Initial Reactions

OK so now that I get this wonderful amazing news I'm going to write down my thoughts on what we know so far, as if anyone cares, feel free to let me know if I'm on target or full of beans.

1. Expansive Empires: You mean I won't have to cram the city of Mubia into one tile? Madness!

This might be a huge step forward, maybe even turning each city into a min-city builder game. I hope they won't over simplify this I'd like to see the return of city health so if your city doesn't expand you start to get sickness points but if you expand outward you might lose resources or some other negative result (since the game implies you're expansions are meant to take advantage of the resources.

2. Active Research: I hope this remains a boost and not a replacement for the current science system. I'm guessing as you discover new land, fight, and do other civy things you'll get points toward your next tech. I like this if its used in conjunction with passive science because it gives a more dynamic feel to the game, instead of imagining a bunch of egg heads sitting in a room writing stuff down you can see whats being done to advance your knowledge.

3.Dynamic Diplomacy:
I've always heard promises of improved diplomacy, I'll believe it when I see it. Conflict being a way of life had better not be code for "always at war until you discover writing" what I think it will mean is that you can attack other civs like barbarians in neutral territory without starting a war that will cost you your cities. Diplomacy has always been a weakness in Civ IMHO so lets see if they can fix that.

4.Combined Arms:
This should have been added when 1upt was brought in. I love this idea, as long as it doesn't devolve back into Stack of Doom II: The Re-stacking. The best way to do this would be to make the support units useless unless attached and come up with units that specialize in attacking corps (ie snipers)

5.Multiplayer and tutorials:
As a single player veteran I can't really comment on this, if someone else wants to tell me their thoughts I won't stop them.

Concerns:
  • Nothing about religion, don't tell me they're going to take it out again and make us pay for it 1 year later.
  • The recent brew-ha-ha over gaming and politics largley spared Civ type games while murdering RPGS and FPSes. I hope that Civ VI doesn't get targeted by pressure groups, beacuse that will kill it dead.
  • I need sleep, I'm nearly 30 and I can't stay up till 3am doing "one more turn" (that started at 12am) anymore. Sid is going to have to fill in for me at work a few times I think.

My initial reaction is that the graphics looks alpha but the features look great.
Ditto. I like the idea of going for a less busy more stylised direction... but really hoped for something more like XCOM which kind of straddles the line between action figure aesthetic (to make it readable) and realism (to keep the atmosphere).

This just reminds me too much of mobile games and loses the sense of gravitas Civ5 really had.

I don't know how good of a job Firaxis is doing, but I really like the way most of it sounds (couldn't care less about MP but I hope it works this time around at release regardless :p), especially finally some improvements to the unit system (I'd really like to see more army based stuff instead of a mishmash of units hording across the map).

Biggest concern is the art style though, it looks like a mobile facebook pay2win game. Especially the unit design. Holy crap what the bloody hell are they thinking? Many of the units just don't look good at all... you'd think they would have gotten the hint from the simplistic, mobile/tablet/facebook games that Sid has worked on directly over the last few years or so which failed MISERABLY. I'd very much like to see more historical based designs (given that Civ has lots of Civs they don't need to be that specific of course) and an actual unit of men instead of a few dudes.

I love everything they said about gameplay. More interesting Military, more diverse City Management, more "presence" on the map. Sounds awesome.

That said, I hope the Art style isn't finished. I actually like the Improvement and City Artstyle. Colors on the Terrain are absolutely over-saturated though, the ground textures look really empty and feature-less and the Mountains... yuck.

Has anyone heard if it will be one unit per tile? That is what put me off Civ V and if it is being dumped I may start to get a bit excited about this.

Yes, thankfully it's still a 1UPT-system:

COMBINED ARMS:
Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.

That said, I hope the Art style isn't finished. I actually like the Improvement and City Artstyle. Colors on the Terrain are absolutely over-saturated though, the ground textures look really empty and feature-less and the Mountains... yuck.
Spot on, cities and improvements are great models. I love the little stone walls on the farms! The "mushy" terrain is a real disappointment, though. I get the whole "cleaner presentation" but at this point, the terrain is just a mono-coloured glow-in-the-dark texture. :(

Also similar type units like Riflemen can be combined into a Corpse. Three tanks into an Army, according to the article.

Yes, thankfully it's still a 1UPT-system:

COMBINED ARMS:
Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.

I'd actually call that a combination of the two systems. It's not really stacking, but we will be combining more than one unit together at times. I think this gets rid of some of the flaws of the one unit per tile system, without scrapping the system altogether. I'm actually very intrigued.

The recent brew-ha-ha over gaming and politics largley spared Civ type games while murdering RPGS and FPSes. I hope that Civ VI doesn't get targeted by pressure groups, beacuse that will kill it dead.
I hope pressure groups will target Civ VI! It will be fun to see Civ games getting murdered like all those RPGs and FPSes, and people fuming over it.

Oh wait... we've already had that discussion a gazillion times on civfanatics. I think it's common knowledge that it was politically correct pressure groups that made Firaxis get rid of Stalin and never consider Hitler. Civ is dead, it has been murdered a long time ago! Oh my god!

Move along people, there's nothing to see here!

I'd actually call that a combination of the two systems. It's not really stacking, but we will be combining more than one unit together at times. I think this gets rid of some of the flaws of the one unit per tile system, without scrapping the system altogether. I'm actually very intrigued.

My guess is that the combined unit will still function as a single unit in terms of moving and fighting on the main map. Also, I assume the stats of the combined unit will vary based on the composition. So if you combine a swordsman with a catapult, you get a single unit that can do both melee and range attacks.

This could be interesting. What I found with Civ V (and I only gave it a couple of months so I may have missed something) was that once you got more than 4 or 5 units that you wanted to act together it was a nightmare of micro management to move them about. If you can group a few units together that are likely to act together that might really work.

[EDIT]
I think it's common knowledge that it was politically correct pressure groups that made Firaxis get rid of Stalin and never consider Hitler. Civ is dead, it has been murdered a long time ago! Oh my god!

I thought it was common knowledge that any game featuring Hitler would be illegal in germany, that is why Civ does not have him.

My guess is that the combined unit will still function as a single unit in terms of moving and fighting on the main map. Also, I assume the stats of the combined unit will vary based on the composition. So if you combine a swordsman with a catapult, you get a single unit that can do both melee and range attacks.

I suspect that the support units will not fundamentally change the base unit. So a Swordsman with a catapult support unit will still melee, but will have a bonus vs. Cities. And an archer support unit would give a defensive bonus vs melee. A pike support unit would give a bonus vs. Mounted.

I suspect that the support units will not fundamentally change the base unit. So a Swordsman with a catapult support unit will still melee, but will have a bonus vs. Cities. And an archer support unit would give a defensive bonus vs melee. A pike support unit would give a bonus vs. Mounted.

That is possible. I guess it just depends on whether they keep the range attack mechanism. Personally, I am hoping they ditch it completely in favor of other changes.

I thought it was common knowledge that any game featuring Hitler would be illegal in germany, that is why Civ does not have him.
I was being sarcastic. ;)

In fact, being German and politically correct I would myself have some issues with a Civ game featuring Hitler. So I am the pressure group. :D

Nothing about religion, don't tell me they're going to take it out again and make us pay for it 1 year later.
They said that more or less everything will be in the new game. A religious agent can be clearly seen in one of the screenshots.

Yep, looks like that. You can combine one unit with a support unit. Or, you can combine several of the same unit into a 'corps', or 'army'. I don't know if you can combine a corps or army with a support unit, or several of them, though.

Hmmm Im a bit disappointed with the graphics. Civ 5's graphics were classy. These graphics look rather cartoony to me - I hope this isn't another 2K trying to appeal to mobile games a la Revolution again.

Early days I know so lets hope they take people's opinions on board and tone down the cartoony look. And I also hope that the game is in more of a fit state to play this time round because Civ V was rather boring for about the first six months I seem to recall.

In fact, being German and politically correct
Yuck. Get off my country. :D

After reading a lot of the threads on the Steam Forums I'll summarize what seems to be the overarching reaction over there:

"'TIS CARTOONY, WHY TIS SO CARTOONY!"

Top Bottom