Insert CD!

Some CD rom emulators work OK with CIV3, I can post a link if it does not offend anyone?

I've used it suceesfully since installing a new CD/DVD compo, which causes crashes with most of the games.

Reboot: Besides the value for money on PTW, consider the developers side. It is a year since civ3 release, if their effort on PTW is not rewarded they focus on more mainstream stuff. I vote for more civ, $30 will not be much per hour anyway !

You’d better not. AFAIK the rules here are so strict that even posts/links that can be possibly linked with pirate activities are forbidden (See Drunken Fish). Such CD emulator could indirectly help pirating of Civ.

1) i noticed that the "insert cd" prompt won't show if there is a cd in the drive. ANY cd.

2) you could use programs like "drive image", making an image of the cd on your hard drive. It is absoultely legal :)

While I am against Piracy, I believe the developers are heading the wrong way in copy protection. Technically a program should check for the original CD on installation. This will remove the need for no CD crack and in a way also eliminate the major piracy as I am sure software company loss 1000 times more money or pirate copies sold as compared to those small time pirate who borrow a friend's copy and install it. ;)

As the way it work now, a big time pirate can develop a no-CD crack and then sell the pirated copies with no-CD crack. So at the moment the software companies are saving from small time pirates and loosing a thousand time more to the big timer. Go figure. :p

No, the way it works is....
One game can provide for 10+ people, as no-cd cracks are easy to find on the net, if you really need it emjay, simply search for them.

Well what about the next situation.Your original cd has a little
problem because of a scratch.You're trying to make a copy,but one of the files/folders is seriously damaged.So you only need
that particular file/folder to be able to play the game again.
Personal I don't see any problem by giving or taking a few files.

I've found that on a multi-cd-rom system you must have the disc in the drive letter you installed it on.

So if you install a new hard drive or mess around with your letter assignments you may need to re-install after that.

I've never seen the game even go to the CD once it's already loaded up and playing.

I suppose it's possible a store bought copy could install and then immediately not recoginize the CD, but I would venture to guess that's about 1 in 100,000 copies, if not more. And Firaxis will immediately solve this problem should you bring it up to them.

Originally posted by Yndy
I don't like to have CD-s inserted in my Cd-ROM as it uses up very fast. In 5 years i am at my 3rd CD drive. And even if its 56X it now works OK with 16X and has a lot of read failures for CD's recorded with 40X.

As a fellow laptop owner who's on the road almost every week and wants to play Civ, I have to agree that bringing the CD is a pain. I refuse to use any sort of No-CD crack, not only due to legal issues, but because I don't want shady software on my system (who knows what else may be there?) I wish there was another way. I'd even be willing to go the Microsoft route, with "registration" of the game mandatory. (Perhaps requiring registration only if you desire to play the game without a disk.)

That being said, I do think that forcing the user to insert the CD has two advantages:

First, it's an effective method to cut down on most pirating. Most pirating is casual (Lending a buddy the game, she installs it, then gives the CD back to me). The CD insertion requirement cuts out this sort of pirating. And I do think that most people are generally honest - they may not think twice about installing something with no copy protection, but when they see they need the CD, they won't get a crack, they'll buy the game. With the casual pirates out of the picture, the company can focus legal efforts on the big guys.

Second, it allows a legal owner to play the game on two different systems. Suppose I've got a laptop for travel and a desktop at home. I want to be able to play on both systems. I'll never play on both at the same time. With a registration technique like Microsoft uses, I would not be able to do so without purchasing two copies of the game. With a mandatory CD method of copy protection, I can use both systems, but not at the same time.

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
as gonzo says: if you contact Firaxis with proove of purchase, or send them your CD if damaged, they ARE willing to give you a no-CD patch / replace your CD.

Here is my experience begging for a no-CD patch from Infogrammes tech support. Different situation than described by Killer, but here it is anyway, FYI...

my email:
Can I please get a file that will allow me to play my PURCHASED copy of Civ
3: Play the World from my hard drive without the CD. I have a laptop and
I travel frequently. I only get about 1.5 hours of juice off the battery
when playing Civ 3.... I could get more battery life with my expansion
battery that goes into the drive bay where my CD ROM drive goes.. but Civ 3
requires the disk, so that is not an option. Very frustrating on a 4+ hour
flight. I realize this is to prevent piracy, but darn it, I am not a
pirate. I just want to play for more than 1.5 hours away from a power
outlet.
I know it would be easy for you to do. PLEASE?????? I promise not to
install it anywhere else!!! Please let me know what I need in order for
this to happen.... Ill even buy another copy of PTW if I have to.... just
please help!

Their response:

Unfortunately we do not have a file like this for you to use. This game
requires the CD, and we have no control over this.

Sorry for the trouble.

Hey... at least they apologized.
:rolleyes:

Would someone please PM me some info? Not related to this No-CD subject, of course. :D I really am requesting information on annual rainfall in New Zealand. Yeah. That's It.

Originally posted by Tatran
Well what about the next situation.Your original cd has a little
problem because of a scratch.You're trying to make a copy,but one of the files/folders is seriously damaged.So you only need
that particular file/folder to be able to play the game again.
Personal I don't see any problem by giving or taking a few files.

On a technical note, the odds of this happening are so slim, you probably have the same chance at winning the lottery. How data is encoded on a CD, and given an average file size of say 100Kb, a scratch of about 1/2 inch would effect around half the files of a CD.

Your logic would make sense if all files were 100MB+ though.

I am all for allowing Backup copies though. I have Alien Crossfire for SMAC that I still play. And people who play that know Alien Crossfire is no longer for sale. I dread the idea that my CD breaks and I have to spend $75 to get a replacement on eBay.

I mainly ever use my game CDs once, for the install, & then I crack it (the game that is not the CD).

I don't care what people say about me for doing so, but to me, my game CDs are precious gems and the more they get used the shorter they live & the more chance they have of being accidently destroyed or placed shiny side up on the desk by an idiot. Like my fallout 2 CD, placed on grit & then had a bloody telepone book dumped on it while I was away for a weekend, needless to say the disc was ruined beyond repair and the worst part was that it was a full installation & didn't even need the CD. Sure I still have the game without the CD on hand, it just doesn't feel right.

If anyone knows a place in Brisbane that still sells Fallout 2, please let me know, I can't find it anywhere.

There are just too many factors that can go wrong for me to allow my CDs into regular use, so they get used when they have to and then safely stored away until their expertise is calld upon again. If that makes me a pirate, so be it, doesn't bother me.

Top Bottom