1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Infantry should play a larger role...

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by ADLOTS, Dec 4, 2002.

1. ADLOTS

ADLOTS Chieftain

Nowadys u cant take a citty without infantry, like many many human soldiers...

You can seige a citty with tanks, but most of the time, citties cannot be held with tanks alone... this is because tanks are a) really expensive, b) have no advantage agaisnt a suprise attack

I think infantry should play a much greater role in civ3, by mayb reducing the deffense of a tank or increasing the cost substantially (they are two easy to build, by modern times, most of my citties can make tanksin 2 turns, if im lucky to have iron works, 1 turn)...

Perhaps some things like a flag for cavalry "cannot take citties" that some ppl here have suggested... or to make the infantry more valuable then cavalry, except cavalry should still play a major supporting role, like what happened in WW1...

2. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

You could always add a modern infantry unit. Look in the Creation & Customization-->Units forum.

3. cromagnon

cromagnon Emperor

In a way, this already exists. If you take a city with tanks, but do not back them up with infantry/MI, chances are that the enemy's counterattack with their tanks will be succesful.

4. Squirrel

Squirrel Warlord

At the beginning of a war, I always use infantry to hold captured cities. I find this crucial, particularly if my opponent has a strong army to conduct a counter attack.

Later, if I gain momentum and manage to suppress the opponent down to a level at which he is unable to strike back heavily, I will not put that much emphasis on infantry.

5. Shabbaman

Shabbaman rebuffing the rebels

This is the same kind of discussion as the killer speaman/tank debate (meaning that a spearman isn't supposed to beat a tank)
    The game is this way. Live with it or mod it.

If you want to see infantry wars, toggle the infantry unit as offensive only.

6. Sim_One

Sim_One Emperor

ADLOTS one thing you could do is to give tanks the "wheeled unit" option in the unit editor. Tanks now would not be able to travel in mountains or jungles unless there are roads, and therefore would give infantry the advantage. Other things you could do is increase the attack power of infantry and make the cost of tanks higher.