Input wanted: The Philippines for VP

So far, everything is amazing, I'm very excited to try this!

As usual, my other concern is (not a priority though); settling a transoceanic cities pre-astrology might cause city connections unhappiness (isolation), which could be a problem - can coral church address this?.
Philippines' balangay should be utilized as early as possible, if isolation will be a problem, I don't think I'll settle on another continent.
If the free-oceanic travel is only designed for exploration, then I think this is fine.

City connections are made via lighthouses, so you only need to wait until Optics (early classical). Polynesia has no isolation in their UA, but I think it's fine if Philippines suffers from isolation a bit. Isolation doesn't hurt you that bad in the early game

Katipunero is now a unique unit class unlocked by opening an industrial policy branch (does no replace fusilier).
They are now 2:c5strength: weaker than fusilier, but have 3 moves and ignore terrain (hybrid between a fusilier and an explorer unit)

Also worth noting is that they'll have access to the following 3 Unique Promotions based on their level:
Available at unit Level 1: "Katipon" - +15% Unit :c5production: Production when garrisoned in a City
Gained at Level 3: "Kawal" - +15% :c5strength:Strength in Friendly Territory
Gained at Level 5: "Bayani" - Adjacent Units gain +15% :c5strength:Defense​

Another question regarding to Balangay:
  • Is the settler/pioneer/colonist spawn era-dependent or tech-dependent?
  • What if I built all my balangays on ancient, and decided to settle them on the modern era (or Biology), will I get a settler or colonist?

The balangay will check if you have banking/biology when you try to deploy the settler. In theory you could build a balangay a few turns before the tech is researched and take advantage of the few turns of transit to its destination.

New dll is released which means it's time to let this baby loose. Going to post the Philippines for VP in the mods repository shortly!

Edit: philippines mod is available here

Last edited:
Awesome! Excited to play :)

Top Bottom