Innovia Embassy

I agree wholly (sp?) with Dave's reasoning. We only agreed to a 10 turn ROP, after which either team is legitimately allowed to close.

In fact, I'm a little annoyed that they haven't approached us about extending the agreement! SHUT IT DOWN.

It's surprising how offended I can get so quickly over such trifles :)

Ok – excellent point Dave.
And thanks to Classical Hero and Azzaman for voting.

I'd still like Memphus to send the e-mail, and I'd still like to strike a semi-apologetic tone. After all, we'd likely be pretty ticked if the situation was reversed. It doesn't hurt us to try to be nice.

Proposed letter for Memphus to send:
Hey Innovia, I know you're not going to like this much, but I regret to tell you that our team has voted overwhelmingly not to extended our Open Borders deal for another 10 turns. For what it's worth, General_W wanted to extended the deal one more time to make things a bit more equal in terms of territory explored… and so he's making me send this note.
We're open to renegotiation of some kind of an OB deal (maybe one that doesn’t allow any units to cross?) if you have any interest in that.
Hopefully happier days lay ahead of us.
- Memphus, President of Epsilon Team

I really like this note better. Has a gentle reminder that they DID get to explore a decent bit of our territory, and phrases what we're doing much better. "not renewing" is ever so much nicer than "canceling" :) [nevermind that they're exactly the same thing! :lol: ]

Any more comments/feedback?

First off, I do like this note.

However!! (you knew that was coming, admit it :lol:)......

Are you sure we want to mention that General_W is making our President send this note? Sort of sounds like our President doesn't have the power to send notes on his own... Maybe he should say simply "...and so I'm sending this note, as a rightfully elected representative of the Followers of The Leader, may He live forever."

Also, that reference to territory explored could backfire. For one thing, I read that as a dig against them reminding Innovia how much more of their land we were able to scout than they will see of ours. I'd humbly submit that the wording be changed:
"For what it's worth, General_W wanted to extended the deal one more time" Full Stop.

And lastly, I wouldn't say "Hopefully happier days lie ahead.." After all, these are not unhappy days in any way! Maybe just a more empty rejoinder, like "To Health and Wealth, Memphus"

Of course, my ideas are frequently too far to one side of the spectrum. Maybe I'm overly paranoid :twitch:

can do Please let me know when the draft is final and I'll take the hit :)

Peter Grimes said:
Are you sure we want to mention that General_W is making our President send this note? Sort of sounds like our President doesn't have the power to send notes on his own... Maybe he should say simply "...and so I'm sending this note, as a rightfully elected representative of the Followers of The Leader, may He live forever."
Ok - that's a fair point... but a bit cumbersome, imo. The main reason that's even in there is to try to save me some political capital with Innovia. It's just a gamble on wheter or not it would work anyway.
How about we just divert a little bit… I'll go ahead and send the note, and just say something like this: "For what it's worth, I wanted to extended the deal one more time to make things a bit more equal in terms of territory explored… but 'the people' have spoken."

When all else fails, blame democracy. ;)

Peter said:
Also, that reference to territory explored could backfire. For one thing, I read that as a dig against them reminding Innovia how much more of their land we were able to scout than they will see of ours. I'd humbly submit that the wording be changed:
"For what it's worth, General_W wanted to extended the deal one more time" Full Stop.
I see what you're saying, but I really disagree. Just because we don't mention it, doesn't mean that's not the absolutely first thing they're going to think of – especially if they get that circumnavigation notice on the same turn. I suppose there's a small chance that they'll take it as mocking, but placed as it is, in the center of apology, I'd say that's pretty unlikely.

And lastly, I wouldn't say "Hopefully happier days lie ahead.." After all, these are not unhappy days in any way! Maybe just a more empty rejoinder, like "To Health and Wealth, Memphus"
Another good point. That line is pretty much just a survivor from the original note. I like your suggestion much better.

So that makes the new note, to come from the formerly cowardly General_W read like this:
Dear Innovia,
I know you're not going to like this much, but I regret to tell you that our team has voted overwhelmingly not to extended our Open Borders deal for another 10 turns.

