Status
Not open for further replies.
If "industries" and especially "corporations" can be only unlocked by the Mercantilism civic - a Renaissance civic - like what happened IRL (Trade and Navigation Acts, East India Company, etc.), it would have a more mid- to late-game focus.

This is my exact hope, with a World Ideologies system coming in another mode that unlocks at the Ideology civic.

And the USA still holds a World Series of baseball which has never included any team from outside the USA.
Toronto isn't in USA ;)

(1992 & 1993)

Industry/corporations/ideology and reworked World Congress, please (no more question marks, because that is just counter intuitive).

So let me guess -

You move to a tribal village and you get a message "You have discovered a new corporation". It's Microsoft! You can take on Bill Gates as a new governor ...
No... No!! Anyone but him! Lol. :p

Like, I seriously don’t get how there isn’t at least one or two more leaders with a unique Governor. Feels really out of place there is only Ottomams with a Unique Governor. Feels like a cool mechanic that could be taken in cool different direction with at least a few other Civs.
Then again it would make the Ottomans feel less unique. :p

Honestly, I think it was a big mistake to introduce the World Congress before the Industrial era in the base game, it should have stayed like in V that it is only created once somebody discovers every civ and hit the Industrial era. As it is now, basically the later eras do not add any significant gameplay systems besides spies as compared to the classical era.
I'm fine with it being in the Renaissance Era at Diplomatic Service at least. But I agree that someone should discover every civ first.

So let me guess -

You move to a tribal village and you get a message "You have discovered a new corporation". It's Microsoft! You can take on Bill Gates as a new governor ...
Don't you mean clear a barbarian encampment?
Oh wait wrong one. :mischief:

Toronto isn't in USA ;)

(1992 & 1993)

Neither were the Montreal Expos.. which lost their single chance at WorldSeries in 1994 to a Strike/Lockout situation. :(

Mea Saurus, Mea Saurus, Mea Saurus Ignatio - "I'm a lizard, I'm a lizard, I'm a flaming lizard"

And I have no excuse for forgetting the Canadian teams: I've visited both cities since they got their baseball franchises!

Still, 2 countries out of 200 + does not a World anything make.

Well in civ6 case it's not a world congress made up of a fraction of players, but of all players but some of whom dont know each other while voting on the same thing anyway, and still dont know each other after convening
Had a game with Me, Freddie, Cathy, Vicky, Gilgabro, and one undiscovered civ.
Industrial era WC competition: Sweden wants to see who has the greatest minds.
I think I've cracked the case on who the unknown civ is. :lol:

If "industries" and especially "corporations" can be only unlocked by the Mercantilism civic - a Renaissance civic - like what happened IRL (Trade and Navigation Acts, East India Company, etc.), it would have a more mid- to late-game focus.
Production monopolies of some sort could still unlock earlier (e.g. silk or Tyrian purple IRL), perhaps by unique luxuries being discovered in some way, but, yes, this seems like the bulk of the action would be late-game.

maybe one policy card or even civic needs to be added, "corporate personhood" as a boost for "private sectors" or something like that

(no, corporate personhood isn't just limited to something like citizen united)

Last edited:
On the topic of “obvious things to do as a game mode”, I’m still really amazed FXS haven’t thrown together a Zombie game mode. They have the art assets already and rough mechanics from Red Dead. And Zombies are kinda meme, although not as much as they were a few years ago when it was all 28 Days After World War Walking Dead Zombieland v Pride and Prejudice. But seriously. Comets, Cthulhu Cults, and Vampires, but no Zombies? Shame.

The film 'Pride & Prejudice & Zombies' is so BAD it's unwatchable. I made the fatal error of buying the book before seeing the film, and the genius of the book is the way it uses huge amounts of Austen's original plot & text whereas the film is utter crap and bears almost no relation whatsoever to the books - P&P&Z or regular P&P - and should be avoided at all costs. Utter garbage, and aargh etc.
Just saying.

Although, late game zombie invasion crisis

Having a big late game crisis is becoming a common thing in strategy games now, Stellaris, total war etc

I would turn it on every now and then for a laugh

Hell we could even have a late game alien invasion. We have the assets. Modders where you at?

Having a big late game crisis is becoming a common thing in strategy games now, Stellaris, total war etc
Civ’s late game crisis might need to be calibrated a bit differently, though. Unlike games like Stellaris (which has no formal “victory”), Civ can be won long before the late game and the earlier victory conditions are arguably easier than the late game conditions. If Civ added an endgame crisis, it might be better for it to trigger when a player was close to winning (e.g., the aliens see that Earth is too close to becoming united and therefore a threat and decide to launch a preemptive strike).

Of course, then, the crisis difficultly would have to scale to the tech/civic levels of when it was triggered, and people might cheese it by, say, converting the last two civs at the same time (although, if people want to enable Crisis Mode and then cheese it away, that’s their choice). It’s still better than having a crisis you won’t see if you win too quickly.

I'm pretty sure everyone on that list except the Toltecs were were aware of the Romans.

The Roman Empire had direct trade with groups as far as Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and the East African coast, so, sure, Swahili and Indonesia would have been aware of them in 1 - 300 CE or so. But Constantinople the Byzantine Imperial Capital, which is the city referred to (by the Rus and Vikings among others) as the "Navel of the World" had no direct trade to the east and southeast because of the Arab Caliphates, which acted as 'middlemen' (and made a good deal out of it). So Swahili and Indonesia would both be dealing through 1 - 2 'third parties' and the Japanese through about 3 by my count (Southeast Asia or China, India/Sri Lanka, Arab caliphates). They would all know that there was a honking big market for everything somewhere off to the west, but exactly where and who it was would be more problematical.

I apologize for not being more precise with my time scale: the term "Navel of the World" as applied to Constantinople, though, was Post-Roman Empire and Post-Caliphates' establishment and I should have made that plain.

Last edited:
The Roman Empire had direct trade with groups as far as Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and the East African coast, so, sure, Swahili and Indonesia would have been aware of them in 1 - 300 CE or so. But Constantinople the Byzantine Imperial Capital, which is the city referred to (by the Rus and Vikings among others) as the "Navel of the World" had no direct trade to the east and southeast because of the Arab Caliphates, which acted as 'middlemen' (and made a good deal out of it). So Swahili and Indonesia would both be dealing through 1 - 2 'third parties' and the Japanese through about 3 by my count (Southeast Asia or China, India/Sri Lanka, Arab caliphates).

Byzantium WAS the Roman empire though. Knowledge of Romans IS knowledge of Byzantium.

Plus if you're going by capitals then 99% of the world is unknown to most people in the modern day. Is Auckland the capital of new Zealand? Do I not know about new Zealand by your definition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom