King
InkAxis' Kushan Empire
Icon.png

Link to Download
Requires events activated

leader.png

Kanishka the Great
UA - The Syncretic Empire

Trade Routes boost missionaries in the destination city, increase pressure, and give :c5faith: Faith. Conquering a civilization's capital or converting them lets you add one of their beliefs to your religion or take one of their policies.
  • Missionaries are boosted by reducing their attrition (from -250 to -50).
  • If you don't have a religion, the majority religion of your capital is your religion.
  • You can only choose each religious belief once per game. You can always choose a pantheon or a policy. You can only take from each player once. You are only offered one of each belief type (not both followers, or more beliefs if they are Byzantium)
  • If they don't have a policy you can gain, you can get a boost of :c5culture: Culture.

stupa.png

UNW - Kaniska Stupa (Replaces Grand Temple)
Unlocked at Engineering (1 Tech Level Early)
Contains 3 Slots for Art/Artifact (4 :c5culture::c5faith::c5gold: if themed)
Does not require a Temple.
+1 :trade: Trade Route Slot, and a free Caravan. Gain an Artifact when another Civilization is converted to your Religion. All Trade Routes take half as many turns to complete.
Regular Grand Temple bonuses.

yuezhi.png

UU - Yuezhi Horse Archer (Replaces Skirmisher)

90 :c5production: (-10)
13:c5strength: (+1)
11:c5rangedstrength: (+1)
Does Not Require Horses.
Does Not Require Barracks to be purchased.
Can Move After Purchase.

Spoiler 3&4 UC Components: :

kararaggo.png

UGP - Kararaggo (Replaces Great General)
Can be purchased with :c5gold: Gold.
Is not generated through combat.
Does not give a Combat Aura.
Units starting their turn on a Kararaggo get an additional attack.
Stationing a Kararaggo in a city, or expending it as a citadel, gives the city +1 :c5happy: Happiness for every Trade Route that originates in the city.

elephant.png

UU - Kushan Elephant (Replaces Knight)
Same base Knight stats.
Does not require Horses.
Feared Elephant Promotion
Free Shock I Promotion
Kushan Elephant Attack Promotion
(+10% CS when fighting units above 50 HP)

Spoiler Strategy :
This civ focuses on military, economy, culture, and faith. First, your trade routes give you slightly more faith to earn a religion, and then also help spread your religion by boosting pressure and missionaries in the destination city. The Kanishka Stupa further augments this as it gives an early lead in faith and a TR. Additionally, it decreases the turns it takes for a TR to complete, which allows you to quickly switch your TRs to a new city after you have converted the old one. This allows you to maximize pressure on specific cities and greatly reduce the attrition missionaries take. Meanwhile, on the military side, the Yuezhi horse archer allows you to funnel this gold from TR into a UU you can easily purchase many of, with it's low cost and low requirements. If you have 4UC then the Kararaggo provides another use for your gold, and as well as bonus happiness. This can be very helpful if you have conquered many cities. The Kushan Elephant continues this military lead as a generally strong front line Knight unit.

Once you have conquered and converted, you get a massive bonus - the ability to take a policy or religious belief from the conquered/converted player. Use this to get further ahead and build an interesting set of religious beliefs and policies.

Compatible with 4UC & YnaEMP

stealChoice.png map.png start.png pedia.png

Credits
  • InkAxis: Coding, ideas, art creation
  • Darnell: 3d Horse Archer Model
  • Asterix Rage: Promotion Icons
  • Europa Barbarorum: War and Peace themes
  • Hinin: Icon and Music help
  • The Armies of Bactria: Historical Info, Kushan Elephant and Kararaggo Icons
  • Juan de Lara: Kanishka Stupa Icon
  • Kushan.org: Historical Info, Yuezhi Icon
  • The Mint Cities of the Kushan Empire: Historical Info
  • The Year One: Art of the Ancient World East and West: Historical Info
  • The Date of Kanishka since 1960: Historical Info
  • A New Bactrian Inscription of Kanishka: Historical Info

Last edited:
Well, this is what I've been up to for, uh, now almost over a year.
If I got anything wrong don't hesitate to say something, I'm always looking for feedback.

This was one of the first ideas I had for a mod and now I've actually made it.
In between that time I've learned lua, c++, photoshop, and some history. All of it was used to make this, I hope you enjoy!

Creative civ with a unique play style. Definitely going to try it out to hopefully end my addiction to pure warmongering as Sweden.

