1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Interest in doing a pacifist, ascendancy victory run starting in the industrial era?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer and LP's' started by KaTiON_PT, Jan 24, 2018.

1. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Emperor

I'm looking to see if there are people interested in playing such a type of game. Basically a sim city/builder's game where you focus on your nation's development.

Map would be @TPEHEP Vertical Solar System Map with eternity game speed (slowest) normal game speed and the goal would be to be the first to build the ascendancy gates. Secondary goals could be something like who has the greatest population/GDP/Mfg goods by the end.

Co-operation between players could be suggested since there are continents that miss critical resources/factory goods that others might have. Not sure about espionage for the moment. Game rules could be set after people show interest.

For the selected continent/nation I too am unsure if it's better to be a first come first served or randomly assigned.

Tagging @pepper2000 and @raxo2222 because I know you two love the space age.

Starting map.

Interested Users: 4/7

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  2. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

Could be interesting. Count me in.

KaTiON_PT likes this.
  3. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I'm at my capacity for MP games at the moment but I'd love to be able to peek in now and then somehow.

KaTiON_PT likes this.
  4. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Emperor

Every time it's my turn I can take pics to chronicle it.

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

That'd be cool. I was hoping some post v38 release MP games might get started. It's a good time to start an MP game after a release.

KaTiON_PT likes this.
  6. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

I vote for randomly selected.

I am guessing not, but would each player be required to have that map installed to be able to play?

Similarly, do we actually need the Space Colonization modmod? The page for that says that it is now merged with core C2C, so I am guessing not, but asking anyway.

KaTiON_PT likes this.
  7. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Emperor

I believe you download it once the game starts, but i'm not sure...

Yeah it's been integrated, no need to worry about it!

By the way, annexed to this reply is the map in question (or imgur mirror, lower res), any thoughts whether we "claim" territory in order to give the most equal distribution of land or let us settle without restriction?

Attached Files:

• Map.jpg
      Map.jpg
      File size:
      4.5 MB
      Views:
  8. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

I haven't done an Advanced Start using C2C at all, and possibly never at all, so I am unsure about exactly how it works. [I also seem to recall that Advanced Start is broken in C2C, but I could be wrong.] Still, I would say that land distribution should be mostly unrestricted, with one exception. During the Advanced Start, a player should not place any city more than halfway toward their neighbor(s) starting location(s). For example, the North American player would not be allowed to place a city in Panama as that would be too close to the South America start location. After that, IE during actual play, it would be unrestricted.

I suppose we could, before play begins and once all players are known, have each player - in turn order - choose a grid coordinate for their next city until all allowed cities are placed. This would probably require the game starter to use the world-builder to place all such cities. Possibly not.

Actually, that is a good question. Are you planning to use the Advanced Start feature of the Custom Game/Scenario screen, or are you planning to use the Worldbuilder to advance all Civs up to Industrial, place cities, etc? Or something else?

9. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Emperor

Good idea with the advanced start, hadn't thought about it! Personally I'd vote for a single city start and then expand from there as that would make the early game a bit more fun.

Here's what I had in mind:
    • Players choose their starting tile inside their continent
    • Players start with the early industrial era equivalent of a settler, a police unit, two offensive units, a hunter and a scout
    • Players start with all technologies (including -punks and religions) researched up to and including industrial lifestyle
    Other things like start date, if players start with a specific religion, etc. I wanted to discuss with the rest first.

10. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

Sounds reasonable so far. Now we just need more players.

Edit: Actually, it might be better to leave the religions not researched, otherwise the first player in turn order would probably get them all. Or can those be assigned via the World-builder?

KaTiON_PT likes this.
  11. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Emperor

Yep, we can assign them.

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The thing about advanced start is that the XML is not well designed. It is horrifically imbalanced with generic pricing for purchasing everything being roughly the same for all things. I don't actually suggest its use. When I last started a Modern game start, it was actually quite fun building up from that point.

KaTiON_PT likes this.
  13. Acularius

Acularius King

I was looking at the map. Still needs some work with resource placement judging by the existence of ivory and common clay, which also indicates to me that other resources would have similar problems (like aluminum and etc.)
    It was one of those issues that plagued me when the 'GREAT RESOURCE TRANSITION' :p happened a few years back.

I would be interested in playing though.

KaTiON_PT likes this.
  14. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Emperor

Good observations... At least that is easily moddable. What do you think of @Pit2015 Ultimate Earth Map resource placements? I could take inspiration in that if you find it somewhat accurate.

15. Acularius

Acularius King

Not familiar with the map, I typically avoid maps over 'huge' so its just not something I've loaded up or if I have not in recent memory.
    I do recall strategyonly pointing out resource placement flaws in the original 'huge map' where the USA was lacking in at least corn and iron.
    So, given the number of resources in the mod there's a fair amount of resource that needs to be done before resource placement takes place.

I'm not trying to be a spoilsport or anything, but its just going to take some time.

16. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

The UEM has pretty good placements but it's beyond Gigantic in size. And if you played on Eternity game speed like he suggests (but I would not recommend) you will be playing it for Years.

raxo2222 and KaTiON_PT like this.
  17. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Yep, better use Normal speed.
    Just don't look at units and calendar, as units movement is effectively 8x slower compared to eternity - everything moves/advances about 8x faster on Normal speed than eternity

KaTiON_PT likes this.
  18. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Emperor

19. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

I am under the impression that C2C does not have a speed called "Normal". As I recall, the quickest speed is Marathon. That said, it seems to me that the recommendation of playing on 'Normal' was specifically for the UEM map, and not for this game, so it is not relevant. THAT said, I have no strong preference as to game speed. Based on my experiences with the current online multiplayer games, this one will take "forever" regardless of what game speed we select, as we will probably only manage from one to five turns per real-world week. Thus select a game speed that you expect will produce good game-play in the modern and further eras.

Unless you are proposing to switch this game over to the UEM. As far as I have seen, that one does not have the space terrains attached to it, so we could not experience those eras as this game was intended to do. I would rather play on the Wertical Map.

20. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Sorry MagnusIlluminus but C2C's fastest Game Speed(GS) is Normal = 1000 turns, then Epic =2000, Marathon =3350, Snail=5035, Eon=6550 and Eternity=8250. You can't go by vanilla BtS GS for C2C.
    And Pit2015 made his UEM with the idea you Play Eternity GS with Deity or Nightmare Deity Difficulty. It of course can be played on any GS and any Difficulty.

A Normal GS will allow you to reach the later Eras in a timely fashion. That is one of the many reasons I set the Conservative MP game up on Normal GS.