Interesting Firaxis job posting - I wonder what for?

bbbt

Deity
ONLINE SERVICES ENGINEER

Firaxis Games is looking for an Online Services Engineer to help enrich our games with services such as matchmaking, player stats, leaderboards, analytics, entitlement platforms, anti-cheat and security, customer service tools, and more.

Responsibilities:

• Work closely with internal and external online services platform teams, advocating for the game team
  • Become a domain expert for our internal and external online service platforms
  • Work with the game team to build and maintain online service functionality within game clients
---

Neither X-Com or Civ are particularly robust in this area to say the least. Do you think they are looking to boost them, or have something new and online focused in the works (Sid Meier's Starships 2!)

Let's hope it will be someone to work with regarding security mods for Civ6 so we can expand Game of the Month and Hall of Fame. :please:

Does X-Com have a multiplayer option at all? It might be promising to add one if not. Seems more likely than for civ imho.

Or an aerospace engineer. :p

Uhm... the way things are going it might even be a pay to win "social" game.... notice the over emphasis on servers and clients

Uhm... the way things are going it might even be a pay to win "social" game.... notice the over emphasis on servers and clients

That hasn't been the way AAA games has been going for quite a while. "Servers" and "clients" have been standard networking jargon for, well, as long as computer networking has been a thing.

It says right there in the job description that the "online services" are essentially a framework for online multiplayer.

That hasn't been the way AAA games has been going for quite a while. "Servers" and "clients" have been standard networking jargon for, well, as long as computer networking has been a thing.

It says right there in the job description that the "online services" are essentially a framework for online multiplayer.
Yeah that basically just says "make a platform where players can stay connected to one another."

It looks like they are aiming for future products to have greater appeal to the esports market.

I just got an email from 2K saying they are upgrading the My2K system to implement more features. It seems like this job position might be a part of that.

Perhaps, but more likely 2K uses its own personnel for My2K work, rather than sourcing that work to its subsidiary, Firaxis.

I think they want someone with no experience, to get experience to fix all the games they made.

Then my imp threw a fireball at me. :)

Top Bottom