1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Info Addict

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Mod Components' started by robk, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Raptor Llama

Raptor Llama Chieftain

Infoaddict still works fine, the only issue is in the economic section, it messes up the import export thing completely.

2. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Tell robk that that part is an easy fix, he has to look into deal:GetNextItem() inside the economic view block of code, which has new return parameters that he needs to add to his function call so that he uses the new "real" fromPlayer value from the function... basically, there is a data3 and a flag1 items returned before fromPlayer.

That fixes the import/export problem. ;)

3. Eunomiac

Eunomiac Chieftain

This poor genius posted the above back in May and sadly there was no response; I wanted to second this request, because it's a really exciting idea.

The wealth of statistics Info Addict provides, taken in the aggregate and averaged over multiple games, could contribute to absolutely fascinating statistical analyses---not only of AI behaviors, but also to help evaluate specific strategies: Do the long-term payoffs of doing X actually make up for the short-term setbacks? Does strategy Y actually play better than strategy Z? As Venice, what is the immediate/short-term/long-term impact of forcing unpopular "Blockade Germany" and "Standing Army Tax" resolutions through the World Congress? (Spoiler: Bad/Worse/WTF-Nukes?!)

It goes without saying (no such thing on the internet, so I'm saying:) that statistics give no hard-and-fast answers. But an analysis of twenty-five similar games with an eye to a specific question would surely provide some fascinating and useful insights, at the very least!

4. Kogut

Kogut Chieftain

I believe robk won't update this mod anymore, can you please make your file available to download?

5. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

It is available, but I use a modified version (IA light, a.k.a. Global Relations) that is available as a download right here in Mod Comps...

I can give you the line to fix, though: open a good txt editor, such as Notepad++ (though any will do), and look for the lines where the following function is called inside InfoAddictCivRelations.lua:

GetNextItem()

The pre-BNW function returned fewer results than it does now, so that breaks the code: previously, it was something like

itemType, duration, finalTurn, data1, data2, fromPidDeal = m_Deal:GetNextItem();

Now, it is:

itemType, duration, finalTurn, data1, data2, data3, flag1, fromPidDeal = m_Deal:GetNextItem();

You just need to add those two extra arguments (data3 and flag1) to the function call; I found the call twice in my lua file, inside the economic view block of code. I am not sure if the full IA has more calls, but I doubt it. Bar any other problems, this little change should fix your messed imports/exports display...

OR: You could try the light version ;)... only shows the information that is really available to the player in the base game, plus some more niceties (but never going above the information scarcity of the base game...)

6. tomtom5858

tomtom5858 Chieftain

Confirming that it's only the two locations in full IA :) Also uploading the file for those too lazy to do it themselves.

Attached Files:

7. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Cooperative work at its best. Good!

8. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

The information shown by the IA but "not available in the base game" are - at least the vast majority of them - in fact available, just not directly. Instead, you have to use the available information and calculate those other information, which is very similar to what CivWillard does. I love it when IA does those tedious calculations for me, because I would do it anyway - manually if necessary. In Real Life, leaders would staff out those kind of policy calculation to their aids, too.

I would, however, love to have a version of IA that does show all information either directly available to indirectly deducible from the game, but does not change the savegames.

9. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Incorrect. There is no way in game to deduct or calculate, for example: Science points for each civilization, military strength for each civilization. Those are two key pieces of information that are not available to the player by design, and play a very important role in deciding/adapting/changing your strategy. The beauty of modding is that, well, who wants to use the mod, can, but who does not like the approach, can ignore it or modify it. Personally, I find the information displayed by full IA very close to cheating, but that is my opinion.

10. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

There's two sides to that (especially the military strength as I am not sure on the other informations):

1) There's a guesstimate available in the leader ranks, no? Or does that only show the best leader and you? And then there's the Advisors "more, less or equal".
    2) The AI does know that. It's unfair that I don't!

