Info on Upcoming Patches from Jon Shafer

Is this statement completely meaningless? If he's able to work on CIV5 then he'll ensure he will. If he's not able to work on CIV5 then it doesn't matter anyway.

I read that to mean: His job is on the line and he's not sure if he'll still be around to fix the glaring problems with the game.

My god, you guys really are the biggest pessimists in the universe.

Saying that he will work on CivV as long as he is able to doesn't mean his job is on the line. That's quite an assumption to make.

When I read that, I took it to mean that he plans to be working on Civ 5 for a long time, hopefully a good long 5 years, like Civ 4 had.

Isn't it possible to use the FireTuner to verify or refute his claims about AI "cheating"?

Seems almost impossible to see how the AI's wallet can fluctuate several thousand gold from one turn to the next when its running deficits in the hundreds. Sure it could trade for it but how when all other AI are in the same boat and the wonder refund only applies if a wonder is actually built by someone else but the "instant cash" rarely coincides with "wonder built messages" ..

Very curious :D
..When I read that, I took it to mean that he plans to be working on Civ 5 for a long time, hopefully a good long 5 years, like Civ 4 had.
I read it as: "When they pry it from my cold, dead hands!" .. and I consider myself a pessimist :D

When I read that, I took it to mean that he plans to be working on Civ 5 for a long time, hopefully a good long 5 years, like Civ 4 had.

Then he would have said to be working on Civ0.V up to the moment when they are going to release Civ6.

I am pretty sure they (Firaxis) are shocked by the fire they're getting from all sides - and that is something for which the lead designer has to take responsibility, since (and that's the contrast to Civ4's initial release) people are mostly complaining the design, less the technical issues, which come on top of it all.

And now 2K is in despair about all the planned income from the DLC's which have to wait until the core game is fixed.

Being a developer I can say that his comments regarding working on Civ 5 as long as he can probably implies he will work on Civ 5 as long as management doesn't reassign him to whatever their next project is going to be.

Being a developer I can say that his comments regarding working on Civ 5 as long as he can probably implies he will work on Civ 5 as long as management doesn't reassign him to whatever their next project is going to be.

Correct statement, I assume until the end of December, then the payware addons will start to use and abuse Shafer.

We must hurry to help him working on patches, time is running out quickly

Unless I'm going Liberty, I actually buy my settlers. I don't like putting my cities on hold waiting for them to pop.

Yah it depends on your strategy. I usually beeline straight to Stonehenge/Great Library/Oracle and those all go into my first city. I also play on pretty big maps so I need the scouts out there uncovering the map. Sometimes if I see a really good location that I'm afraid a close AI leader might jump on for a city, I'll purchase a settler but usually I'll always start angling for a Culture victory so I don't need a lot of cities. ;)

Some people are never happy.

It doesn't matter what the news or update will be, people like this will always take cynicism to an extreme level. We finally get some good news, and we know that the dev team has been listening to the complaints and is addressing them directly, but you still have to crap all over it for some reason.

What's weird is that you have the "Say no 2 net validations" tag so one can assume you don't even own the game, so why does all this concern you anyway? Why are you here just to create controversy? Can you back up ANY of the statements you have made in this post?

I'm sure there are some people around here who got the game through nefarious means and then demand that it be fixed by spending many man hours of expensive senior developer time...

Undisputable fact - Many people feel cheated at the game quality and would like to have a refund.

ndisputable fact - when you use many, it becomes irrelevant. "Many" doesn't quantify anything with statistical certainty, it just makes it an anecdote.

? they only released 1/3 of the game..90% of which is old content with a graphic update...

The unit pathfinding upgrade in SC2 (which came with the new engine) is as big as Civ series going from square into hex tile with 1upt. Not to mention the new editor is extremely powerful and complex (with a major downside of new bnet being painful to deal with distributing custom map). So your "90%" comment is way off base because major aspects of the game changed for better or worse.

Find a game that is ever released fully completed and polished.......

Starcraft II and nearly every Blizzard game for that matter.

Releasing games unfinished with the expectation that players will ignore the shortcomings because "every game is made this way" is Moderator Action: <snip> . The only reason games are released in unfinished/broken states is greed.

The gaming industry is also the only industry that can get away with it because the majority of their customers are young and are being exposed to this for the first time in their lives. There's always a new wave of suckers being born and gaming companies rely on it.

Moderator Action: Swearing is not allowed on these forums, if you see that your post has triggered the autocensor, please go back and edit it. Thanks. :)
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

*cough StarcraftII cough*

Starcraft2 was funded by a gigantic company that sucked huge money out of 10million WoW accounts. I think it's an unfair comparison.

Also I remember Starcraft 1 as well as World of Warcraft went retail with huge amount of unbalance and bugs then improved overtime.

Starcraft2 was funded by a gigantic company that sucked huge money out of 10million WoW accounts. I think it's an unfair comparison.

Also I remember Starcraft 1 as well as World of Warcraft went retail with huge amount of unbalance and bugs then improved overtime.

And WoW is never balanced. The classes are constantly being rebalanced as new content is added.

ind a game that is ever released fully completed and polished.......

Actually, over the last twenty years I've seen a steady improvement in the overall technical quality, stability, and balance of computer games. This includes release software. I don't see why we have to accept poor standards nowadays.

? they only released 1/3 of the game..90% of which is old content with a graphic update...

The singleplayer campaign is awesome. I'd rather have one AWESOME campaign than 3 horsehockey campaigns.

Edit: Okay people, the blizzard bashing is getting out of hand. Stop getting your facts from other people and go play the damn games.

TLDR:

You're acting like the type of people who watch Glenn Beck and Fox news.

I watch Fox News and Glen Beck, don't see how that applies to opinions on games ;).

I find Civ 5 interesting so far, though I did hit the puppet city you can't end turn bug, that was VERY frustrating.

I find the new concepts interesting and see where they are trying to go. The new culture system and usage is great IMO. I love the policy envrionment and the 1 UPT is "intersting", not sure where I come down on that yet.

I do think the game was a little buggy for release (I am a professional developer). I think most of the AI issues are due to such drastic changes in the system that they have to "feel it out" to see where the AI should balance.

As for the Blizzard comparisions: I'm an avid Blizzard fan and buy every title they make. Generally their games are solid and playable at release. Again they have balance issues generally but few to no core game mechanic issues like the current CIV 5 seems to have.

I don't consider balance issues (tweaking an AI) game breaking. I do consider AI's the can't do the basics busted and that is more then just balance IMO.

All in all, glad I bought Civ5 and will keep playing when I need a break from my SC2 addiction.

Don't forget that they started developing Starcraft 2 at the same time Firaxis started to develop Civ4.

None of this changes the fact that patches are coming real slow, I see laziness and lack of any good news. I feel really bad for the product I have acquired.

The community on these forums are pulling <snip> together faster than people that get paid for doing it.

Moderator Action: Swearing is not allowed on this forum, if you see that your post has triggered the autocensor, please go back and edit it. Thanks. :)
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Top Bottom