Industry civic

Ahriman

Tyrant
Why doesn't the industry civic boost workshops?
I'd like to see it give a +1 hammer or +1 commerce bonus. Workshops are pretty weak as it stands.

I would agree, Workshops could definitely use the boost. They could actually use some sort or boost in general, as they are one of the least useful improvements. Being available a bit earlier and boosted a bit earlier, like with Wind/Water mills would probably help.

I'd prefer a + 1 food boost for workshops, like state property gives to them in the vanilla game.

I agree that workshops could use a boost as they're kinda useless right now. I don't think this should necessarily be linked with the industry civic though, I'd rather have them get a boost with some earlier tech or some other prereq that's not a late-game civic ;)

I'd prefer a + 1 food boost for workshops, like state property gives to them in the vanilla game.

[to_xp]Gekko;7295378 said:
I agree that workshops could use a boost as they're kinda useless right now. I don't think this should necessarily be linked with the industry civic though, I'd rather have them get a boost with some earlier tech or some other prereq that's not a late-game civic ;)

My current thinking is to have another +1 Hammer Tech (which brings them in line with Mines when fully upgraded) and to have the Industry Civic grant +1 food (effectively removing the food penalty they have). They basically become a method to gain a mine-like yield without having hills, but at a heavy research investment.

I'm not yet sure where to put the hammer tech though - the obvious one is Engineering, but that already has a lot of benefits, including boosts for "the 'mills". Feudalism is another option. Blasting Powder would have been, but it's probably too late tech.

I think it would be fine for Engineering to boost the tields, but that City of a Thousand Slums should really be moved away from Engineering to Taxation. It might also be good to require a Forge in the city where the Guild of Endeavors (as I prefer to call it that Guild of Hammers) is built, as all other wonders that provide free buildings require said building.

umh some reshuffle needs to be done about some techs I guess. some of them give a crapload of bonuses while some others give almost nothing. construction for example got a considerable boost by having mills tied to it. maybe irrigation should be changed to something else ( sanitation? medicine? feudalism? whatever? ) , and building forts to mathematics or something. engineering looks like having quite a lot of buffs as well, so I'll go with MagisterCultuum about that one ;)

Lumbermills are pretty decent actually with the industry civic; a plains forest mill is 1/4/1 and gives +0.5 health.

I very much agree that City of a Thousand Slums needs to be moved from Engineering to Taxation; it makes more sense, and Engineering is a ridiculously powerful tech.

Somehow boosting workshops, and rearraging bonuses given by techs, seems sensible.

Vehem, what about Sureshot´s old MiniMod? The one which let you build pastures/plantations/camps more or less anywhere - like farms, that is, not necessarily on resources. Would you consider its implementation at all a possibility?

Lumbermills are pretty decent actually with the industry civic; a plains forest mill is 1/4/1 and gives +0.5 health.

But still inferior to watermills. +2/3/4 on grassland, 1/4/4 on plains. Unless you're really hard up for health, I guess.

Oh. I kind of forgot that you can build lumbermills everywhere, not just next to a river.

Somehow boosting workshops, and rearraging bonuses given by techs, seems sensible.

Vehem, what about Sureshot´s old MiniMod? The one which let you build pastures/plantations/camps more or less anywhere - like farms, that is, not necessarily on resources. Would you consider its implementation at all a possibility?

well, AFAIK that was basically an alpha version of Mailbox's Economic Mod. I know I would love for Mailbox's mod to be part of FF ;)

I had considered that, but haven't yet struck upon a "purpose" for them that is significantly different to the other improvements. The 3 types of mill offer slightly different emphasis on each of the yields, whilst still being a "general" improvement (windmills emphasis food on already decent production hill tiles, lumbermills offer production and allows you to maintain forest health, watermills offer very respectable production and commerce - but cost a potential farm/town spot on the riverside).

A fairly powerful synergy (though not massively thematic) is to lumbermill all forests around a city (in my case it was Kuriotate so 3 tile radius), then switch to Industry and FoL. Decent production and bonus food from the ancient forest-mills.

===

The only mechanic I've seen that may persuade people to build a pasture in preference to another improvement is where the pasture allows animal resources to be found rarely as with mines and mineral resources. The chance would however be tied to Earth mana at the moment (would need a little DLL tweaking to sort that out - Nature mana would be appropriate). That's not a mechanic I'm looking at just yet though.

A fairly powerful synergy (though not massively thematic) is to lumbermill all forests around a city (in my case it was Kuriotate so 3 tile radius), then switch to Industry and FoL. Decent production and bonus food from the ancient forest-mills.

I've always thought that a lumbermill should block a forest from turning ancient. Probably requires some code-tinker-mongering though. Seriously, how ancient can a forest get if you keep cutting down the big trees?

Any chance on having lumbermills provide a production boost to archery units? (+5%:hammers: per mill in BFC seems appropriate)

I've always thought that a lumbermill should block a forest from turning ancient. Probably requires some code-tinker-mongering though. Seriously, how ancient can a forest get if you keep cutting down the big trees?

I agree with this, plus the fact that it doesnt make a lot of sense lore wise. As it is now it is possible to run Guardian of nature and Industry at the same time.

Top Bottom