1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting Firaxis job posting - I wonder what for?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bbbt, May 14, 2018.

1. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

ONLINE SERVICES ENGINEER

Firaxis Games is looking for an Online Services Engineer to help enrich our games with services such as matchmaking, player stats, leaderboards, analytics, entitlement platforms, anti-cheat and security, customer service tools, and more.

Responsibilities:

• Work closely with internal and external online services platform teams, advocating for the game team
    • Become a domain expert for our internal and external online service platforms
    • Work with the game team to build and maintain online service functionality within game clients
    ---

Neither X-Com or Civ are particularly robust in this area to say the least. Do you think they are looking to boost them, or have something new and online focused in the works (Sid Meier's Starships 2!)

Abraxis likes this.
  2. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Let's hope it will be someone to work with regarding security mods for Civ6 so we can expand Game of the Month and Hall of Fame. :please:

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  3. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

4. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Does X-Com have a multiplayer option at all? It might be promising to add one if not. Seems more likely than for civ imho.

5. darko82

darko82 Chieftain

I'd prefer they were looking for AI experts.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  6. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Chieftain

Or an aerospace engineer. :p

Pietato likes this.
  7. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

This is almost certainly for future projects, so let's hope XCOM-3, Civ 7, or whatever else they have up their sleeve has a much more robust, and dare-I-say-it 21st century, multiplayer system.

Eagle Pursuit and Exterrestrial like this.
  8. Rambo919

Rambo919 Chieftain

Uhm... the way things are going it might even be a pay to win "social" game.... notice the over emphasis on servers and clients

9. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

That hasn't been the way AAA games has been going for quite a while. "Servers" and "clients" have been standard networking jargon for, well, as long as computer networking has been a thing.

It says right there in the job description that the "online services" are essentially a framework for online multiplayer.

10. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Chieftain

Yeah that basically just says "make a platform where players can stay connected to one another."

11. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It looks like they are aiming for future products to have greater appeal to the esports market.

12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I just got an email from 2K saying they are upgrading the My2K system to implement more features. It seems like this job position might be a part of that.

13. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Perhaps, but more likely 2K uses its own personnel for My2K work, rather than sourcing that work to its subsidiary, Firaxis.

14. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

I think they want someone with no experience, to get experience to fix all the games they made.

Then my imp threw a fireball at me. :)