president, I am fully aware that she sometimes has difficulty with her facts, but this is downright vicious and reaches the late Senator Joe McCarthy level. [...]

Shame on you, Michele! You should stand on the floor of the House and apologize to Huma Abedin and to Secretary Clinton and to the millions of hard working, loyal, Muslim Americans for your wild and unsubstantiated charges. As a devoted Christian, you need to ask forgiveness for this grievous lack of judgment and reckless behavior.

"
The letter and the report offer not one instance of an action, a decision or a public position that Huma has taken while at the State Department that would lend credence to the charge that she is promoting anti-American activities within our government."

These attacks on Huma have no logic, no basis and no merit," McCain added. "And they need to stop now."

What extreme is that? Religious freedom for everybody, including those who have no religion?

Top Bottom