1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Inflation in Ffh

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by ADP101, May 10, 2010.

1. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

I dont know about u guys, but im having a hard time controlling inflation. I'm keeping my research level at 80%, ive built courthouses in almost all my cities, and only one city has more than a 0% crime rate, and yet my inflation keeps spiraling up. In my last game, i had to keep my research level at 40% and make most of my cities produce wealth just to get +5 gold. What am i doing wrong?

2. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Well, you have to give us more information.
    What civ are you using? What map size/type? What difficulty level?
    What turn are we talking about? And what game speed?
    Also, and probably most important just how do you usually play?

3. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

1. Well in my elven game i used ljosafar (sp*), right now im the Illians
    2. Mapsize either large or huge, type is Eubrus (or however u spell it ;))
    3. I use that flexible option so it changes depending on my score. Im usually prince or above
    4. game speed is normal
    5. How do i usually play? Thats a hard question to answer, it really depends on my starting position.

In my elven game, i had no barbarian issues, so I went strait to infrastructure and trade. I had plenty of gold amassed, research was good and i was doing great. I was in an amazing spot for defense. I blocked off the mountain pass to my east so the nation there never expanded ;), north and west was all sea, and south was all the forests i could want. A small mountain passage connected me with my enemies, the clan, hannah the irin and that angel civ that spawns (sorry still rough on my ffh knowledge). They occasionally sent giant doomstacks my way, so i kept a giant doomstack at the passage. Midway, i had no problem defeating w/e they threw at me. But i noticed that i kept having to lower my research level, cuz my gold per turn kept dropping and dropping. By the end of the game, all 6 or 7 of my cities were producing wealth and my research level was at 40-50, and i still would have a negative gold per turn. I barley won the game with that temple of lumonocity (or w/e its called ;)) victory. My inflation was 500 something =0. About 10 turns were remaining.

In my current games im playing as the Illians. I had a few barbarian issues at the start so i had a decent size military built up to hoard off the barbarians. But soon they were all gone and im expanding like crazy. I have about 5 cities now, with room for 1 more before i go to war. I'm on turn 330 and my inflation is 25. I dont want it to end up like my elven game. So any tips?

4. HadesScorn

HadesScorn Warlord

1. Cottages. You must continually increase your wealth.
    2. +xx% Money buildings. Put them everywhere. I mean even the city producing 5 gold a turn
    3. -XX% Maintenance buildings. Again, build them everywhere
    4. Specialize! Throw in a few merchants into a large city. Build wonders that give boosts to gold production. Make this city a moneymaker.

In FfH, you cannot control inflation. You can only outrun it.

5. Azhral

Azhral Let's get Tactical!

Inflation is directly related to costs. The only way to lower it is to lower your costs. Use civics that reduce city maintenance or have an upkeep of low, manage your military so you don't have heaps of units running around that you have to pay for.

Running RoK and spamming Temples can increase income, as can spreading the religion of any Holy City you have. Holy City + Bazaar of Mammon = heaps of income.

If all else fails, try rushing your opponent in the first few hundred turns and win the game before it becomes a problem :p

6. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

Yea but midway through the game, i practically had every city filled with money making and maintenance buildings. And tonns of cottages.

Winning in the first few hundred turns is no fun ;)

7. Jabie

Jabie Wanted in Monte Carlo...

There's a hidden game option to turn it off. I forget the exact XML file (gameoptions maybe), just set the value from 0 to 1.

8. DaveGold

DaveGold Emperor

Inflation is just part of the game, as it is in normal Civ 4. It balances your growing economy. It drives you to expand and improve or else you stagnate. If you think that inflation is killing you then you're probably short of economic power, plain and simple, and you can complain about inflation, army maintenance, or anything else but you just need more money.

Look at the civics and see how they drive up your income. City states, consumption, and free trade will usually support any messy economy. Trade routes are important and if you have no trading partners you need mercantilism. Big income from the Bazaar built in a religious city will help too.

The Illians and the elves both lose river trade if they have their special terrain (forest/ice) on the riverside plot. This nibbles at your economy but shouldn't cause it to fail in the end game.

9. Honor

Honor Immortal

You cannot control the inflation rate, it just keeps rising through the game - unless you turn it off, that is.

10. benana

benana Warlord

Also, don't forget that maintaining a huge military outside your cultural borders will consume lots of money!