Info on Upcoming Patches from Jon Shafer

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Pyrkaige, Oct 11, 2010.

1. CaptainBinky

CaptainBinky Warlord

Console games are comparatively easy to test though. Test it on a PS3, if it works, it works on all PS3s.

PC development is an utter nightmare. It's nothing to do with relative workmanship.

(and also, some console games do get patched)

2. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Chieftain

Thats an issue of hardware compatibility. That's now what we're talking about. We're talking about bugs, and bugs are present regardless of hardware configuration. I for one, agree that consoles have PCs beat the death on this issue. Console developers are living proof that it is entirely possible and feasible to create and publish a relatively bug-free game.

3. Zechnophobe

Zechnophobe Strategy Lich

Um, bugs can be caused by hardware incompatibility, so I don't think you are really correct here. At least not in your grouping terminology. If you are trying to say that there are certain types of bugs that are not caused by hardware, then yes, that is absolutely true. And they are very much at fault for such bugs.

4. hclass

hclass Prince

I feel disappointed for they only want to release patch in one big package rather than each (or few) correction as soon as it is ready, that forfeit one of the major feature of STEM.

And as a programmer I know, argument like regular small patch could mean player must start new game after each patch due to incompatible save game file is simply innocent thought. It is not that hard to deliver a small converter program together with each patch to convert and make save game compatible.

Problem like indefinite peace treaty should be rectified within 24 hours upon verified. It is irresponsible to delay longer than that with any excuse let alone the excuse that that fixes will all come in one shot...

I really wish, besides those hardware bugs and obvious silly mistakes user have raised, what about those "metaphorical claims that Civ5 is poor in this and that"
    I wish to hear from Firaxis about their standpoint, or what do they think about those claims. I am not saying that they must fully agree to those claims, I just want to know what is all the reasons behind the changes (that cause all those complaints)

Keeping quiet, and just throw customers a list of "what we are going to fix" is no other than saying "Hey you fools, just shut up and wait... you will be treated later"

5. Mikkow

Mikkow Chieftain

They are not permitted to release small patches without a full scale (not just the issues patched then, but the whole game needs to be tested) Q&A cycle. They said in the 2kforums that while they could a small number of fixes and get them out a bit (not much) sooner, it would make them so much slower to fix issues in the long term since it is slow and inefficient to be stuck in Q&A over and over.

This is logical and I understand. What I question is the policy of having to do a Q&A (no idea who made that). If say the original release has a few glaring nasty bugs that can be easily fixed by a small tweak of a number in an XML file, would it not be better to fix something that really is broken by bypassing Q&A? Most likely it won't make it any worse - and if it did it could be fixed probably just as quickly anyway.

Designating certain files of the game as being liberated of Q&A cycle would probably raise the quality of the product a lot - and fast.

6. numaru7

numaru7 Chieftain

And what is also true is that bugs caused by hardware incompatibility are rare compared to the others.

7. iRule

iRule Warlord

I just want to know whether I'll be able to play past 1900 in my Huge map game with 12 civs and 20-something City States.

I have a i7 920, 6gb DDR3 of RAM and a ATI HD4870 GDDR5 1gb and it takes me around 40 seconds to pass a turn. It's impossible and unbearable. For me this is the worst of all the problems.

Did Firaxis talked about fixing this? Am I the only one with the same problem? Is there something I can do?

Thanks. Sometimes I feel bad about wasting those 50€ in this game when Civ IV was much better.

8. testdummy653

testdummy653 Prince

I really wish the mods, just closed this thread... I get so excited when i see this pop up on the main forum threadlist. And in the end this news is old.