At a glance I'd say the UA and the UB are both very inspired designs and really stand out from the other civs. I also like how they really don't shoehorn you into a certain policy tree (besides maybe the opener for fealty, but that's the case for any religious civ) and allow for every medieval policy tree to synergize with the UA and UB one way or another. I cannot really comment on the GG until I've used it, but it seems like it might be a bit broken assuming you can put multiple citadels and all trade routes in a single city and get extra happiness from all trade routes for each citadel.

the unique units however are not inspired. the horse archer and the knight seem to just copy the Hun's and Siam's uu's with minor variation, and could use some varied design to make them interesting.

Updated with anti-aliased icon, thanks @Hinin, soon I will improve some more of the icons.

At a glance I'd say the UA and the UB are both very inspired designs and really stand out from the other civs. I also like how they really don't shoehorn you into a certain policy tree (besides maybe the opener for fealty, but that's the case for any religious civ) and allow for every medieval policy tree to synergize with the UA and UB one way or another. I cannot really comment on the GG until I've used it, but it seems like it might be a bit broken assuming you can put multiple citadels and all trade routes in a single city and get extra happiness from all trade routes for each citadel.

the unique units however are not inspired. the horse archer and the knight seem to just copy the Hun's and Siam's uu's with minor variation, and could use some varied design to make them interesting.
Thanks for the feedback!
I cannot really comment on the GG until I've used it, but it seems like it might be a bit broken assuming you can put multiple citadels and all trade routes in a single city and get extra happiness from all trade routes for each citadel.
The bonus does not stack per city.
I didn't look at those UBs when designing the components so any copying was not intentional.
I would say, that I would need more feedback after playing games if that is the case.
I think that you could perhaps be comparing them to how different the UA and UGP are that you expect everything to be radically different.
There's nothing wrong with just a solid, strong unit in it's era that allows you to utilize a push. In the case of the horse archer you will often have many TR so you can use this to capitalize on your high gold. In the case of the elephant it has very strong starting promotions which can be timed into a rush right in medieval, after you have established your empire and religion well.
In my games I enjoyed using them, though I'd need more feedback.
But again, not every component needs to be absolutely game changing, a solidly strong unit is just as good.
Another thing to consider is that there simply isn't as much historical info for a civ like this one so I designed based on what I read and what I could adapt - ultimately this came to satisfying conclusion for me but there are restrictions on what can be done.

The "events" requirement only means that the events *system* has to be enabled, right? Not the actual events themselves?

Yes, you can click "enable events system" but then disable good events, bad events, etc.
Why is that necessary? The spy "events" and the capture city "event" don't require that.

Possibly, if you are willing.
I am.
I've seen the promos. Kanishka is an opponent in the game I'm playing.

Also the Kushan elephant has one but that one already has a fairly good icon.
You're using extraPromo_Atlas. That's perfect for tempory Icons. You'll have new ones in a few days.

Last edited:
Played 1 game and i liked the civ but trade route spam was pain in the ass. Is it possible to remove the trade route duration reduction from UB?

Played 1 game and i liked the civ but trade route spam was pain in the ass. Is it possible to remove the trade route duration reduction from UB?
Do you find it that bad? In my games it was ~13 turns for a TR, and you can just send it for the previous route again.
In any case if you want to change it:
In Kushan Empire for VP\core\stupaBuilding.sql, on line 8 the first number in the list should be -50, change that to 0 or something else.

This quickly became my favorite civ to play. I made a strategy of blitzing enemy capitol cities while the were at war with someone else. I have no desire to hold the city, i just get another pantheon and leave. I'm not sure why but for some reason I do have a nasty bug that doesn't allow me to view tech tree and I can't purchase a Kararago. Still my favorite to play as.

This quickly became my favorite civ to play. I made a strategy of blitzing enemy capitol cities while the were at war with someone else. I have no desire to hold the city, i just get another pantheon and leave. I'm not sure why but for some reason I do have a nasty bug that doesn't allow me to view tech tree and I can't purchase a Kararago. Still my favorite to play as.
I'm glad you like it!
As for the tech tree bug, I'm not sure what would cause that. Maybe you can give me a list of your mods so I can check if there's any compatibility issues to fix?
Are you actually unable to buy the kararaggo or is the price to high? I did set a high cost, and after playing a couple games I reduced it but it might be too high? Or does the game not even let you purchase it?

Is the mod capable of detecting custom beliefs?
Edit: I tried it out and it does seem to work fine with the belief overhaul mod.
The civ is interestingly designed (except for the UUs but I don't mind that, the general and other uniques make up for it IMO). But like Milae mentioned in his playthrough it really needs music. The only music you'll hear is of the other civs you interact with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom