[NFP] Industry/Corporations Mode is comming!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Zegangani, Dec 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiRezAudio

HiRezAudio Prince

That would be even sillier than the 'Global Warming' mechanic, as any Alien civ that could get here would be more than capable of total domination within 24 hours.

2. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

There are things a lot more sillier in the game than anything discussed here for fantasy/SF modes, and I'll be the first to say that it's even more a reason to not add more, but...

If we go for an Alien invasion SF mod, if we stick to what's physically possible, as you want no "non-sense", their supply line would be quite stretched, I mean they won't even have one, any reinforcements would take decades (if they are based in a very near star system), and even if it was a planned invasion, would they have accurate intel before launching it ? could be based on a scout from 1000 years ago...

It could also be a generation ship with limited resources, maybe not ready to fight for its survival if they didn't expected to find a civilization on their path.

There is a lot of possible SF scenario if you want to make an alien invasion that is not one sided IMO.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Elhoim, Kjimmet, Casworon and 4 others like this.
  3. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Byzantium considered itself "Roman" but to say that they were the same Romans, or the same Roman Empire as that of the original Imperium of 500 - 800 years earlier is simply ridiculous. You might as well say that the Kingdom of England of 1600 is the same as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland today - they are even closer together in time and speak (roughly) the same language, which couldn't be accurately said of Byzantium of 800 and Rome of 200 CE.

And, as the OP was speaking about knowing the city of Byzantium, then 'capital' does not apply since it wasn't the capital of anything under Imperial Rome in 200 - 300 CE. And if I wanted to trade with or travel to New Zealand today, I have all the knowledge I need to do that (caveat: having a sister with a PhD in geography and being a military historian, I have probably had more exposure to maps than most people, but the principle applies that to any reasonably educated person, New Zealand is not that hard to find) whereas that is much harder to accurately claim for
    someone in Indonesia, Swahili or Japan in 7 - 850 CE.

4. robal1991

robal1991 Warlord

Two new global parameters in the december update:
    Code:
    <Replace Name="MONOPOLY_GOLD_BASE_AMOUNT" Value="5" />
    <Replace Name="MONOPOLY_GOLD_FROM_TRADING_POSTS_IN_FOREIGN_TERRITORY" Value="1" />
    New table
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE "ResourceIndustries" (
            "ResourceType" TEXT NOT NULL,
            "ResourceEffect" TEXT,
            "ResourceEffectTExt" TEXT,
            PRIMARY KEY(ResourceType),
            FOREIGN KEY (ResourceType) REFERENCES Resources(ResourceType) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE);

2 New banner types
    Code:
    BANNERTYPE_CITY_CENTER        = 0;
    BANNERTYPE_ENCAMPMENT        = 1;
    BANNERTYPE_AERODROME        = 2;
    BANNERTYPE_MISSILE_SILO        = 3;
    BANNERTYPE_OTHER_DISTRICT    = 4;
    BANNERTYPE_MOUNTAIN_TUNNEL    = 5;
    BANNERTYPE_QHAPAQ_NAN        = 6;
    BANNERTYPE_INDUSTRY            = 7;
    BANNERTYPE_CORPORATION        = 8;

And also new barbarian tables, but that should be put in another topic I think
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE "BarbarianTribe_MapConditions" (
            "MapConditionSetType" TEXT NOT NULL,
            "TerrainType" TEXT,
            "FeatureType" TEXT,
            "ResourceType" TEXT,
            "Range" INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
            "Invert" BOOLEAN NOT NULL CHECK (Invert IN (0,1)) DEFAULT 0,
            PRIMARY KEY(MapConditionSetType, TerrainType, FeatureType, ResourceType),
            FOREIGN KEY (FeatureType) REFERENCES Features(FeatureType) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE,
            FOREIGN KEY (TerrainType) REFERENCES Terrains(TerrainType) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE,
            FOREIGN KEY (ResourceType) REFERENCES Resources(ResourceType) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE,
            FOREIGN KEY (MapConditionSetType) REFERENCES BarbarianTribe_MapConditionSets(MapConditionSetType) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE);

CREATE TABLE "BarbarianTribe_MapConditionSets" (
            "MapConditionSetType" TEXT NOT NULL,
            "TribeType" TEXT NOT NULL,
            "Test" TEXT NOT NULL,
            "Priority" INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 1,
            PRIMARY KEY(MapConditionSetType),
            FOREIGN KEY (TribeType) REFERENCES BarbarianTribes(TribeType) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE);

CREATE TABLE "BarbarianTribe_UnitConditions" (
            "TribeType" TEXT NOT NULL,
            "UnitType" TEXT NOT NULL,
            "ReplacesUnitType" TEXT,
            "MaxPerTribe" INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 1,
            PRIMARY KEY(TribeType, UnitType),
            FOREIGN KEY (TribeType) REFERENCES BarbarianTribes(TribeType) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE,
            FOREIGN KEY (UnitType) REFERENCES Units(UnitType) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE,
            FOREIGN KEY (ReplacesUnitType) REFERENCES Units(UnitType) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE);

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  5. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Some interesting developments... Monopolies are a thing, and it seems Firaxis is already working on the Barbarian and Tribal thing.

