1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

INFORMATIONAL POLL - Citizen Honors & City Naming

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game II: Polls' started by Bill_in_PDX, Oct 29, 2002.

?

Should honorees have highest priority in city naming?

1. YES

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. NO

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  3. ABSTAIN

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Bill_in_PDX

Bill_in_PDX Grumpy Submariner

The purpose of this poll is to determine interest, or lack thereof, for eventually changing the laws of Fanatika and removing the right for Honor receipients to jump the chain of command in city naming.

The relevant discussion for this poll is taking place in this thread, and those with opinions are encouraged to post them here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=566045#post566045

This poll is open ended and will remain open until quorum is reached

2. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

It seems to me that the entire Citizen Honors system is flawed. With no time limit to reach quorum and considering the frequency with which these honors have already been doled out, I feel as if the actual "honor" has been greatly diminished.

We actually have as many citizens honored as we have cities at this early point in the game, and that includes the two cities we've captured. Our honorees are actually outpacing our ability to build new cities!

I think we should modify the honoring process itself, and in doing so, put the "honor" back in citizen honors. What about limiting the awards to one of each award per term? Or what about posting a mutli-select poll listing all nominees and selecting those that received votes from over 67% of the participents?

These are just some suggestions that I feel would improve the Citizen Honor System and remove some of the sting that our hard-working, elected officials feel when they lose their naming rights to a popularity contest winner.

3. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

so you should participate in the relevant discussion with those proposals..
    anyways, citizens honoured should be able to name cities. but the system of who names what must be changed imho. see the discussion thread for details. a general yes/no does not help the topic.

4. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

so you should participate in the relevant discussion with those proposals..
    anyways, citizens honoured should be able to name cities. but the system of who names what must be changed imho. see the discussion thread for details. a general yes/no does not help the topic.

5. Bill_in_PDX

well dis, there was a lot of different ideas in the discussion thread, and this info poll is an attempt to keep the discussion going. I've never known you to be opposed to polls before.

6. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Dis I did participate in the relevant discussion. And my idea was immediately shot down as trivial (by you as a matter of fact). Maybe naming Landmarks wouldn't be considered trivial if it was a perk of being honored. I also suggested that a citizen could only be honored for the work that was done in a previous Demogame. The standards would definitely be higher.

I definitely don't think Shaitan should get to name two cities for his honors before everyone else has named their city. That's against the rules. Plain and simple.

Personally, I named a city last game (Khatovar), it got the Camelot Award along with Fox Nest and PDX. I don't think that I can come up with another city name that would do the first one justice. So this doesn't have a personal effect on me. I'm happy. But the idea of placing the popularity contest winners over the Government officials was a bad idea. I think the reason it didn't get shot down was maybe because people thought it was cute. Now it's gotten out of hand and is causing problems no one related the "cuteness" too.

So let's change the "reward" for being an honored citizen.

7. FionnMcCumhall

FionnMcCumhall Emperor

government officials first, then citizen honors

8. gonzo_for_civ

gonzo_for_civ Chicken Walker Retired Moderator

I think the honors system needs some reforms. Is there already a discussion for that?

Anyways, I think honors should be given priority over NON honored citizens and deputies in the govt. Govt. leaders should have priority over everyone else. If there are still any left, govt leaders w/honors should be given first pickings :)

9. Bill_in_PDX