Inland Sea Naval Construction

RoAnnon

Chieftain
What are the factors that determine whether naval vessels can be built in a city on the shore of an inland sea? Up until now I'd thought it was only disallowed on a fresh water lake. I currently am playing a game where I have two inland seas, each with two cities on the shore, and none of the cities can build navel vessels. Each city CAN build a lighthouse and a harbor, and work boats, but nothing else.

Is the area of the sea in tiles a factor? The two seas are 10 and 17 tiles in area respectively. I also note that both seas are entirely "coast", there is no place wide enough for the sea to have deep water.

I cannot find anywhere in the game docs that discusses this. If it's there and I'm just totally being boneheaded and missing it, please set me straight.

Thanks!

I've wondered this, myself. I'm suspecting the body of water must be salwater and contain deep ocean... anyone fire up WB to check?

I can be wrong but minimal limit for naval units (Drydock too) was 20 water tiles.
This was somewhere in xml file too to be more precise..
So - you got bad lack with these 2 seas.. Too small to get some military power.. too big to be used as fresh water (=much less useful..)

Bad luck? Depends... with no naval units allowed, it's safe fisheries. Until Fighters, anyway :)

And if you can build a canal of Forts, you can float in a Galley to troll AI fisheries, drop off spies, etc. And later, a Privateer that can't ever be sunk. Boom!

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely look in the xmls for that... one of the seas is totally mine, but it has no seafood resources, even. The other is half mine, half Pericles'... he has boats I can sink, if I can get a way in.. :)

Top Bottom