[CTP] Installing Call to Power 1 on Windows 10 64-bit (solution)

thecrazyscot

Spiffy
After much trial and effort and lots of googling, I finally got my copy of Call to Power 1 to work on my 64-bit copy of Windows 10. I'd thought I'd share what steps I took to give others assistance as I never found a good step-by-step guide anywhere.

Note: I'm proficient with Google, not with coding. This involved a bunch of trial and error; I would test the game after each step. Some of these steps may not have been strictly necessary, but I'll include them anyways because now I have a working game so I see no reason to do further troubleshooting.

1. Install the game as normal
  2. Download and install the official 1.2 patch (you will need to run as administrator in order to install properly)
  3. Download and install the unofficial 1.21 patch (again, run as administrator)
  4. Right click civctp.exe and go the "Compatibility" tab. Run in Windows 98/ME compatibility mode and check "Run as Administrator".
    • When running in Windows XP compatibility mode I could start new games, but it would crash after a few turns. You could give it a go though, it might work for you.
  5. Now to get those videos working (these steps came from here):
    • Open Command Prompt (run as administrator)
      type: cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (32bit users can skip this step) - press enter
      type: regsvr32 ir50_32.dll - press enter

to undo what you have done, type: regsvr32 /u ir50_32.dll
      there is an error during unregistration, but it does remove it from being active
    • Install the Combined Community Codec...toggle "Reset all codecs" at the end of the install and restart your computer
  6. If the game still doesn't run, remove all the videos from ctp_data\default\videos and back them up elsewhere
  7. Once in the game, select Game Options and disable wonder movies. I also recommend enabling autosaves.

Finally, because CtP requires a disk to play, I made an ISO image to save my copy from wear and tear. I used InfraRecorder, which is free, lightweight, and doesn't come with any crap. Windows 10 will mount ISOs natively, or you can download Daemon Tools Lite.

Thank you very much for the guide, I've been wanting to play cctp 1 for awhile now. Though the patch 1.2 and unofficial patch 1.21 download links appear to be broken. Are they available elsewhere?

Thanks

It runs perfectly, videos and all. Thank you very much for your help!

thecrazyscot, When using the 1.21 patch updater, I am getting a message that the computer can't update because the "civctp.exe is an unknown version"? And it won't update. I've had this disc a long time - since circa '99 according to the disc's dates. Any ideas?

thecrazyscot, When using the 1.21 patch updater, I am getting a message that the computer can't update because the "civctp.exe is an unknown version"? And it won't update. I've had this disc a long time - since circa '99 according to the disc's dates. Any ideas?
Sorry I can't be more help, but I didn't encounter that problem in any of my research on this :/

Fixed it. I think it was because I didn't run the 1.20 patch as an administrator. Thank you for the help.

I'm new here, first off I want to say thank you for the guide, it seems to have worked for me except for one problem. For some reason my game can not save any scenarios or maps, so my saved games cannot load. Any ideas?

Thank you for your time

EDIT :

Never mind, I had not played this game in over 10 years and didn't know about making the directories, text files and so forth. I have read the readme file and have got it kind of working.

Last edited:
You are a gentleman and a scholar. Crashed every time I went to the library at first but after disabling movies it's all good.
Anyone here have a link to the Apolyton Pack? Celestial Dawn plus the graphics for the new units and some maps? Game is far more fun with those fixes and every since Apolyton changed the links to their old game mods have been lost.

I've mirrored the patches on Mega now - try these links:
Official 1.2 Patch
Unofficial 1.21 Patch

You legend. The Apolyton links are dead so I'm glad you did this.

Anyone here have a link to the Apolyton Pack? Celestial Dawn plus the graphics for the new units and some maps? Game is far more fun with those fixes and every since Apolyton changed the links to their old game mods have been lost.

Second this question. I can't find a single working link to the CTP1 Apolyton pack. :(

Someone's got to have a copy somewhere!

Got it guys! Thankfully it looks like the Apolyton downloads were all backed up on Web Archive.

Only sucky thing is that all the backups after 2014 don't have working downloads so anything that was added after that time is still lost but lets face it.. nothing was probably added after then for this old game anyway lol!

Here's a link to the newest working backup I could find. I was able to get the Apolyton CTP1 pack, patches, and some maps with no troubles.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140903.../c-downloads-8

Top Bottom