1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Infinite city spam - a civ history & civ 6

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by sherbz, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Staal

Staal Warlord

Interestingly that would that just recreate the issue of work automation. Like the developers said, if you have to automate it, it means the decision making is not sufficiently fun, i.e. not well designed. The return of production queues would probably help with this immensely.

That said, some sort of provincial governor system could add value without being a crutch to avoid any inherent tediousness of the game design. Not that I personally find city management tedious. There is a level of personal taste involved here.

2. CivScientist

CivScientist Warlord

I don't know if the complaint here is that people want to return to the 4 city empires being the optimal strategy, dominating their large neighbors. I think it's more that the decision to build new settlers and city placement is trivial as it is right now. It seems you pretty much always want to build settlers if you have space to plop down new cities. And it seems you can plop a city anywhere and be better off for it.

Of course, there are exceptions and this is an oversimplification. If you want to found a religion, early expansion will get in the way of that at higher levels, for example. But this does seem the default way to play in the average game.

3. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

i didnt mean automation, just take nearby cities and join them into a super-entity (province), which works just like an ordinary city (you choose what to produce, citizen focus etc) but internally its multiple cities
    personally i have never used production queues and still i do a brief inspection of whats constructed in my cities every turn, maybe thats why i find wide empires tedious but otherwise i dont feel i control my economy
    have never automated workers too

4. Staal

Staal Warlord

I'm similar in that. Too much of a control freak to hand it out to a lackey!

5. Lord_Azazel

Lord_Azazel Prime Swatter

Am I alone in thinking that this is a good thing? When I get towards the industrial/atomic era I find it strange that not all the tiles on the map are claimed. There are cities IRL that are way out in the middle of nowhere, why can't we have that in civ as well?

6. Staal

Staal Warlord

Agreed.

7. kornelm1978

kornelm1978 Warlord

Many games try to walk around problems in a complicated and not wise way. I.e. 20 cities means penalty to techs 40%. But it can be done more simply and more realisticly. Lets say firts university gives 5 knowledge, second 4, third 3...etc. And all cost the same maintenace. So building 20 universities will kill your economy with no big science boost. So easy to understand and so realistic.

The other thing to limit city spawn and conquering is lets say to have something similar to monarch powers in Europa Universalis. Every civ gets the same amount of let's say "goverment powers" and city founding and capturing costs some. But you may use those goverment powers for lets say for policies, tech, better trained unists boosts or things like that. Very realistic, becasue in reality country cannot focus on all. It would make easily (with proper balancing) wide and tall strategies. So large empire if you choose, but less cultured, less advaced, with high production and mass units or well trained amry in happy empire. It whould add so much more decisons where to go, rather than most important strategy in civ 5 and 6 - how to place quickly archer on the hill so it can shoot over the forest.

So most importantly - kill one unit per tile.

rrrwww likes this.
  8. Assault Lemming

Assault Lemming Chieftain

Other than the escalating cost of districts and civilians there's almost no reason to stop settling cities in the early part of the game. It's essentially a "land grab" phase of the game. Settle cities for no other reason than to deny that land to your enemy.

9. x2Madda

x2Madda Prince

What a great idea! I would also welcome setting trade routes to run till infinity as well and maybe bring back queued building. Rght now the biggest reason to not ics is because of how dull your turns become, setting dead 2 population cities to kill time when you planted them for no other reason that because you could.

10. Staal

Staal Warlord

In fact the main issue is the tone of people like x2Madda. People like you spoil the forum for others.

11. rrrwww

rrrwww Chieftain

based on my games on deity, spamming seems to work better in the long run. Its not nearly as dangerous as i used to think because ai is braindead

basically you do a normal military start and after you get an army of like 7-10 units you spam settlers until all is settled. this is usually 7-10 cities on small continents map, alot more on pangae and way more on inland maps. its ok for some cities to be close or no river or few tiles.

only drawback i see is youre effectively stopping growth and production for like 50 turns[on epic], but ofcourse this is an investment

the best and actually easiest way is also conquer stuff with that army of 7-10, regardless if your civ has any starting UU. just be wary of scythia and especially egypt early game. but this is probably too easy and cheezy with such an ai

12. Lord_Azazel

I don't understand how you guys can go conquesting with an army only 10 units strong. I've always been a mediocre civ player around king level, I recently started a game on emperor and have constantly been at war for 3000 years or so with my neighbours. Usually several of them at the same time since they are so happily dowing me. I am trying to conquer germany to my west, but at the same time I need plenty of troops stationed on my north and southeast fronts because of sumeria and arabia dowing me from time to time, and moving units across my empire would take way too long time to save the cities there. Germany has many cities close together in a cluster between mountain ranges and with a couple of encampments almost next to eachother. This along with some ranged units I actually have quite a task in front of me to conquer them. I've even lost a couple of hoplites.

13. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

If you want to defend, put a few cities near each other, build encampments so they provide cross fire a dn you won't need that many units to defend yourself. You can always disband some units in the west to buy the same unit in the south if needed.

14. Lord_Azazel

I feel that is kind of an exploit, and it feels bad to fire someone just because you sent them away. :)