Inproved coastal resources

daliwest

Chieftain
Hello,

I wonder if there is a functional mod out there that improves the coastal resources?

I have modded in my own files and right now I am trying a game with this setup:

Fish: 2 food, 1 gold, 1 prod.

Harbor: Same as before +1 production from each adjacent coastal resource.

Berserkers: +10 when attacking and -5 defending.

Stave Church: Same as before +1 Great General point.

Any more ideas how to make coastal cities more attractive? In real world coastal cities are usually more attractive, so it is strange it is not like that in Civ6.

Sincerely
Dali

Increase food in coast and ocean by 1 each, have future techs also increase food, have the harbor or maybe make a new building for the harbor that increases food and/or gold, production is the hard part with coastal cities at that point though.

I think it's better to make the resources better than adding extra food to ocean tiles?

Maybe extra +1 production to all resources? Combined with a harbor that gives you +1 production for adjacent resources it helps a lot.

But there should be buildings for extra production.

I don't see how we can get production out of the ocean - oil excepted. They added a tourism bonus for coastal city so maybe somehow making that victory condition more appealing (pun intended) could change the value of coastal cities. Maybe also a naval district would be possible or a fish farming food district.

The first building in the harbour could be a fish market: +1 food to sea bonus and luxury resources, +2 flat gold on the building.
Ooh I like this idea a lot. These kind of ideas are great, we definitely need some kind of system where costal cities are no longer just a waste of production tiles. Especially considering how historically advantageous they have been. I mean, look where most of the world's greatest cities are (I know there are plenty of exceptions to this as well).

I also like the idea of increasing the food yield and gold yield of fish and other resources, although I do agree with 'liv' that adding production to fish resources doesn't entirely make sense. Maybe more culture or faith or science to non-fish resources?
The idea is to make costal cities worth it again, as current, not even the AI thinks much of costal cities.

To make settling on coastal tiles more viable I'd suggest something like:
- the city-centre provides +1 tourism for every era it's been settled on the coast for
- the city-centre provides +1 trade route if settled directly onto the coast (probably the most incentivizing thing): this would make up for the loss of workable tiles

To make coastal/ocean tiles more viable:
- I'd change God of the Sea to +1 faith for every sea resource
- I'd change the fishing boat to +1 production, +1 gold, +1 food, +0.5 housing
- I'd make the Lighthouse provide +1 food on fish and crabs (similar to the watermill)

Hopefully you know that a lighthouse provides foid, gold and housing.... A shipyard bring good production if you have good adjacency which you can boost with the 100% harbour adjacency card.
I miss that extra production in the sea and could say +1 to production for whales but thats about it otherwise.
A harbour with a lighthouse and shipyard really helps

Borrow a page from Civ5's playbook and make lighthouses grant +1 food to sea tiles. Increase gold from trade routes to and from City Centers situated on coasts. Finally, add coral as a coastal sea feature that yields science and culture.

Hopefully you know that a lighthouse provides foid, gold and housing.... A shipyard bring good production if you have good adjacency which you can boost with the 100% harbour adjacency card.
I miss that extra production in the sea and could say +1 to production for whales but thats about it otherwise.
Ocean tiles are just 1 flat food, the same as a tundra tile. Tundra tiles are arguably way better than ocean tiles- you can build districts, mines (on hills), unique improvements, neighbourhoods and plant forests for lumbermills later in the game, and if you're Russia, tundra tiles become plains with faith (but no farms).

Ocean tiles are crap for everyone, so we really need a way to improve their yields.

Civ 6 wants to downplay the usefullness of cities built on the coast but some of the greatest cities of the modern world are built right on the water- Tokyo, New York, Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc.

In fact, if you view the wikipedia article for the 25 largest cities in the world, 7 of the top 10 are coastal cities. (Shanghai, Karachi, Lagos, Tianjin, Istanbul, Tokyo, Mumbai; 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10)

If you want to look at the cities in the world with 10 or more million people in them (of which there are 15) then 9 of those 15 are coastal cities.

Last edited:
I'd like to see some sort of historical compensation for the relevance of costal cities, implemented for example through increased trade route capacity, although it would have to be done in a way so that it does not become OP.
The thing with the lighthouse is that it requires a harbour district so it becomes the case that you may as well settle slightly inland instead of legitimately on the coast.

A lighthouse gives you +1 food, +1 gold, and +1 housing. That's barely anything for a city established directly on the coast, and you get the same benefits for a city settled 1 or 2 tiles in land, there's just no positive tradeoffs for coastal cities.

A lighthouse gives you +1 food, +1 gold, and +1 housing. That's barely anything for a city established directly on the coast, and you get the same benefits for a city settled 1 or 2 tiles in land, there's just no positive tradeoffs for coastal cities.
So maybe a good solution would be to have some kind of 'fishing port' that is only available in costal cities which gives similar if not the same benefits as a city and can be built directly in the city. As a watermill for costal cities, hopefully it'd encourage costal settling.

They settled near the mouth of rivers more specifically, and not always directly on the coast.

I play England most of the time and really do not have an issue with coastal cities or settling slightly inland.
I do slightly miss the additional food/prod of earlier releases or like in civ V you got double from sea trade routes.
But I seem to do Ok with what they have.
Sure maybe a little extra gold, maybe more food if you can build modern trawlers but coastal cities are not centres of industry

Good response!

What about this?

Oil: Same tiles as before +ocean tiles (Could give some ocean tiles good production in the late game)

Coast: 2 food, 1 gold

Ocean: 1 food, 1 gold

Sea Wind Farms: improvement on coastal tiles, +2 production

+50% gold from trade routes started in a coastal city

Maybe +1 housing or +1 amenity for coastal cities?

So maybe a good solution would be to have some kind of 'fishing port' that is only available in coastal cities which gives similar if not the same benefits as a city and can be built directly in the city. As a watermill for coastal cities, hopefully it'd encourage coastal settling.

Would this be in addition to a watermill, or an alternate building similar to the barracks/stable? The other problem I see with this is that it does nothing to address the complete lack of production coastal cities have.

Last edited:
To make upp for the lack of production a coastal city should at least have the tools to be superior money and food hubs.

More coastal cities on the map would also make the naval civs stronger and opens up for a more interesting game on continent maps.

If you have some really good resources only on ocean tiles it could help out when it comes to settle on the coast.

Dali

Would this be in addition to a watermill, or an alternate building similar to the barracks/stable? The other problem I see with this is that it does nothing to address the complete lack of production coastal cities have.
but but but... coastal cities do not have large production anyway in real life, you want bland samey cities everywhere?
@daliwest has got ot right

Harbor: +2 adjacency for being next to the city centre, and a full +1 for each adjacent district not just 0.5. Also give every district an extra adjacency for being next to a harbor (like the commerce district gets right now). That way, the harbor will actually have a decent adjacency to give production later with the seaport. How about also giving the harbor city +1 production for each trade route to the city? Then you could at least get production by sending a trade route to the city too.
Allow fishing boats to be built on every coastal tile - at least that would make them all useful, but not overly strong.
I also really liked earlier versions having really strong sea resources. Have the lighthouse give +1 food to fish and crabs. Have the shipyard give +1 production to all sea resources. Have the seaport give +2 gold to all sea resources.

Top Bottom