1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Insane snowball effect in this game

Discussion in 'CivWorld - General Discussions' started by h0ncho, Jul 8, 2011.

1. h0ncho

h0ncho Chieftain

Do not get me wrong, I find this game to be pretty fun... For a facebook game, it is surprisingly good and the cooperative part is also quite good.

There is one problem however, and that is that if you're not in one of the two winning civs, you don't have a snowballs chance in hell to win. The reason for this is that the victory condition for each era is practically the same era, only with one more step... For example, in one era you can with if: You win a war; or get 4 wonders; or get 60 000 gold.

But for next era, the conditions are the same, except it is now 5 wonders and 80k gold. So the people that won last time with 4 wonders are almost impossible to catch up with by the other civ, except for the other civ that *almost* won the other round. All other civs might as well stop trying, or do a gargantuan effort. It would be more fair if your civ had to build 5 *new* wonders or you lost all your gold when winning a gold victory. Better yet would be if the victory conditions for each era were qualitatively different.

2. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

Would be enough if you couldnt win two eras in a row with the same type of victory.

So that you'd basicaly have to run two strats at the same time and your opponents would have two possibilitys to beat you.

Lets say you go for... wonders first. You win easily but you'd have to try to win somehow diffrent in the 2nd era. If you try that, you cant concentrate on keeping your wonder-dominace. Or you could still go wonder-only and try to win at least every 2nd era that way, 50%.

3. Glinda

Glinda Warlord

Actually, the win conditions only go up once they are met. So if a civ wins by science, that doesn't increase the number of wonders needed, and so on.

What often happens when there are wars, though, is that the winning civ will capture wonders and so essentially win both a domination and a cultural victory, and that will change 2 victory conditions.

4. Pinstar

Pinstar Ringtailed Regent

The problem is with tech victories. Yes the next victory condition discovery is later in the tech tree, but it isn't pushed back as far as, say, wonders or gold goals.

5. Shafi-is-back

Shafi-is-back Prince

well my current game, game no 386 has been pretty cool.

Initially China and spain were the runaway leaders and a lot of people were joining them, this i think slowed them down a lot cos (1) not all those players were very good and (2) they were not actively working as a team.

In the mid game we (greece) along with India emerged as the new powerhouses, dont see anyone else challenging us now but both of our civs have 11 and 10 players respectively and are using closed borders. I think having too many players is a problem. around 10 good players seems ideal at the moment.

And a lot of those players in the huge civs (Spain & China) are not the types to fight it out, they just abandodne the game once their power started dwindling.

Thankfully theres a meritocracy civic in the game to get rid of such people.

Finally, in our game its not the same civ that keeps getting the era wins, of course, granted that both us and India seem to pull off most of the wins but for example the last era win went to Rome a smaller civ that won a cultural win by attacking all the smaller civs and collecting wonders while India and we were involved in a arms race for our impending battle :)

I also find it very cool that you can join battles between other nations. For example in our game India was invading the spanish and it seemed like a cake walk but at the very last minute we jumped in to aid the spanish :) Kinda keeps you on your toes :D

6. Panda_Power

Panda_Power Warlord

Yeah, you like doing that! I'm in 386 too as Arabia and I was attacking Africa for their techs and they had no army, so I thought it would be so easy....until you came along!

7. Shafi-is-back

Shafi-is-back Prince

:lol: sorry mate :p

Actually i did it cos, we were saving them as a target for later, as you can see we are invading them right now for their wonders ... unless India butts in:(

Maybe if someone attacks you guys we can come to your aid, to make up for it :mischief:

8. Panda_Power

Panda_Power Warlord

Haha no prob!

Yeah, I noticed you were attacking them now...or the last time I logged in I saw that anyway.

If my little Civ gets into trouble, I'll let you know!:)

9. Shafi-is-back

Shafi-is-back Prince

yeah the log in problem really sucks :(

been trying to log in for the last two hours ...

10. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

Part of the problem is a Known Bug that has people trying to join Civ X and ending up in Civ Y instead. In my game, both my Civ (Mongolia) and Rome show as having max players, but Rome has more than twice as many players as us. They're running away with the game.

Still hella fun though. :)