So I haven't played yet with your Info Addict light (since I haven't played at all, I will use it ;)) so I don't know what you show and what not. I'd like it personally if those rough terms, and not the exact numbers could be shown. I do agree that Info Addict shows too much, but then I very rarely used it all...

The base game doesn't show an AI's attitude and treaties with another AI, right? And I would hate to lose that...?

11. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Demographics is the designed tool of comparison, and it only shows best/average/worse so you can have an idea of your overall situation. A few times during the game you get the rankings, but that is not even close to having the ranking and numbers turn by turn. As for the military advisor, yes, with the help of glider1 we have included in the light version a tooltip that uses the same calculation as the Advisor (looked inside the dll) to tell you with the same wording the approximate ratio of military power to each of the other civs (pathetic/weak/similar/strong/powerful/immense).

By the way, I am not campaigning or advocating against robk's masterpiece. I just stated above that the corrected files for the imports/exports bug were inside the light version, but I could help by pointing out where to find the broken piece of code. Then some small question/debate ensued, and it was interesting to follow up.

Bottom line, everyone should use what they feel fits their view of the game best. I just happen to prefer the "information scarcity" approach of the base game.

12. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

I did say "the vast majority of the information shown by IA". In other cases - like the ones you've named - I'd be perfectly happy if IA no longer shows those information.

13. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Just out of curiosity, because I really don't know which ones you refer to, what is the vast majority that you can calculate from the base game? I find most of the IA info is not.

I will give you a beautiful example. When the AI calculates it's "disposition" for war (you can see this inside the dll code recently released), it first grabs the number representing the military strength (let's call it MIL), and then uses this number to calculate an approximate strength (or threat) level for any other player, EXACTLY the same calculation that shows you those levels in the military advisor. The AI then uses each level to adjust some modifiers that affect its disposition for war, or any other stance (DECEPTIVE, HOSTILE, etc).

In other words, its "thinking" process mimicks what the human player would do: look at the advisor, see the key word (WEAK, PATHETIC, STRONG, IMMENSE, etc), and decide from there.

Now, IA shows you MIL directly, and for every civ. Now you are using the direct information, the absolute value, to decide something, while the AI is using the approx. level. Effectively, by seeing the absolute value MIL and its progression for every single turn, you are cheating against the AI.

14. EsoEs

EsoEs Chieftain

Can someone please help me get this to work? Ive manually downloaded and installed v .19, cleared my cache, loaded the mod then loaded a previous save and I see no obvious way of viewing any of this information. Is there something im supposed to be clicking to get this to work? Playing latest version of BNW, thanks!

15. Seek

Seek Chieftain Supporter

You may need to start a new game, EsoEs - I'm not sure if it's save-game compatible.

Btw, any plans for more LPs?

16. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

InfoAddict has always depended on being in effect for the whole game. It builds its own table of data history or somethin'.

With BNW, economic info in the diplo tab is messed up. It shows my trades (e.g., my citrus for their truffles) as all going from me to the other civ.

17. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

See above (#565). One line of code is all it takes to correct that.

18. robk

robk Chieftain

I just updated Info Addict to v20 for some BNW goodness. Apologies for taking so long for the update - I had to wait for something like a holiday weekend to dive into the new stuff. :mischief:

Changes:
    • Added influence, great works, trade routes and tourism as new metrics to track.
    • Current international trade routes are shown in Global Relations.
    • Added some more info messages to log at startup to record the leader names of each civ.
    • Historical graphs will now display data correctly when all values are 0.
    • Up to 5 connectors possible in the civ relations screen now, instead of 3.
    • Italian translation added. Thanks Simone1974.
    • Imports and exports fix in civ relations graph. Thanks Aristos for pointing out the extra args to m_Deal:GetNextItem().
    • Compatible with patch 1.0.3.80.

19. lockstep

lockstep Chieftain

Thanks for the update! :goodjob:

20. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

pssss.... Thank YOU!!