1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Installation help

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by arcticpulse, Sep 3, 2012.

1. arcticpulse

arcticpulse Chieftain

I'm sorry to ask but I've searched youtube, these forums and google to no avail. I'm really eager to play this game but for the past two hours of trial-and-error installation. I've tried downloading in parts and extracting them all in the mod folder but that didn't work. Then I tried unzipping everything in the main folder in steam but that didn't work too. Can anyone help to post precise instructions on how to get this mod up and running?

As a side note, BtS is working fine and I can't find C2C in the mod section when the game loads up.

2. GiuseppeIII

GiuseppeIII The Third Giuseppe

If your using steam go to the my games folder
    Then go to the BTS folder
    Once in there find the Mods folder
    Place an unzipped copy of caveman to cosmos in there.

This is supposedly not the best place to put your working copy but it has worked for me

3. arcticpulse

arcticpulse Chieftain

I already tried that but it doesn't seem to work. It should show up in the mod loader screen, right? Additionally, I downloaded the mod in parts and highlighted them all and extracted to a blank folder. I copied that folder and pasted in the mods section of BtS under the steam folder. What am I doing wrong?

4. GiuseppeIII

Any folder you make should in the mods section should show up. Are you sure you are playing BTS.
    Also what is the steam folder you are talking about. For me I go to my documents then to a foldr which says my games from there are to to the BTS folder and the mod folder

5. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

OK, sounds like you are doing the correct stuff so check the Mods section. In particular in the folder you copied over is there a folder called assets? If not then you probably have the mod folder twice eg Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Caveman2Cosmos with the Assets folder in the lowest. Just move the lower older over the upper.

6. arcticpulse

arcticpulse Chieftain

I'm sure I'm playing BtS, it says so on launch and I do have the assets folder. I posted a picture.

7. GiuseppeIII

It should still show up in the mods section in game I think it's because you went first into the steam then steamships folder but I could be wrong. I know that is where you add mods for skyrim and such but I think civ works a little differently

8. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

OK, everything looks right. I had assumed that steam would have updated you to the latest version of BtS 3.19 (sometimes shown as 3.1.9)

9. arcticpulse

arcticpulse Chieftain

So any ideas?

10. dusckr87

dusckr87 Prince

Other people that have used Steam have tried putting it in the My Games\BTS\Mods folder. I don't have Steam, so don't know if it really works (one should never do that with the "normal" version), but you can try it.

EDIT---see post #4 for someone who has Steam and did it this way.

11. arcticpulse

arcticpulse Chieftain

Thanks guys, I managed to get it to work. It crashes every time I try to generate a new game though.

12. GiuseppeIII

You should probably put that in the bugs sub forum

13. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

First thing to try is delete the cache file and try again. If it still has trouble, try getting the SVN version and trying that. If it still has trouble, please report in the bugs and crashes and post a savegame or minidump. (minidumps may need to be enabled in the civini file... once enabled, when you get a CTD (crashtodesktop) it'll spit out a minidump document in the Beyond the Sword base file. If you post that here with a note as to what revision version you're at and at that point we can probably debug it.

But do try those first two steps first. Steam... I don't know what that does to/for/against the mod functioning properly so it might be a bit tough for some of us who have no experience with that (myself included.)

14. arcticpulse

arcticpulse Chieftain

Thanks for all the excellent help guys, I'll give it a go and hopefully it works!

15. Taxman66

Taxman66 King

You might also try to defrag your hard drive. My (very old) machine reached a point where I was getting a consistant CTD halfway through my turn. After running a clean up and a defrag (durring which I noticed little fragmented files intersperesed regularly through the unused space on my harddrive). Defragging cleaned that up and I got by my CTDs. At a wild guess, the fragmented files limited the paging size and caused the CTD.

16. NeWx

NeWx Chieftain

Steam do have the latest patch 3.19

I use steam and I install mods in \Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods

It seems like steam has main folders for both the expansions and the vanilla as you can download them separately.
    That is why it's not \Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Mods but \Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Also you might want to try a re-download (if your not going to use the SVN that is) as monday (Sep 3) was the day that I changed the name of the 7zip file to include 'full download' and it was also the day i re-uploaded bigger parts, So there might have ben problems with your download if you happend to download at that time.

17. Actuarian

Actuarian Warlord

I can't tell what version of Windows you have by looking at the screenshot, but it sounds like it might be a Windows 7 protection issue. Anyhow, here are three things to try.

1. Go to the "mods" folder and right click on it. Make sure you have read only turned off in the "general" tab. More importantly, make sure you have "full control" on in the security tab.

2. Have you tried unzipping to the desktop and then moving the folder to the mod sudirectory?

3. If you you have a 32 bit computer, try to start a game with a small map. There are memory issues with bigger map sizes.

18. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

If this is the case and small maps work make sure you switch on the 3GB switch (only for 32 bit machines). This will allow Large maps to work and maybe bigger.

19. arcticpulse

arcticpulse Chieftain

Yes, this is it! I tried a small map and it worked, it seems only bigger maps have this problem. I do run a 64 bit computer so I'm not sure what's wrong.

20. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

The program is 32 bit so it is limited to how much memory it can use anyway. I am told using view ports increases the size of map you can play on but I have not tried it yet.