Informational Poll: Do you believe we should pursue peace with the Persians?

How strongly do you wish to have peaceful relations with the Persians?

• Peace at all costs.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Only if they offer us a decent settlement

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Only if they offer us a huge settlement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remain at war

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eyrei

Deity
Retired Moderator
The FA department would like to know to what degree we should pursue a peace treaty with the Persian.

At this point, the primary reason we are at war with them is to give our neighbors someone to fight other than us, so that we can choose our enemies. There is no current military threat from the Persians.

We have alliances with the English, India, Zululand, and China against the Persians. The first 3 can be cancelled at any time, and the Chinese alliance can be cancelled in 4 turns. The first 3 we have already payed for, and so are not costing us anything, while the alliance with China costs us 16gpt.
Obviously, we will want to end all of these alliances before signing any peace treaty, if that is the decision we come to.

Well, this poll seems just a wee bit skewed. We go from peace at all costs to peace for a decent settlement. Isn't there something in between, like peace for peace?

Well, given the structure of the poll I'll have to vote peace at all costs since we cannot get a decent settlement out of Persia now. The best we can get is 11g, which is all of their treasury.

I would like to point out that we cannot really choose our enemies since we would be damaging our reputation were we to choose one of our allies to be our enemy. I would also point out that only India is a close neighbor. The Zulus are on the other side of the world, the English are on the other side of America and the Chinese are on the other side of India.

I would also like to point out that all four of our allies are already at war with Persia. Does our remaining in the war guarantee that they will do the same? Does our making peace with Persia guarantee that these 4 countries will follow suit?

Finally, I would like to ask the FA leader what steps he has taken to bring us to the point of choosing our enemies since that is the avowed reason for continuing this phony war.

What I mean by choosing our enemies is that we do not let them choose us, or at least we significantly reduce the chances of a sudden declaration of war by one of our neighbors. Public opinion has been leaning towards a war of conquest against the Americans, and thus we have no alliances with them that would require breaking.

Also, I will clarify that by 'a decent peace settlement', I mean that we do not pay them anything. As is stated, this is an informational poll, and cannot be an exact science.

Originally posted by eyrei
Public opinion has been leaning towards a war of conquest against the Americans, and thus we have no alliances with them that would require breaking.

Would you please explain how you know public opinion is leaning towards conquering the Americans? I haven't seen any polls on the subjust. If I've missed them please post some links.

Originally posted by donsig

Would you please explain how you know public opinion is leaning towards conquering the Americans? I haven't seen any polls on the subjust. If I've missed them please post some links.

There are posts all over the citizens forum stating this. I have neither the time nor the inclination to dig them up for you. Also, I am pretty sure an alliance with the Americans has never been suggested. Here is a post by FortyJ from last term showing our diplomatic stance towards the Americans as 'Rival' and China as a 'friend'. Here is the spotlight discussion regarding the Americans. I think every person who posted agreed to name them 'rivals'.

Thanks for the two links eyrei. When you stated that public opinion was leaning towards a war of conquest against the Americans I thought you were talking about recent public opinion. These two links go back to a time when Japan was still a major power. They go back to a time before we had the Forbidden Palace in Kyoto. I think it is time we take a look at public opinion again now that Japan is gone.

I think we might find that public opinion has shifted since then. We do not even control all the cities surrounding our Forbidden Palace. Other countries will soon have access to their unique units and a pre-emptive strike on our part may be in order.

Now that the Japanese war is over we also have another consideration to address before we decide to continue the Phony Persian War or launch ourselves into another war. Should we switch to republic? If so then it is time to end the war with Persia.

Local bickering and politiks aside, I feel we should not renew the alliances for the war against Persia. We used the war to our advantage and it worked, but i ses no reason to prelong the war. We can look for other ways to appease our nieghbors. The war should come to an end naturally so there's not a big debate about peace. Take the best deal we can get. I think the real question here is should we lengthen the alliances to solidify our relations with nieghboring war-like tribes. That answer is no.

BTW, as I feel this poll didn't have the wording it needed to express my full opinion, I voted to stay at war, as I don't think we should end the war pre-maturely.

The Chinese still have troops in our territory (in MY province!). I do not like ROP-less, Allience-less AIs in my borders... That's an invitation to war, especially with our workers (international workers, too) working the land.

By letting the alliance run out, CT, we will have fulfilled our end of the agreement. There would be no reason or cause for the Chinese to attack unles they wanted o anyway. I wish there was a way we could let you sell out the dignity of your Province alone, with ROP's and Alliances, so you could see that those agreements are no longer the peace-keeping strongpoints they once were. Where is your trade wisdom? Can't you make another deal with them to keep them happy? How about a 5gpt gift?

Top Bottom