Installation sucks!

primem0ver

Emperor
First it tried to install Direct X 9 (which is already installed) and hung for over 5 minutes. So I canceled and tried again.

Second... I don't know where it is being installed. I don't know if it even gave me the option to pick where I wanted to install the game itself (not steam...). If it did I accidentally clicked next twice and missed it.

So I canceled the installation because I never install anything important on c:\

So now I try installing again and Steam wants to DOWNLOAD rather than use the CD/DVD. I cannot get it to install using the DVD. I tried reinstalling. Didn't work. So now I have to uninstall and try again? OR wait for it to download. And I don't even know if its installing where I want...

This sucks.

Why doesn't Steam let you pick a directory like a normal program?

Why does it matter?

I think in steam's case its convenience for auto-patching and stuff.

Why does it matter?

It matters because it's my computer, and I will install a program where I want to install a program.

A game can auto-patch if the program is installed to another directory. The info is kept in your registry. There's no reason they can't give the human being the option like a normal program.

I don't really care, it's just weird and annoying when these people at Valve do strange things like this.

It matters because it's my computer, and I will install a program where I want to install a program.

A game can auto-patch if the program is installed to another directory. The info is kept in your registry. There's no reason they can't give the human being the option like a normal program.

I don't really care, it's just weird and annoying when these people at Valve do strange things like this.

Apparently you won't if you want to play Civ V.

I'm 100% with tom2050, I am surprised that a lot of people around here just don't care about this kind of thing, then again they may just not be vocal about it.

And its always a similar line to "It's the companies way or the high-way" or "if you don't like it, don't play it".

I am tired of all this emphasis on less options, power away from the user, "streamlined & intuitive". The perfect game, it will install itself and play itself too.

I agree with tom2050...

It matters because it is MY system to administer, not Steam's.

Personally, I find it distasteful in the extreme to have to have Steam's permission to play the game I paid a license to play on my personal computer. I understand a multi-player, Internet service requiring a third-party service but I DON'T WANT THAT!

I want the option of sitting in my home and playing the game I paid my hard earned money to license with out asking someone else for permission to play EVERYTIME I SIT DOWN TO PLAY! In my opinion it is simply insulting! It seems to me to be a slippery slope to to an I-Tunes/Apple type of hegemony of Steam over the games on my system.

And to me the sad thing about it is that many, many people won't care. They will simply be too excited to have another version of the game to play to recognize the big picture. This is a PREDATORY marketing move by the corporate structures involved to control us as consumers. And like lambs to the slaughter, many will go bleating mindlessly toward the slaughterhouse because they are ignorant (not stupid but unknowing) or they simply don't care (which is seems to me to be the result of a "Genius by birth, Slacker by choice" societal attitude).

In any event, tomorrow I will be returning my copy to the Gamestop location that I pre-ordered my copy from and continue to enjoy my current copy of Civ 4. At least I do not have to ask "mother, may I?" over the Internet everytime I start it up.

I don't know what you're all getting worked up about. If you want it installed on a different drive just install steam where you want it (instead of on C:). All the games are installed into the steam folder.

So i'd try uninstalling steam and then reinstalling it into the proper drive.

Why does it matter?

Here is why I care...(along with a little file and work saving advice)

I don't trust Windows. I install ALL things I care about on a separate drive or at least a separate partition from the operating system. Before XP I had to format/reinstall windows every six months because it's registry and bloatware got so cluttered (since I do a lot of trying out software and developing). Now I have to do it once every year or two. Windows file organization sucks period. Using partitions (like linux does) makes life a LOT easier for people who care about their information, particularly those of us who tinker.

So please don't assume that because it isn't important to you it isn't important to other people. Like many have said. It's my computer and just because Windows sucks at file management doesn't mean I have to be. Steam is so irritating that I almost want my money back. The game better be worth the pain or I will be selling mine soon.

I put Steam in my F drive, so it installs everything in there aside from the "my documents" folders and files which are fine in the C drive. Everything else is better left as far away from the C drive as possible, especially where Windows 7 is concerned.

It seems to me to be a slippery slope to to an I-Tunes/Apple type of hegemony of Steam over the games on my system.

And to me the sad thing about it is that many, many people won't care. They will simply be too excited to have another version of the game to play to recognize the big picture. This is a PREDATORY marketing move by the corporate structures involved to control us as consumers. And like lambs to the slaughter, many will go bleating mindlessly toward the slaughterhouse because they are ignorant (not stupid but unknowing) or they simply don't care (which is seems to me to be the result of a "Genius by birth, Slacker by choice" societal attitude).

i prefer steam to being tied down to a disk, no cd checks, no need to be connected to the internet (after initial install) and no need for the game to be backed up

with itunes if u lose your media it is gone forever ... with steam, after purchace u have access to it forever ... really no way to compare the 2 other than they are both on the internet

Top Bottom