Info on Next Patch

Call it pointless, but I would love for them to bring back the historical chart/data for the end game victories. Always made finishing the game that much more rewarding :)

i remember seeing a thread in the strategy subforum where someone had a little web app that could do the replay for you. the replay files are made by the game, but just isn't processed

Real life examples have nothing to do with this. Secondly, even if we bring in real life, real life is day by day and isn't measured in turns. And finally, "plenty of us" can't be measured.

No beaker overflow leads to a micromanagement so large that it dwarfs almost every other decision that you can make in the few turns leading up to the tech. It can lead to a tech or two difference in 20-30 turns. It is not fair to ask the player to make such a small difference to their empire that would lead to such a massive change in how fast they tech. Why should I have to perform paper napkin math 3 turns before a new tech just so I know if I'm going to waste a lot of beakers? If I don't do that math, I could lose up to a turn of teching. PieceOfMind said all of this before in a much more example filled way than I did, as you've read.

I don't think there's a single person that pays attention to beaker overflow and finds that micromanagement fun. I think there's a section of players that find it necessary and hate doing it, and I think the rest just don't care either way or even notice.

I agree with you. I see how beaker micromanagement is powerful, but because of the tediousness, I choose to ignore it and accept the waste as normal. While I do loke some micromanagment, I dont want it to be that tedious. I do respect how some players want it, so why not create an toggle on beaker overflow? Wouldnt that satisfy everyone? I personally would like beaker overflow.

Thanks for the heads-up, Greg.

Just for the sake of convenience, I copied the additional changes added in 12/3 update and pasted the list below. (This is not the complete list, only the most recent additions.)

AI
•AI will be more aggressive about pursuing Diplo victory if they are wealthy. (Added 12/3)
•AI more effective with building, moving, and using aircraft and anti-aircraft more effectively. (Added 12/3)
•AI more likely to effectively use siege units in a city attack. (Added 12/3)
•Better nuke targeting by AI. (Added 12/3)
•Tactical AI Tuning: Reduce chance of AI civs making "suicide" attacks. (Added 12/3)
•Multiple tweaks and bug fixes. (Added 12/3)

GAMEPLAY
•Increased city strength ramp-up based on technology. (Added 12/3)
•Catapults and Trebuchets now weaker against units but stronger VS cities, and reduced effectiveness of Archers & Crossbowmen (and their UUs) VS cities. (Added 12/3)
•Have culture cost for policies never go down (trading away cities to reduce culture cost exploit). (Added 12/3)
•Reduced effects of Forbidden Palace and Meritocracy (Happiness per city). (Added 12/3)
•Reduced points from Wonders & Cities, increased points for population. (Added 12/3)
•Reduced culture needed for first plot acquisition. (Added 12/3)
•New Building: Circus Maximus (National Wonder for happiness track). (Added 12/3)
•New Building: National Treasury (National Wonder for economic track). (Added 12/3)
•Unhappiness beyond a certain point breeds rebels within your empire, based on the number of cities a player has. (Added 12/3)
•Reduced amount of food needed for cities to grow at larger sizes. (Added 12/3)
•Tradition branch balance (Landed Elite and Monarchy improvements). (Added 12/3)
•Liberty branch balance (Settler training bonus now only applies to capital). (Added 12/3)
•Buildings can now no longer provide more Happiness than there is population in a city (wonders are excluded from this). (Added 12/3)
•3 new additional Natural Wonders added to gameplay, with accompanying “rarity” code. (Added 12/3)
•Multiple Tech Tree tweaks to address “slingshot” tech exploits. (Added 12/3)
•Killing a barb inside a city-state's territory now gives a 5-turn buffer where there is no Influence intrusion penalty. (Added 12/3)
•Reduced and balanced combat bonuses. (Added 12/3)

UI
•Additional updates to the Global Politics screen. (Added 12/3)
•Added game option to disable turn-blocking promotions and policy choices. (Added 12/3)

DIPLO
•Additional AI attitude tool-tips for cases that were not already covered. (Added 12/3)

MODDING
•Support for mods that perform major restructuring of the tech tree including adding, deleting, and updating techs, buildings, and units. (Added 12/3)
•Added GameEvents system for overriding Gameplay DLL specific functionality. (Added 12/3)
•Fixed "Reload Landmark System" mod flag to now refresh landmarks defined in "ArtDefine_Landmarks". (Added 12/3)
•Multiple SDK Updates (details to come with full patch notes). (Added 12/3)

Seriously, I gonna choke for this new batch, there has a lot of big change.

Thank for update!!

Most happy about these:

•AI will be more aggressive about pursuing Diplo victory if they are wealthy. (Added 12/3)
•AI more effective with building, moving, and using aircraft and anti-aircraft more effectively. (Added 12/3)
•AI more likely to effectively use siege units in a city attack. (Added 12/3)
•Better nuke targeting by AI. (Added 12/3)
•Tactical AI Tuning: Reduce chance of AI civs making "suicide" attacks. (Added 12/3)

I guess this means the AI will actually use nukes and aircraft now!

I'm really interested in this one:

•Unhappiness beyond a certain point breeds rebels within your empire, based on the number of cities a player has. (Added 12/3)

I wonder how they will implement this?

BIG FAT UPDATE.

I just updated the OP over at the 2K Forums with a large batch of new changes. I think you guys will be really happy with this batch.

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?98034-Info-on-Next-Patch-(Update-12-3)

Wow.

Reduced effects of Forbidden Palace and Meritocracy (Happiness per city). (Added 12/3)
Liberty branch balance (Settler training bonus now only applies to capital). (Added 12/3)
Buildings can now no longer provide more Happiness than there is population in a city (wonders are excluded from this). (Added 12/3)

Seems that the Liberty branch has been rendered (almost) obsolete.

Strongly discouraging not only ICS, but bigger empires in total, as far as I can see.
Happy to see that finally we are forced to play the game "as intended", no longer as one would like.

This patch certainly looks better and better:)

Wow.

Seems that the Liberty branch has been rendered (almost) obsolete.

Strongly discouraging not only ICS, but bigger empires in total, as far as I can see.
Happy to see that finally we are forced to play the game "as intended", no longer as one would like.

Yeah it sounds like ICSing will be a bit harder now. No longer can you build a Colosseum in a 2 pop city and have it give 4 happiness, and now that meritocracy and The Forbidden Palace are getting nerfed it will make happiness even harder to come by for big empires.

As long as they didn't go overboard, definitely looks like they're paying attention to the comments on the board.

As long as they didn't go overboard, definitely looks like they're paying attention to the comments on the board.

I strongly wonder what's the point with "global happiness", when happiness now becomes local (except for wonders).
Seems to have got more like "global unhappiness".

I predict over-reaction; a lot removed here and not much added (in the sense that the big ticket changes are pretty clearly aimed at making the game more restrictive.) I also predict imbalance (in the sense that they will need to patch the patch, given the level of the changes.) Some good in there, but I think that the real fixed involve changes to underlying mechanics (e.g. the cost for new cities) rather than tweaks to the broken global happiness metric.

Originally Posted by SuperJay
AI
Sounds good!

Especially considering that now puppeted cities easily can break your neck.
Either more genocide (razing) or huge maps are becoming obsolete, too.

Looks as if they have been heavily thinking about this. :rolleyes:

A lot of these changes are exactly what various balance mods are implementing. Firaxis is clearly paying attention. I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about the game in the long term.

Top Bottom