Insta-crash

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by jamesskelly, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesskelly

jamesskelly Chieftain

Evening all, I've had the game for a couple of days, and was enjoying it...till i started getting this bug: at a seemingly random point (nothing happening in particular) the game crashes, quickly and quietly, back to the desktop . It seems to happen at a certain number of turns: not sure how many, but it happens at 325AD for normal-speed games, and around 1200-1250AD for quick games.

The game's patched to 1.61, but I'm pretty sure it was happening before I patched...any ideas?

EDIT: The game instantly crashes (before even loading the file) if you choose to load the autosave from the year in which the game crashes...if you load a save from before the year where the game crashes, you can play up until the Crash Year : P, but then the same crash happens. Cheers : ).

RE-EDIT: On two separate systems : P. Close to the minimum specs, but the higher one handled High Graphics without any trouble.

2. Pendle Witch

Pendle Witch Chieftain

If you post your system specs including RAM and video card I`m sure someone will be able to help

3. jamesskelly

jamesskelly Chieftain

Okay, thanks...first things first, the lower system...this one ran on Low graphics and stuttered...

[IBM Thinkpad R50e]
    1.3GHz Intel x86 processor
    256Mb RAM
    Inbuilt Graphics >_< : "Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller"

...and I suppose that's all that's relevant...anyway, the higher system...this ran the game on High graphics pretty much flawlessly, but still had the same bug...

[IBM Thinkpad T42]
    1.7GHz Intel x86 processor
    512Mb RAM
    ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (think it's 32Mb, not sure though :confused: )

Any help would really be appreciated, thanks...

4. jamesskelly

jamesskelly Chieftain

*bump* : P...

5. Pendle Witch

Pendle Witch Chieftain

I think the video memory on your card is too low

Recommended minimum video memory is 64Mb I think

Most people recommend a 256Mb minimum - mine is 128Mb and plays OK

Here in the UK you can pick up a 128Mb card for about £30 - roughly $50

6. armchairknight

armchairknight Warlord

Have you tried to lower the resolution in your game options? It doesn't really look much different, but can save you some of that video memory that you look to be running out of. I don't mean your screen resolution, but the other graphics options on the left side of the options screen. You might be able to leave your screen resolution high, but maybe not. I hope this works for you.

7. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

try :bump: and :p

would look like :bump: :p

8. Kivarenn22

Kivarenn22 Chieftain

accidentally posted in your old identical post. but anyway, i'm having the EXACT same problem. crashes at the year 325AD, no explanations, or error logs to be had, just bang, crash to desktop. i'm using v1.61

AMD athlon 64 +3000 @ 2ghz
    1 gig ram
    128 meg radeon 9250
    160 gig HDD

I don't get ANY amount of lag or forewarnings of anything going wrong.. it just happens to crash at that year. with no explanations whatsoever

9. Armorydave

Armorydave Prince

I had a similar problem and after updating drivers, reloading the game and patches and trying everything else I could think of I took it to my computer goobs. Turns out my graphics card and mother board were bad but the only thing I ran that was effected was Civ 4. They got the problem to repeat wit other programs so they knew it wasn't Civ that was causing the problem. It was all under warrenty so it cost nothing to have them replaced and the game runs perfectly again.

10. Kivarenn22

Kivarenn22 Chieftain

well the graphic card i had only bought yesterday (specifically to play civ4 and guild wars), and the mobo isn't the greatest, but it should still be good since i bought it in 2004(i think)

i don't think its so much a hardware problem, since it seems to occur under seemingly specific situations.

11. Evil the Cat

Evil the Cat Chieftain

Im getting the same problem, I was running fine for months, but then i updated to 1.61... and now I crash at 325 AD every time. My system is way over even the recommended specs, so I'm pretty certain it isn't hardware.

12. Kivarenn22

Kivarenn22 Chieftain

arg! another casualty added to the 325AD flu. can anyone pinpoint this nonsense?

13. potatokiosk

potatokiosk Deity

It has a glitch that only allows a certain amount of turns? Maybe you could play a game on epic and see if the crash moves back into BC. I don't think it's graphics related.

14. homeyg

homeyg Deity

That can't be right - I bought my 128 MB card for over $150.

And jamesskelly, not to burst your bubble, but I think it's time you considered buying a new computer.

15. Gerikes

Gerikes User of Run-on Sentences.

Would you mind posting a save for just before a "crash year"?

16. Pendle Witch

Pendle Witch Chieftain

PC World in Blackburn have 256MB GEFORCE (6600 - I think) for £59.99

17. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.