1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing legal copy of Civ IV on new PC without discs

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by AbuHab, Dec 8, 2019.

1. AbuHab

AbuHab Warlord

I'm sure this has already been answered somewhere, but I couldn't find the answer. I apologize for my poor search skills.

I own a legal copy of Civ IV Complete. I have the discs, but I've bought a new computer that doesn't have a disc drive. What's the easiest way to install Civ IV on my new PC?

2. AbuHab

AbuHab Warlord

Meh, never mind. I can't even find my discs anymore. Guess I'll have to buy a new digital version for $30 from GoG. :(

3. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Prince

Considering the season it's probably worth waiting to see if it'll be discounted in the near future. Alternatively, if you do happen to come across the discs later, I'm pretty sure that these days there's standalone disc drives that connect to a USB port. Don't know how expensive they are, but it could be worth a try.

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Civ iv goes on sale for around 7 bucks and there should be sales soon...you just missed some sales too. Don't pay 30 buck when you can pay 7 in a week or so on GOG, Steam, Greenman, whatever.

I think you could find a cheap drive too, if you find your disks, but not that there have been issues installing the disks on Win 10. Getting a digital copy now is probably best.

Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  5. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yeah, GoG is your friend. It goes on sail quite often and Complete even comes with Warlords and Colonization.

6. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

I stopped using GOG, once i liked them but now i see how they charge 5+ Euro for ~1990 games and nonsense like that.
    Milking money from games that should long be freeware (most studios are even gone by now), and where legit abandonware sites already had good installers included, does not make them a company worth supporting anymore.

7. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I don't know. Paying less than 10 bucks for CIV IV complete at GOG is much preferred than paying for it at Steam.

8. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

Firaxis gave me a steam code for the Gold version in exchange for a digital photography of my disks. Worth a try.