Insane Amount of Gold

Then I'm getting mountains of gold from conquest somewhere. I got to 60,000 gold while on 300 GPT income and stopped playing, at that point you can buy victory.

All I took 4 or 5 coastal cities, liberated Berlin, liberated some crappy hun city, and took Moscow. And St. Petersburg too I think, that was 28 pop. I didn't raze that one. All the gold came from those captures, since I was buying stuff until there was nothing left to buy. The coastal cities varied in size from 16 to 24 in pop size.

I lost 40% of my army in that little war, and no ships lost at all. With the gold gained I could have replaced the losses 14 times over. That makes this strategy too good to pass up, and therefore makes the game somewhat dull.

If you test it in a game, Modern Era, you'll see it too. I wonder if the gold bonus is being applied multiple times per city capture perhaps? Could it be popping twice: once when you move into the city, and again when you select raze/liberate? Something's going on.

Also I'm wondering if it's getting applied when an AI gives you a city through diplomacy when making peace? Worth testing.

Then I'm getting mountains of gold from conquest somewhere. I got to 60,000 gold while on 300 GPT income and stopped playing, at that point you can buy victory.

All I took 4 or 5 coastal cities, liberated Berlin, liberated some crappy hun city, and took Moscow. And St. Petersburg too I think, that was 28 pop. I didn't raze that one. All the gold came from those captures, since I was buying stuff until there was nothing left to buy. The coastal cities varied in size from 16 to 24 in pop size.

I lost 40% of my army in that little war, and no ships lost at all. With the gold gained I could have replaced the losses 14 times over. That makes this strategy too good to pass up, and therefore makes the game somewhat dull.

If you test it in a game, Modern Era, you'll see it too. I wonder if the gold bonus is being applied multiple times per city capture perhaps? Could it be popping twice: once when you move into the city, and again when you select raze/liberate? Something's going on.

Also I'm wondering if it's getting applied when an AI gives you a city through diplomacy when making peace? Worth testing.

It only happens through conquest, and only once per city. It is just too high a bonus (as it multiplies by era and city pop, and doubles if a capital).

G

It may just be the era scaling that's too high. Now that I think about it, I haven't been doing more late game conquest. In my recent games as Greece, Mayans, and Carthage my conquest has generally been early, since that's when those civs are at their best. Especially Carthage. Anyway, I've found the gold gained to be fairly reasonable...but that could just be from rushing through the policy trees and grabbing it in the early to mid Renaissance era. Even late Medieval if the stars align and everything goes perfectly. After I use the early factories to start Order I don't really do much more warmongering, instead focusing on infrastructure in what I have.

Well now it's clear. I did take two big capitals, in the Modern era, and with all those multipliers stacked I can see how I ended up with tens of thousands of gold in no time.

I would say maybe reduce the per era modifier by half? I can't even imagine what it's like in the Information Era.

Also I've seen a few people mention getting factories in the Renaissance using Civilizing Mission. I got that policy late, but it seems weird that it should provide a free factory through conquest when you can't even build factories yet. That can lead to a super-early ideology.

Also Askia took about 7 cities, including the Egyptian capital. Through Info Addict I see he has 14,000 gold and he's spending like a fiend. There are so many units in his vast territory you can't even see the terrain anymore. So he's buying units like mad and still ending up with a 10,000+ gold reserve. Even conquering AI's can't spend their conquest gold fast enough.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to code a cost of purchase increase for every copy of the unit a la Rise of Nations?

What do you mean?
I think he means that the costs of units rise with every purchase, much like the faith costs increase for great people, for example. Meaning buying the first or second unit is cheap, buying your 8th or 9th unit costs a lot more.

Not sure whether that's a good idea, though, as it probably resets with new units, unless you count currently owned units or size of your current military as a whole.

The last might double up with maintenance a bit, but I kind of like having slightly diminishing returns for getting too much military - to some extend, that would reward smarter use of units over rush buying lots of them.

The ability to just rush buy benefits the AI, though.

Top Bottom