1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Insane Gran Columbia Start - and need advice...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by FlyinPhil, Jun 25, 2020.

1. FlyinPhil

FlyinPhil Chieftain

So I've been working my way through the deity victories, and even though I've gotten multiple of all the other victory conditions on deity, I can't seem to wrap my head around domination. I'm a very defensive player because I play science and culture all the time, so I don't really know how to get an edge when it comes to domination, at least when the AI starts as far ahead as it does on deity.

So based on the elimination thread that just wrapped up, I chose to try Gran Columbia for a domination victory. I left everything on standard settings, with the exception of time (I like to play Marathon speed). After a couple pretty terrible rolls (ended up starting next to Macedon in one case, and he rolled me right up), I got the start below. What is so insane about this start is that on the mini-map you'll see six city-states on the continent I share with China - and I got first contact with every one of them! Needless to say, this is the game where I seem to have all the advantages I need.

Now the one challenge I have is that I spawned very close to China and with the two religious CS's, I got maybe a little ahead myself and used the faith to get the Religious Settlements pantheon and then forward settled them. I know the AI will forward settle me, so I did the same (and I want to get an encampment close to them), but I'm suddenly anxious I'm going to get a surprise war soon. Regardless, as someone who never plays domination victories, I'm looking for some advice and strategy on how to deal with these guys and then work my way to the other continents. Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 9.37.13 PM.png

2. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

We are currently running a Gran Columbia Deity Domination game in Game of the Month. You can read the spoiler threads to glean all kinds of advice from some really top players.

Best of luck in your game.

3. Buktu

Buktu Chieftain

If it is not too late I would suggest to build some untits to defend yourself or get a friendship with China if they are willing to take one. Use the time to build your empire up a litte so you have the capacity to mass produce units and get some normal generals throughout the game. Also you want get access to some strategic resources. Keep focussing techs in the lower half of the techtree to get access to modern landunits, especially a ram and swordsmen. Culturalwise go for oligarchy to givem warrios/swordsmen another little boost. You don't want to attack before you get one of your special generals anyway.
    The perfect scenario for you is to take out china before they get Crouching Tigers imo.

4. FlyinPhil

FlyinPhil Chieftain

Well I can wrap this one up a lot quicker than I thought. I got to archery before China, built three archers and three warriors, and rolled him up before he had more than two cities. He ended up being the only civ on the continent, so I lots of time to build up before I hit the six civs on the other continent. They were pretty balanced, so I went for the one closest to any kind of victory (Nubia trying for a religious victory), then the next, then the next. Far easier than I expected, but that was a pretty incredible starting position, so luck had a lot to do with it!

5. Buktu

Buktu Chieftain

Good job!

Did you use any mods or snipe any of china's settlers? A standart deity AI with less than three city's seems quite unusual for me :think:

6. FlyinPhil

FlyinPhil Chieftain

No mods, never been a fan, and if I remember correctly, China was limited because of a persistent barb camp nearby. Again, I was very lucky with this start...but a deity win is a deity win!

7. FlyinPhil

FlyinPhil Chieftain

Oh and Gran Columbia is an insanely capable domination civ. No wonder it won the domination elimination thread.

8. Buktu

Buktu Chieftain

I'm not a big fan of mods either, I just use two to get infos more comfortable (Sukirtact's simple UI adjustments and better report screens) and for MP games Better Balanced Starts.
    And you are right, win is win, it's not your fault that China messed up pretty hard on this one. Infact it is even well played to take advantage of this :)