This mod provides an in-game editor for Civ5 to change the map on the fly or to serve as a cheating tool. It was inspired by the built-in Civ4 in-game world builder.
The license is GPL v3.
Notes and features
- Edit a hex or paint the map: You can either paint the map (left click for 1 tile at once, right click for 7 tiles at once) or select a hex and edit it. The screenshot above illustrates the tile selection (in red).
- Build the world: Change terrain, feature, natural wonder, resource, improvements, routes, rivers, ownership, continent arts.
- Units: Add new units or remove them, give your new units up to nine promotions.
- Cities: Customize the cities as you want: increase population, change buildings, change religions, etc.
- Civilizations: Change a leader's gold, faith, culture,give free techs or policies, edit relationships to seed wars or achieve a global peace, etc.
- Technologies: Grant or remove technologies, grant a tech and all of its prerequisites at once, grant a whole era at once.
- Social policies: Lock or unlock branches (even the ones you're not supposed to have at the same time) and grant/remove any social policy.
- Tool tips: The detailed tool tips are here to help you better learn the game by remembering how far an element can be improved.
- Respect the constrains... or not: Elements that should not be possible in the standard game (fishes on a hill for example) are grayed to help you design a natural map. But you're free to ignore those restrictions if you want.
- Not tied to savegames: You can save and reload your game without IGE if you want, or use IGE with a game that has been started without it.
- Gentle with your game: IGE itself is not lightweight. However, when IGE is closed, it absolutely does not interfere with your game, it does not consume a single CPU cycle and it has a negligible memory consumption. It just keeps its bits shut and let you enjoy full performances.
- Most of the UI relies on the localized strings provided by Civ5 (for units' names, etc) and therefore most of the UI will be in your client's language even if IGE does not specifically support it.
- Besides of that, IGE comes with complete localizations in English, French, Chinese, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian and Japanese.
- The displayed screenshots come from an old version of IGE on a French client, before the French localization was introduced. Nowadays, everything would be in French.
- I welcome all translations, it's easy and fast to do. Here is the guide: writing a translation.
- Can be used with or without Gods and Kings and/or Brave new world. With or without DLC.
- Should be compatible with any other mod: does not modify any of the original files and supports mods that declare new resources, features, policies, techs, etc.
- Macs: compatible with the Steam and AppStore versions, see installing mods on mac.
Civ5 bugs that cannot be fixed
Do not be afraid by that list, IGE is perfectly fine for the vast majority of users. It's just it could be better without those bugs.
- On some computers the game crashes when selecting another player or taking seat. A "safe mode" (right-click the *IGE* label) is available as a workaround at the expense of a couple of features. Taking seat will still crash.
- The terrain graphics are not updated after some changes, you need to save and reload.
- "Glance at map" feature: some yield icons are not updated on tiles you shouldn't be able to see.
- "Glance at map" feature: the minimap's fog is not restored after you close IGE.
- No message on the city screen for the "we love the king" days triggered through IGE.
Frequently requested features that won't be done.
Remember that mods can only modify civ5 through the API provided to modder by Firaxis.
- A shrinkable UI: no! Civ5 is no Windows or iOS and its UI systems are therefore pretty basic. Modifying the UI to automatically adjust its size to your screen would require a lot of work.
- Espionage: there is no API to cheat with it.
- Religions: there is no API to modify existing religions (aside of founding them, and adding two beliefs once).
- Archeology: there is not API to properly create sites, great works, or boost tourism.
- Units' religions: there is no API to change the religion of a unit, hence the dirty trick used to spawn religious units.
- Diplomacy: there is no API to directly modify a civ's attitude towards. A mod could achieve a similar behavior through GameEvents but it would be incompatible with some scenarios and tied to savegames.
Common problems and workarounds
- I can't see the IGE label (1) It was not loaded: DO NOT CLICK "BACK"!
- I can't see the IGE label (2) Sometimes civ5 loads no mods if one of the selected mods couldn't be loaded (for example a total conversion mod was enabled but you try to reload a savegame created without it).
- I can't see the IGE label (3) Disable mods that have been removed from Steam, such as Hulfgar's postmodern expansion. Look for them on the web or CivFanatics and install them manually.
- Missing NotificationIconsFreeSocialPolicy.dds. You do use an outdated (and probably cracked) version of the game.
- Steam installation fails. See how to repair Steam install.
- Changing the position of the IGE label. You can easily customize it, see how to change the position.. It is simple and takes less than one minute.
Installation and launch
Notes below are for PC only. Mac users should look at the FAQ for Civ5 on the Mac.
- Unzip the archive in "My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Mods". You should have, among others, a file such as "My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Mods/Ingame Editor (v10)/Ingame Editor (v10).modinfo"
- Delete older versions if any and flush the cache (delete all files in "My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Cache").
- Start or restart Civilization 5.
- Enable the mod. Click "mods", then "browse mods" and check it.
- Start or load a game from the mods menu. From "browse mods", click "next" at the bottom right, check that IGE is listed, click "single player" (on top). Start a new game or load an old one.
- Click IGE on the top right corner, near the current year and turn labels.
- Special thanks to ねこちゃん for the localizability effort and the Chinese translation.
- Al Qamar for the German translation.
- Emerald Viper for the Spanish translation.
- Error404 for the Italian translation.
- Zodiak69 for the Russian translation.
- CJ_GOROH for the Japanese translation.
- CivFanatics and you, people, lurking there, testing, providing feedback, suggestions or critics. IGE owes you a lot.
Willing to contribute?
You can either post your contributions here or use our Sourceforge (IGE) page (SVN), as you prefer. If you want commit rights on SF, just let me know your username and I will register you.
- The CivFanatics database
- The attached files at the bottom of this thread (one file per version, you only need the most recent).
- The Steam workshop for Civ5 (category: other).