1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

INFORMATIONAL POLL - Renaming Provinces

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game II: Polls' started by FionnMcCumhall, Jan 3, 2003.

?

Should we rename the North and Southwest Provinces

Poll closed Jan 15, 2003.
  1. Yes, we should change the names

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. No, We shouldnt change the names

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. abstain

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. FionnMcCumhall

FionnMcCumhall Emperor

Should we rename the north and southwest provinces. No offense to the governors that named then or failed to do so in a timly fashion but im tired of referring to the north and southwest as province names. So i ask should we rename them or leave them as is. Chime in, its informational anyways so this poll isnt binding

2. Immortal

Immortal Deity

3. Plexus

Plexus Architeuthidae puericomedentis

I belive renaming them would be good.

4. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

I voted "NO", as I believe that would be illegal to do. Also, if we are forced to change the name of the North Province, I will start a campaign to change the name of that boring Province of Taliesin.
    Why would anyone name a Province Taliesin. Personally, I'm getting tired of typing that name already. Why don't we make a new law, so we can change it to something a little less boring?

5. Eklektikos

Eklektikos Eponymous

Fionn, I think you may have failed to realise that the North Province was deliberately kept by its original Governor and the Southwest Province may well be the same. In any case I would be very much against anything that erodes the rights of the Governors to no productive purpose other than the satisfaction of a few individuals' aesthetic sensibilities.

6. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Hmm.. I thought any new governor could rename a province... Some weren't even official names. (Like Gem Mountains, Nordic/North Province) <sarcasm>Of course, if we want to refer to them as Province #5, Province #6, suit yourself.</sarcasm>

7. jorge_roberto

jorge_roberto Warlord

I think the people of Fanatika may change any name (including the name of the country) if they feel it is no more representative.

I don't like North and Southwest. It's too formal and too Cartesian. Let's invent another name.

8. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

Tough one. The North Province is still in the north of the country but the Southwest Province is definitely not our southwest any longer. I guess I would support the second one being changed as it truly no longer makes sense but not the first one as it's still very applicable.

As far as legality of changing a province name:

The first elected governor is given the specific power and privilege of naming a province. No person, even a subsequently elected governor, is given any power to rename a province. I would rule that new legislation would be necessary before a renaming could occur. Perhaps something along the lines of the original namer could subsequently rename the province if there was sufficient public approval for the renaming. That would preserve the intent of the naming benefit for the first elected governor while allowing things like a Southwest province that's in the middle of the country to be corrected.

9. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

I am against re-naming provinces. Only the first govenor should get the privilege of naming a province. We would be tearing that right away from that govenor and that my friends is wrong.

10. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

I don't think that a governor, or anybody else for that matter, should be able to rename a province at the drop of a hat. If we are going to confer this right upon a governor then we should make it rather difficult to do. For example:

The first elected governor of a province currently has the right to name that province. We could grant future govnernors the right to rename that province on the provision that the new name is accepted by a unanimous cabinet vote, a 2/3 senatorial vote, or a 2/3 citizens' vote or some combination of the three.

Of course, there is still the question of granting this right to appointed governors or just the elected ones...

11. Immortal

Immortal Deity

Oh. I did not realize they were "named" northwest province and southwest provinces by the governors they had at their founding. I simply thought no names had ever been given to them and thats how it stayed. If those are there names, and it has been agreed upon, they cannot be changed.

12. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

I have grown quite fond of the Southwest Province. It is easily abbreviated: SW Province or even SWP. It is also quaint to have a southwest province in the middle of Fanatika. When we're all old and sitting around on our porches we can remember back to the days when the Southwest Province was in the southwest!

13. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

The SWP shows how our empire has grown. Its a bit of history. If we change the name, we are killing our history!

14. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

South West Province is kind of a boreing name, we should let the current governor of thier Province suggest the renaming(if they wish to rename thier province) and post a poll for the citizens and leaders to vote. I think it's unfair to take away the privilage of the governors to name thier province.

:king:

15. FionnMcCumhall

FionnMcCumhall Emperor

cyc, donsig and everyone else, its just informational, dont get bent out of shape over it.

16. Plexus

Plexus Architeuthidae puericomedentis

I had no idea that the SWP and NP were intentionally named that.