1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Industrious: 50% wonder production?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Mad Hatter, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Chieftain

What does 50% wonder production do?

I thought this leader trait would cut down wonder production by half. But when I picked a leader with Industrious, it did no such thing. So what exactly does it do?

2. Belboz

Belboz Necromancer

Industrious leaders build wonders faster than non-industrious ones. Production in any city building a wonder is [Edit, oops] increased by 50%

3. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

It increases your wonder production by half.

4. Jantis

Jantis Chieftain

As the others said (+50% production to wonders), which is different than halving the overall costs of your wonders. You still need to have decent production in the city where you build your wonder, or the +50% bonus is basically a waste.

5. LordTerror

LordTerror Chieftain

A +50% production bonus has the same effect as -33.3% cost mathematically. There may be other factors that change this, though.

1) Does hurrying work the same as production? (Does hurrying take industrious into account)?
    2) Does the bonus for having resources ("double production") add or multiply? (Does The Oracle being build by an industrious leader with marble go at 2.5x speed or 3x speed)?

Anyone know?
    Thanks ahead of time. :)

6. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Chieftain

Hmm... so say my normal production is 10... if I select a wonder to build, I will see it go up to 15?

7. Artanis

Artanis King

I haven't really investigated #1, but as far as #2 goes, the bonus is additive. So in your example, it'd be 2.5x speed.

Edit: Mad Hatter
    Yes, if 10 is your base production.

8. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

No, it cuts the normal wonder production (based on city's production rate) in half. So, a 10 turn wonder would take 5 turns.

9. Artanis

Artanis King

No, it adds 50% of base production to the number of hammers being put into the wonder. So, assuming no Forge or Factory, a 10-turn wonder would become a 7-turn wonder.

10. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

I see. Thanks.

11. Byrath

Byrath Peacenik

The Industrious trait becomes a lot less appealing after thinking of it this way. Only 33% faster builds .. even less if you have forges, factories, etc.
    Half-cost forges are nice, but no better than the other traits buildings (except maybe Financial's cheap banks).

12. vlar

vlar Chieftain

+33% makes early wonder projects succesful at higher difficults where city pop is small and Stonehenge and Orcale are usaully built by 1000BC.

13. LordTerror

LordTerror Chieftain

Wrong, it's 50% faster which means it takes 2/3rds as long. Having it be 33% faster would be implying that it takes 3/4ths as long.

This is all assuming there are no other modifications to production being used.

14. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

I think the increased production does make hurrying cheaper, as I'm almost certain that you will get more sheilds from chopping if you are building a wonder in whatever city you're chopping by.

15. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

In my experience the main advantage of industrious is you're less likely to be beaten to the earliest wonders (stonehenge/pyramids/parthenon/oracle/etc.) That's particularly important if you're thinking of going for a cultural victory because some of those wonders make a huge cultural difference to a city.

16. flytyer

flytyer Master Fisherman

I agree with this post. This trait is really only usefull in the very early stages of the game. Then it basically becomes obsolete once everyone begins to build forges.

17. Stageon

Stageon Chieftain

I was really enamored of Industrious in my earliest games but have since found other traits much more useful - unless you absolutely need those early wonders, like others have said. Still, even that can be subject to having stone/marble nearby, else you might STILL lose out to other civs that do. Overall, it's a bit chancy to base your strategy on getting wonders. If you don't, then that entire trait is wasted. If you do, nice bonus, but you should be prepared to win without (many) of them.

18. 5cats

5cats Warlord

If you're getting a bonus to production, you also get bonus with your chopping.
    Recently I was building the Pyramids, with stone (+100%) as an Industrious leader (+50%)
    I chopped some trees, which added +75 hammers! Not 30 which would be normal.