1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Inland Sea is awesome!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by AntSou, Jun 19, 2019.

1. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

I'm just dropping this here because I suspect I'm not the only one who may have never actually tried inland sea before.

I do not remember ever starting one in Civ 5 either. The idea of a map where East and West do not meet was very unappealing to me.

I finally gave it a try, and it's exceeding my expectations. Results:

- The sea matters and you have to fight for resources in it;

- You need to fight for the coast for those juicy sea routes;

- Pillaging sea routes galore;

- Smaller water body = more naval warfare. It makes perfect sense now that I see it (it's impossible to avoid one another).

- The limitations that the AI seems to have in bodies of water is considerably reduced here, not because there's less water, but because the AI usually has issues traversing them from one continent to another. Here they can just go around.

- You WILL be stuck between at least two civs, regardless of how careful you are positioning yourself. On other maps typically I have an entire side protected by coastline. Here I have potential threats from two sides.

- There's something appealing about the 'Campaign Map' look (map bordered on all sides) which I had never considered before.

- New World Age makes for some epic natural barriers. That happens in every map, but there's so much land in Inland Sea, it makes it even more clear. You'll want to use forts just for the sake of awesome.
    ---
    ---

If you have never tried Inland Sea before and always go for realistic Earth maps or landmasses surrounded by sea, I suggest you give it a try.

Kmart_Elvis and WiseGreen like this.
  2. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Seven Seas is also great for the same reasons.

Basically playing Med/Black/Red sea goodness

3. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Used to play random maps, now started switching to fractals. I thought the latter was supposed to generate more interesting arrangements of oceans and lakes, but it's all a pretty solid land mass.

What I'd really like is a map where there's actually something across the ocean to explore and settle. A true age of discovery. Not to exciting to build caravels knowing that all I'm likely to find are land masses that other civ's settled across.

4. WiseGreen

WiseGreen Warlord

Civ4 had a Terra script (I don't remember if Civ5 had it as well?), where all Civs would start on an "old World" continent, with an extra, empty continent across the ocean.

MisterBoomBoom likes this.
  5. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Yeah that's in civ 5 as well

6. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

You can do that with the Yet Not Another Earth Map mod. There's a "Settle all civs in old world" option.

7. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Started a new game and got this awesome mountain range.

Medopu and TrailblazingScot like this.
  8. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

I like Inland Sea because there is little freshwater and game startes to begin a little more difficult, at Deity giving the effect of almost CivIV Emperor

AntSou likes this.
  9. SxSnts9

SxSnts9 Warlord

@AntSou Do you play in Strategic View? I barely ever use that option as it just makes things more complicated to me for some reason. LOL I never considered people playing the game through Strategic View full time.

10. ZimZum514

ZimZum514 Chieftain

Yes! I hadn't played it until recently, but really enjoying it. My usual go to was always either continents or fractal.

11. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Played a lot of fractal in Civ 5. It was good. Then I found the PerfectWorld script in the steam workshop and never used any other map again. Still haven't tried PerfectWorld in Civ 6 though.

Not always. Maybe 20% - 30% of the time? I do like to use it. Sometimes all that brightness and colour is just too much and I switch to Strategic view. I also turn off the yield and resource icons once I know where all the stuff is and only turn it on for niter, coal, etc.