Installing Windows 10 on an external USB hard drive

Angst

Rambling and inconsistent
Hi guys

I hope this is a fair question to ask in this forum.

Does anyone have a solution to the above problem?

I've been using this guide http://www.partition-tool.com/resou...nstall-windows-10-on-external-hard-drive.html to do what's necessary. However after I'm finished, where everything has been processed succesfully, I can't get my computer to boot from my USB hard drive.

I've entered boot options and changed priorities to have my pc boot from USB hard drive before my internal hard drive, and have even removed my internal hard drive (because the internal drive connection is failing - the reason I'm doing this).

But then my pc still won't boot from my USB hard drive. It goes straight to the boot menu, and when listing the usb hard drive as the first priority (as the USB HD shows up in the options too), saving and restarting just returns me to the boot options.

Reinserting the internal HD had my pc boot from that as normal, even with my USB HD being in a higher priority, and even when I manually choose the USB HD from my manual boot menu.

I'm basically doing everything the guide asks me to, with one exception. The only .wim file that are on recent Windows 10 flash drive installations is called "boot.wim", not "install.wim", so I'm applying the image with boot.wim. Command prompt says it's being done succesfully too. But that might be the problem.

I hope you can help me. Thanks

Top Bottom