1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Intel? Pentium? Athlon?

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Stevenpfo, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Stevenpfo

Stevenpfo Emperor

I've only ever used Pentium for any of my desktop computers and one laptop i've owned and I have no idea what the difference is or how to compare while shopping. I'll be heading over seas just after Christmas and I was looking around today and thought it'd be a good idea to ask if anyone could help me sort that out.

So my question is: does anyone know the difference between these two and possibly which would be better for a laptop? How do the processor speeds compare? I notice that some may say it's like 3.07 Ghz, yet a more expensive different processor will only be 1.67 Ghz or something. Why are they different (smaller?) yet so much more expensive?

Thanks in advance.

2. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

AMD is better. Ghz don't really matter anymore.

3. Civrules

Civrules We the People

True. I doubt the GHZ rate will be increasing as much as it has been in the past. ;)

4. Comraddict

Comraddict C.IV

You are very right...won't at all..power race replaced it. i.e. P4 now is 100+W device. intel is abandoning it completely and going to reinvent Pentium M for desktop. and hoping that future powerful CPUs won't draw more than 80W.

5. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Are you sure? I hope they wont go into the Terahertz range :p.

6. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

The heat dissipated is too much, with today's technology. Intel hadn't been able to move up for quite some time now...

7. dannyevilcat

dannyevilcat DESTROYER OF FURNITURE

Obviously clock speed is still important for performance, it's just taken a back seat to better engineering.

8. Yusaku Jon III

Yusaku Jon III Chieftain

As dannyevilcat said above, it's all in the engineering. Intel might be pushing for brute computing speed, but they still use a limited front side bus and the core processor chip(s) aren't integrated into the processor itself. AMD's Athlon line does this, making it ideal for processor-intensive gaming applications.

Having once owned an AMD PC myself (a Win98 Compaq Presario mid-tower), I can say that they perform as well as any of the bigger Intel systems. It's in gaming where the AMD starts showing its flexibility...

9. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

AMD uses a naming system to comapare their processors to Intel and others that rate more by clock speed. ie, an Athlon64 3000+ is meant to compare to a P4 3.0Ghz.

If you're looking for higher end performance, AMD is clearly superior to Intel in the top range. Go AMD and you'll never go back ;)

10. Jeratain

Jeratain On the can.

For a laptop go with an Intel Pentium M prcoessor. If you want, get the Centrino package.

:nono: Don't be a fanboy.

For desktop processors, you're better off going with AMD right now. For mobile processors, stick with Intel. They consume less power. vbraum is right when he says that the clockspeed isn't as important anymore. A 1.6 Ghz Pentium M is very powerful and will do all of what you need while giving you longer battery life than its Pentium 4 or AMD laptop counterparts.

11. Dabomb18359

Dabomb18359 Link Has Become A Jedi

Well I have a laptop with AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (not sure whether it's "M" or not) and it averages 3 hours battery time not plugged in, and I've had it for over 6 months, so AMD is good for my laptop.

12. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

I was stating what you said in 3 words. ;)

13. Jeratain

Jeratain On the can.

You were, but it wasn't related to what the OP was asking about: laptops. :p

14. HAND

HAND Armchair Philosopher

Athlon 64 is the best for a desktop at the moment, but i would go for Pentium M for a laptop.

15. GrandAdmiral

GrandAdmiral Deity

A big difference is the Intel Pentium M performs up to its specs on battery power. The other chips throttle their clock speed when you unplug them.

16. Bungus

Bungus Archont of Cootertown

Interesting information I did not know. I'm looking for a new motherboard and processor for my desktop, and I guess ADM is the way to go. I always figured they were pretty much the same. Kinda like the Foodtown and Acme brand oatmeal.

17. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

AMD has the Mobile Turion 64 for laptops. The range is -currenly- from ML 28 up to ML37. Of these the higher the number, the better.
    Intel uses pentium M CPU's. types 710 up to 760. Again, generally the higher the number the better.

But since there are more than 1 factor deciding the speed of the PC (like Ghz, amount of cache, FSB, Speedstep, Hyperthreading, x64 etc.) the main question that needs to be answered = "What will your laptop be doing ?" . Small files, but a lot of them performs different than huge files, but few.

There is no real answer to "IsAMD better than Intel ?" without defining the task of the laptop.

18. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

I love my AMD.