For what it's worth, I wanted to extended the deal one more time to make things a bit more equal in terms of territory explored… but 'the people' have spoken.

We're open to renegotiation of some kind of an OB deal (maybe one that doesn’t allow any units to cross?) if you have any interest in that.

To the Health and Wealth of both our peoples,
- General_W
Servant of the Leader
Epsilon Team!

EDIT: SENT 3/28/07

Any final thoughts or comments?
We just need to send this off before we play our next save. I'd actually prefer NOT to send it until after Innovia plays their turn… just incase they get any crazy ideas.

P.S. Thanks for being willing to take the hit Mr. President… the day may still come when that's needed ;)

I like it alot.

Send it as soon as we see that Innovia has played thier turn :)

I like it too.

And I also appreciate your point by point response to my concerns. Keeps us all thinking hard about why we make the choices we do :)

Thanks all! Great team effort.
We have the save now... so...

SENT to Innovia's gmail. title: "Open Borders"
:salute:

Mentioned this briefly in my SOE update – but wanted to highlight it here.

Innovia has had a steep rise in power starting about 520 AD or so.

I think this is a bit of a concern… I wonder if they're planning on invading someone? (Maybe someone that ticked them off recently in an Open Borders deal? :twitch: )

I mean, they DO have their scary Camel Archers now… and if they haven't found their Iron, they can still build them. In fact, they may be thinking NO one has iron… since they can't see that we've got it.
Their power rise obviously precedes them getting Guilds, but that could just represent a buildup of Catapults and macemen to support the Camel Archers.

Anyone want to contribute a thought here? I'm worried we may face a possible side invasion just on the eve of sailing South to Loco. The timing would be good in terms of us already being built up and ready for war… but Aloha may be starting a rise in power also… suggesting a joint attack?
Or is my imagination just running away with me now? :scared:

:lol: Indeed... but do you think that the AloVian deal has Innovia attacking Loco? Or Us? Or Piffle?

And who would Aloha's Target be?

Idle speculation of course...

But I'd guess the most likely combos to be...
A) Aloha and Innovia both go after Epsilon
B) Innovia takes Loco, Aloha takes Piffle.

Other theories?

By the time Loco can land we will have Cavalry, which they won't. If they try to launch an attack we will simply gain exp from them. :evil:

Best case they also go for Loco. Actually Ideally they go for Loco 10-15 turns before we launch... Then our superior troops, Cannons and Cavalry walk all over the remains of thier camel archers :goodjob: and whatever is left of Loco.

From that point Innovia would be worn out from thier war with Loco and not have focused on infrastructure to support their empire.

The key either way is for us to Keep Pffifle propped up enough so they can beat aloha, or at the very least hold them to a stand still. :crazyeye:

Memphus in the SoTE said:
Offer us Silk for Whale (again with no Embassy sent.) I declined the offer as we havn't discussed it yet, and we were not in dire need of :) this turn. Requires Discussion.

Wow - I'm eager to get my hands on the save! Will make a double update tonight.

In the meantime, I'm glad we have a connection to Innovia now... I've been wondering for some time if they have Iron yet. (Did you happen to notice Mr. President?)

I don't see any reason NOT to trade for silks with Innovia. It'll be a while till we attack them, and in the meantime, I want to give them extra reasons to NOT attack us in a misguided attempt to defend Loco.

That's my opinion anyway.
Others?

I agree, obviously, with Dave.
Therefore, I propose sending this note:

Dear Innovia,

Our president was taken by surprise with your offer of silks for whales. Since there had been no team discussion he declined – but we have since had a chance to talk about it.

We have indeed heard of these fabled silks of Innovia, and are eager to have access to them. If the offer still stands, we are prepared to accept this trade.

To Peace and Prosperity!
- Foreign Minister General_W
Servant of the Leader
Epsilon Team!

Any issues with sending this?

EDIT: SENT! To innovia gmail. 4/17/07

Top Bottom