1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Interested in a longer game?

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by Brew, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Brew

Brew Chieftain

Hey; I'm just wondering if there is any other interest in creating a modified RFC with 2X as many turns. It makes it so much more realistic for conducting wars; building the Roman Empire or Arabian Caliphate takes way too long and takes away from the realism of this otherwise incredibly realistic game.

However, there is no modmod that does this, so it occurred to me I might be the only one dying for this option. Of course it would take extremely long to play the late game, but it would be ideal for pre-industrial eras.

I know nothing about modding, but am almost to the point that I would be willing to commission such a project! Thoughts?

2. kochman

kochman Chieftain

I am a fan of marathon, so I support this idea.
    Unfortunately, I cannot be counted on to actually help, as this is well beyond my extremely limited skill set.

3. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

I think a lot of players are "dying" for this to happen also. With any luck its only a matter of time before someone does makes this happen.

What do you mean by "commision" by the way? I you have the means to do so, you could just pay Rhye to do it himself! :goodjob:

The work should in any case be headed by someone with knowledge about C++ programming and practical experience of compiling the DLL. The other stuff, like Python, is something that we mere mortals could very well contribute to.

4. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

I have something that is a bit more complex, and it'd have to be ported to basic RFC (boring work of replacing a lot of numbers in python) - a set of functions that allow the use of any game speed type in RFC, since dates/turns are no longer constants. They are calculated in C++ once per game session and cached in Python dict, so it doesn't slow the game. I guess I could provide the tools if someone is up to the boring task of replacing things like "con.i600AD" with "utils.getTurnForYear(600)" and "+30" with "+utils.calcTurns(30)" etc. though it has to be done carefully, keeping an eye on turn intervals and periods so that things like stability calculations are also in line with the changes (it works in a bastard mod of mine but I didn't test stability etc. on Epic/Marathon yet).

Alternatively, just doing double turns is easier, you'd have to double all the turn numbers in Python (and in a few places in C++), though same rules as above apply.

EDIT: Also, CAR MOD speeds up RFC by ~20%, it does work and may be particularly useful if you play Epic+.

5. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

That is very clever! :goodjob: This is the reason why this is a job for a pro like you, and not an amateur like me. :rolleyes:

edit: CAR MOD?

6. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Well, like as said, the first option is something like 4x more work in python and I'd rather not do that part, so a choice needs to be made ;)

The CAR MOD is an invisible modification to the DLL that caches some frequently used values, mostly AI attitude values. The more civs are alive, the higher the speed gain. I haven't ran tests myself, just merged it in and the autoplay speed change was amazing, visible with a naked eye, so to speak.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=332196

7. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Hi embryodead, I remember you from civ3 times.

Actually I had already merged CAR mod with RFC, for a future patch release. I measured improvement of 15% in modern era, but not so much earlier in the game.

If you provided me all the code I need to convert the dates, maybe I could merge your work (something I should have done myself but I've always been too lazy) as well as the new fixes of CAR 0.3 (I used 0.2).
    As it's something that takes time, I could aim at a late March release.

8. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

What is CAR? :confused:

9. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Hey Rhye! Yes I've only recently moved from Civ3 and got pretty much stuck with RFC/RFCE, needless to say, great job ;)

If that's OK with you I can extract and provide the C++ code & python utils but not the changed turns in Python yet, since it's a modmod with different dates etc.

@Baldyr
    There's an explanation + link in my previous answer. I had better results likely because of 33 civs, but even 15% in modern times is a lot.

10. killerkebab

killerkebab Chieftain

Is it possible to keep the tech tree as it is? I have noticed in my games that technological progress is more or less done in the correct timeframe, however city construction, war, and colonisation isn't.

Giving players 2x more turns and making techs cost 2x as much could work, right? Or is it nowhere near that simple? (or 1.5x more turns and 1.5x tech cost)

EDIT: Actually it seems like a bigger job now, things like spawn dates and AI attitudes would have to be refined. Still sounds like a really interesting idea.

11. meto30

meto30 Chieftain

I'm very new to RFC, but in Vanilla Civ III and IV I always played the longest game available. Otherwise the wars are way too long and units are phased out way too fast. I would have produced only about 30 Praetorians by the time macemen and knights begin to obsolete them on a normal speed game, and I'm a warmonger.

So, yeah, I think Marathon is very much needed for RFC. Although not the Marathon of the Vanilla games; I think that like in the original RFC the Marathon/Epic RFC should also have longer ancient/classical eras.