1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

INFORMATIONAL - Capitol Province

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game II: Polls' started by FionnMcCumhall, Nov 8, 2002.

?

Should we have a Capitol Province?

1. YES

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. NO

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  3. Abstain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FionnMcCumhall

FionnMcCumhall Emperor

Should we really have a capitol province? or should we scrap this idea? Vote YES. NO, or ABSTAIN. Poll will be up til quorum is reached or 48 hrs whichever is first

2. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

we decided on it before.
    so we shall live with it :)
    so i voted YES...

but the idea to work around the circumstances would be:
    dont take bavaria as "real" province, make it a district!
    it could then be governed by the domestic department like all non-provincial cities.

no rule change or repoll would be needed!

3. Almightyjosh

Almightyjosh Governor in Waiting

See this is a little misleading. We already have a capital province, it's called Bohemia! What you are asking is:

'Should we reduce the Capital Province of Bohemia to one city and thus render it useless and undermine the whole exercise of A: Making a province and B: Attemting some level of equality between provinces?'

In that case, no.

4. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

the thus render it useless, AJ, is not true... see my post above ;-)

5. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

I said this 2 months ago. :) No.

6. Eklektikos

Eklektikos Eponymous

I agree that the capital province is a pretty daft idea, but the people have already spoken on this issue. I'm not sure what this poll is supposed to achieve. :confused:

7. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

In an effort to stay consistent, I will choose YES in this poll since I voted for the Capitol province. Fionn, I would not consider the passing of the Capitol Province a vote against your leadership; my vote was cast with the hope of increasing the senate(which now seems destined to be an issue as well!). Besides, I am sure any campaign you run next term will be quite successful as the people will want to reward you for enduring this presumed slight.
    So, everybody please, let's let the system work and move on to the next issue.

8. Padma

Padma the Absent Admin Administrator Supporter

I agree with Dis: we approved the Capital Province idea, now we need to live with our decision. (I still think it was a good decision, BTW. :p )

I do think Fionn should get to govern a "real" province, but that will probably have to wait till next term.

9. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

Anyways, i hope all notice that this poll is only informational (and imho useless as it would have been more efficient to directly start discussign border redesign instead, which nobody did till now!).
    As such, even if no wins, the province will still be there. I will soon post an OFFICIAL poll on whether to not grand bavaria the provincial status and thus have it governed by Domestic instead.

10. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

I assume the purpose of this poll is to see if citizens have changed their minds about a one city capital province. It is possible that some citizens have changed their mind in this idea. I for one do not feel compelled to vote yes here simply because some other poll *barely* passed this *daft* proposal. (Thanks for that adjective EK!) This is not something we must live with though it will take more than this poll to change our provincial borders. This is an appropriate step towrds trying that and I have voted no here because I never did like the idea. :king:

11. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

It's quite possible that many people who voted for the capital city province didn't realize the extended effects of that layout. This poll is an excellent attempt to get a quick barometer reading of the current (post implementation) feelings. Don't feel constrained to vote the same way as you did before (either for or against). If you think it's a bad idea now, vote no. If you voted no before but want to keep it now vote yes.

One thing we should never do is get into the mindset that rules and decisions must not be subsequently overruled simply because they were accepted previously. If we did that we would never be able to fix a mistake.

That said, I think the Capital City Province (and Forbidden Palace City Province) as districts instead of provinces would be an excellent idea. It's also very easy to bring about. So for now, I'm going to cast my vote for YES and work on helping disorganizer to bring this concept to its next evolution.

12. Veera Anlai

Veera Anlai Southern Belle

I don't see any mention of Districts in our laws. I believe any districts would, in truth, just be any areas not in a province. It shouldn't be too hard to have Districts made an official part of our laws though...

Could we perhaps get a Judicial opinion on this?

13. FionnMcCumhall

FionnMcCumhall Emperor

i disagree shaitan i dont think we should exclude the FP city and caiptol city from the rest of our provinces.

14. Bill_in_PDX

Bill_in_PDX Grumpy Submariner

My opinion is that I would prefer that if we were going to create a permanent district of less than three cities, I would hope that we would create a law for it. I always thought it would be really cool to have that city controlled by the Vice President.

On the other hand, and for the short term. It is quite easy to create this district by default. That being the poll dis is pursuing which would in effect remove province status from Bohemia, and thus revert the city back to control of the Domestic department. As long as that city is never included in a future province, then it will stay in control of the Domestice department for all time. Thus, it would be a "district", by default.

Bill
    Chief Justice