1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Info on Next Patch

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Rohili, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Rohili

Rohili King

Greg has posted some early info on the next patch over at the 2K forums. It seems like they will be focusing on AI and diplomacy, which is great news since those are the two areas that I think need the most work. Especially diplomacy - it is unacceptable that the only reason to talk to the AI now is to trade luxuries or sign research agreements very 30 turns.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1267383#post1267383

Fingers crossed that the patch will be released within this month!

Edit: Update from Greg: (11/10)

2. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Diplomacy patch!

I can't wait to see the patch notes. It means we may be able to some some of the hidden things that we haven't seen about the opaque diplomacy.

3. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Not too surprising, but great news nonetheless.

4. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

Hopefully this means that after this patch I can start playing again.

5. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

Excellent :goodjob:

6. Larsenex

Larsenex King

In that above thread I love the guy who wants to 'insult the AI'...I shot milk out my nose.

7. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

Hopefully it's more then a patch, hopefully it's a complete overhaul.

Bring back diplomacy modifiers and the ability to have friends!

8. Jharii

Jharii King

AI and Diplomacy. Excellent news!! This is very much needed. :)

9. gunter

gunter King

Not to be pessimistic guys but all of us know the AI dramatic state, I think a patch even if dedicated to the AI can't switch the lead into gold.

So we should expect tiny improvements here and there but the DNA will be the same.

Told that I think that we should flood Firaxis with suggestions now, before it is too late.

10. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

What about the game's design is unchangeable and prevents the AI from improving to a level you find suitable?

(i.e. What AI problems do you think cannot be fixed with a patch by the developer?)

11. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

I will ( not :D ) pay to see ...

12. gunter

gunter King

DNA issue.

We know how the AI behave during everything it does, from conducting a war to moving units, from moving naval units to air ones, the total lack of AI usage of nukes etc etc..

The game devs only used massive cheats to increase the game difficulty of levels and, again, we all know how the AI behaves within diplomacy.

So, if the only way found by devs to increase the AI power is cheating what do you expect from improving the AI via the next patch ?

Obviously devs can't improve diplomacy like they did for everything in the game therefore allowing the AI massive diplo bonus therefore the DNA can't be changed because devs can't imagine how to set up a decent AI at all, diplo included.

Simple, flat and scaring at the same time.

13. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

You keep saying "DNA issue" in regards to a piece of software and you think you are conveying useful information.

AIs in many games "cheat", oftentimes it's the only way they can remain competitive. The AI cheated in Civ IV, and in Civ III. And your last point isn't obvious at all, it's pure speculation and I'm having trouble actually understanding your sentence. What I've gathered from it is that you think "The devs can't improve diplomacy because the devs can't improve diplmacy", pretty circular...

Could you point to some specific examples of AI problems that can't be fixed with updates? What are some "DNA issues"?

14. gunter

gunter King

That's not a problem if you can't understand me, the AI IS a problem instead.

Don't worry mate, you will picture what I mean when the next patch will be released.

15. Sonereal

What are DNA issues in the first place? :confused:

We're talking about a piece of software, not....life.

Saying "the AI is a problem instead" doesn't mean anything. It's just a random phrase that has absolutely no weight because it doesn't say why the AI is a problem.

16. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

I agree that the AI has problems.

Your point was that the problems are inherent to the "DNA" of the game. First of all, I don't get what you mean by DNA. Second, why can't these problems be fixed via updates?

Lastly, it doesn't end the argument in your favor just by saying "wait and see to see that I am right".

EDIT: Kinda becoming clear you don't really know what you are talking about. :(
    EDIT2: Don't even know how many times I've answered a direct question like "What do you mean by your statement x?" only to have a reply that says "Not my problem you don't understand, learn english"... so pathetic

17. gunter

gunter King

Who want to understand me already did it or will do soon.

In my country as DNA we refer to the " core " of a structure, beside the biologic meaning of that word.

I didn't want to be on the right side of the discussion, I just told which is my opinion and just stated that you should reserve the right to think at this post after the the next patch will be released.

Is it so diffucult thinking on 3 dimensions considering also the time within ideas ?

I think it's easy

18. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

Listen, instead of getting more and more esoteric and vague with each post, why don't you just give me an example of a problem that is inherent to the "core of the structure" in Civilization V and one that you feel cannot be addressed/fixed with a software update?

19. Sonereal

No....I really don't think they will or do.

Ok?

Except you stated your opinion as a fact. :rolleyes:

Wait. What does thinking in terms of width, length, and depth have to do with anything?

It is.

It just has nothing to do with anything.

20. Ankh

Ankh Warlord

gunter

you make no sense whatsoever!

Back on topic,

I doubt the patch will make the AI godlike, but hopefully we will be able to interact with the AI a bit more then renewing trade every 30 turn.

I want to be able to threat the AI
    I want to be able to bribe the AI to like me
    I want to tell him to lay of that attack against a city state or I will DOW
    I want to be able to coexist with a neighbour peacefully

There's a lot you can to with diplomacy with a patch, It will improve but I would not expect some kind of miracle.