1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing Civ 4 on Windows 7/Vista (32-/64-bit)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by kiwitt, Jan 19, 2011.

1. rf9381

rf9381 Chieftain

Thanks for the reply & advise. I will stick with windows 7 also for now. I play civ 3/conquests (downloaded from Steem website) on windows 7 with no problems. It has been my favorite since 2002.
    Thanks again!

2. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Hi :) .

I searched your posts, but couldn't find any description of what hinders you to simply install and play CIV4. Could you plz describe the problems that you have, and possibly tell us which error message you're getting, and when the problem occurs, then we could try to help.

Seraiel

3. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

I followed the instructions for the windows 7 / vista install and it worked fine on Win 8.1
    I do get the voice capture error, but have never used a mike, so no worries there.

Just done the upgrade to official release of Windows 10, all still working fine. :goodjob: Can't comment on a clean install.

4. Mega Tsunami

Mega Tsunami Emperor

@feringinar
    Just to be clear - you were running Civ4 on 8.1 and, having upgraded your system to Windows 10, Civ 4 continues to work ok?
    Has anyone else done this?

5. chasbolt

chasbolt RTO

Yes, no problem. I have an HP Laptop which came with Windows 8, upgraded to 8.1 and running Civ4 BTS and did an upgrade to Windows 10, I was amazed. 1st Windows upgrade that caused me no issues.

6. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

Yes, that is correct. I installed it on a new PC with 8.1, using the vista / win 7 methodology, and it worked fine. I have subsequently upgraded to windows 10, and it is still working. I have successfully played through a complete game, with a number of reloads on new sessions. No issues.

7. Mega Tsunami

Mega Tsunami Emperor

Thanks guys – I have now upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and Civ 4 BTS (The BAT Mod) works just fine.
    Cheers

8. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

I have now installed indows 10 on our new system and confirm the procedure I created continues to work.

9. neziuht

neziuht Chieftain

Hi everyone! So my brother gave me the Retail Civilization IV Complete , but I can't seem to make it work on my computer.

I have windows 7 64bit installed and my pc specs are:
    intel core i7 2.1
    geforce 710m
    6GB RAM

I install the game from the cd , but when I try to launch the game nothing happens, no error at all, it simply doesn't start... Can someone help me please?

Thank you in advance!

10. Ramkhamhaeng

Ramkhamhaeng Warlord

11. neziuht

neziuht Chieftain

Thank you so much, that worked! :D

12. maartenvb

maartenvb Chieftain

Did they change something recently to Windows 7 security settings? I keep getting messages that I need administrator rights. When I launch it as administrator nothing seems to happen. Can anybody help me?

13. kiwitt

14. Hitchimus

Hitchimus Chieftain

I've been running Vista (SP2) for years and the original Civ IV (from the box) worked fine. Today Windows installed an update and now when I try and run the game, nothing happens - no error message, no pop up box, nothing. I ran the procedure above to install as admin and install the patches the same way - same issue.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

15. kiwitt

see the post above

16. Hitchimus

Hitchimus Chieftain

Thanks - this is a bit out of my league. How do I run a command prompt in Vista? Can't see the option on the start button...

17. Hitchimus

Hitchimus Chieftain

Got it - thanks!

18. ScoopJohn

ScoopJohn Chieftain

I tried following this but i tried starting up the game after patching with v.1.61 and nothing happened.

I have a new windows 8.1 64bit pc, i tried other ways and it still didn't work :I
    admin mode, windows 7 compatiblity, etc.
    nothing yet, :((

19. kiwitt

I think only BTS now runs, because of its no CD patch. So you need Civ 4, Warlords and BTS to be able to play.

20. SgtAirborne

SgtAirborne Chieftain

problem solved by reinstalling !