6. AntSou

AntSou Deity

This gives greater weight to the speculation that controlling resources will provide you with specific benefits, which is exactly the kind of design I was hoping for.

Banner Types would seem to indicate that Industries and Corporations are actually supposed to be visible on the game map, like improvements or districts. It could be that they're assigned on the map similarly to National Parks, being an area which you must assign for certain benefits, but which blocks it from other benefits (e.g. no farms in a mining region).

It's still hard to unpack the difference between Industry and Corporation. My suspicion is that Industries will be available from early in the game whereas Corporations may unlock in the Renaissance or Industrial Era with added mechanics.

Remember that Pack #5 also includes a new District with two buildings, but these must be playable even without any modes. I'm very curious about what this might be. We may also be mixing stuff that belongs to the new Game Mode with stuff that relates to the new Districts.

7. Duke William of Normandy

That would make sense, considering industries are just a way for governments to manufacture goods and commodities such as glass, porcelain, timber, etc., whereas corporations are big businesses headed by independent people.

Galvatron and AntSou like this.
  8. Casworon

Casworon Prince

Barbarian tribes! That's awesome. Sounds like barbarian invasions and barbarian mini empires might really be becoming a thing.

I have a feeling tech shuffle, dramatic ages, monopolies and industry's, barbarian tribes might become my future game mode setup l

9. Myomoto

Myomoto King

It is interesting that corporations would be something you place as an improvement on the map? Basically like a colonial office/feitoria that sucks up nearby luxuries?

I could see corporations maybe being focused on luxury resources granting gold and amenities, with industries instead focusing on bonus resources to grant higher food/production yields.

10. Askia Muhammad

Askia Muhammad Chieftain

I can agree with this to a certain extent but I really think its the lack of a competent AI that makes the late-game boring. By the industrial era, even on deity, your already pulling ahead or have long pulled ahead of any AI competitor. I absolutely hate the Civ VI iteration of the world congress as well. Its borderline useless more than half of the time, and many of my multiplayer friends don't care for it either. They should have let us chose proposals, it loses a lot of strategic value when you can't unless the stars align and you get relevant proposals for your current situation. I know people didn't like picking them because it led to some being selected over and over but I would have put a cooldown of one congress session to fix that rather than just making them totally random. I don't mind it always having an effect either negative or positive though.

Much of this stuff just seems like needless fluff (much of which I enjoy) but because the AI doesn't interact with the base game systems well, let alone these modes, even adding these corporations and "reasons" for colonial conflicts isn't really going to shake up the game. Your still going to obliterate the AI with little effort.

I don't know what the solution is but for CIV 7 i'd hope one of their primary focuses is on combat AI and helping the AI keep up with the player infrastructure and yield wise. My most interesting games are where i have abysmal starts and spend much of the game playing catch-up or at least on par with the leading AI.

11. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Nice to see that it looks like corporations are indeed coming and looks to be different from the previous games.

12. Galvatron

Galvatron Prince

I'd imagine that corporations would have many effects possible with different corporations giving different benefices, like one might be focused on creating sheqels, another might be about creating strategic resources, one might be about getting influence etc..

13. Duke William of Normandy

Can't wait for January!

14. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

will Great merchants be playing any role in this mode? Many great merchants were key role in industry.

15. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

It would make sense if they did. In the past you could use Great Merchants to found a corporation. Maybe their role in the game mode might be similar. Even more interesting is if they are the one that builds the industries/corporations on a tile.

16. Zegangani

Zegangani King

Some good (yet not) News for Modders!

Don't know, maybe someone has already spotted this, but... it seems that we didn't just get new Tables lately, but the old , Existing, Tables got new Columns too.

I've noticed that the Improvements Table got some new colums: OnlyOpenBorders, Capturable, RequiresAdjacentLuxury, NoAdjacentSpecialtyDistrict...and some others. I haven't checked out other Tables, but some might be updated too.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  17. Abaxial

Abaxial King

I much prefer the Civ 6 WC to the Civ 5 version, where you could choose proposals, but I found it was usually hard to pick one that was any use. The Civ 6 proposals can be quite useful. Maybe allow voting on which proposal will be voted on? That might be interesting.

18. Duke William of Normandy

So in Civ 6, all we need is the ability to choose proposals, and the World Congress is mostly better! :)

Banazir864 likes this.
  19. Myomoto

Myomoto King

What I really liked in 5 was that you could actually plan your vote. You could discuss with the other civs on how to vote, and proposing different propositions for a vote could have diplomatic consequences. It felt much more like a real World Congress.

20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Ah yes, world congress; where you discuss, convince, bribe, take into consideration many different aspects on many different levels; and in the end the AI just chooses to ban some random luxury anyhow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.