[BTS] interesting isolation map

Tonny

King
Hiya,

I rolled an interesting map that I would like to share with everyone.

Spoiler settings :

t0 settings iso.JPG

Just standard with 6 AI
LMA is turned off, since I purposely searched for isolation maps. I have no map knowledge, since I rolled this one some time ago and forgot the map. Don't even know the opponents. (I have rolled and saved several iso starts this way.)

Spoiler And the starting area :

t0 starting area.JPG

Anyone who would like to play this one. Have fun!
I'm using buffy 3.19.005.

Spoiler :

What would you do with the surroundings? :devil:

Attachments

• Tonny BC-4000 iso.CivBeyondSwordSave
    41.7 KB · Views: 32
Have to settle W on the Plains Hill; gets the extra starting hammer and is realistically the only way to save a fish being orphaned.

Walk NE with warrior and then S with Settler first to make sure nothing crazy happening, then move onto PH.

I see capac river+forests+food.
This has certainly potential to be an easier than average iso map. Anyone who like to try out iso but are afraid it's too touch could try this one (I think).

Commerce is always key pre-optics, and with financial coast and financial cottages on rivers, well... You got that covered here. :)
Other than that, happines is almost always the key constraintin iso. So one option is to just chop out pyramids. Rep beakers is nice, GEng points are nice, +3 happines everywhere is huuuge.
So one could do worse than
1. Try to chop out IND-pyramids.
2. ???
3. Profit!

The start looks like an achielles heel though... Hard to concieve a start that is less suited for the otherwise beloved Agri starting tech.
And myst doesn't do anything for us either.

Settlement 1W on the PH seems nice, will be able to do a 6turn workboat after finishing fishing.
Doesn't look like there is any urgency with the worker since there is only forest. :D
The cow I think we do best to just ignore, farm it or cottage it, but alone it doesn't warrant AH.

Cow can be farmed too.

With Qs, might even eschew early BW for GLH focus tech. Looks suspiciously like something in the water to the SW..maybe an island. So GLH could payoff early here.

Satan's voice :satan:: SIP, kill that fish :evil: ! <-- :jesus:: Don't do that:nono:. Settling 1W seems obvious.
^just joking

Can't play this but curious to see what people will do with such a start :popcorn:

What about settling 1E on the forested PH? Surely it kills a forest, but then City 2 can be placed where the quechua is. These 2 cities would get all the food tiles and many shareable river tiles as well. This start would be a bit slower (T1 settle, slower WB), but it may provide a more efficient city placement early on. Barbs can be also handled more easily with the Inca.

Fish is the only decent food source, so moving away is probably not wise.

Not sure what is actually interesting on this map...

Well,

played just 1 turn to let you see the first glimps
Spoiler :

t0 seeing land.JPG

There is land to the SW. GLH is now a serious option.
But what is up there in the N? :mischief:

Well,

played just 1 turn to let you see the first glimps
Spoiler :

View attachment 611815
There is land to the SW. GLH is now a serious option.
But what is up there in the N? :mischief:

Spoiler :

Cool!
That could certainly make for some interesting play. GLH could be nice... But I'm not sure I would prioritize GLH above pyramids. Getting both might be very tricky.

I always was curious about what's best in this situation, for a worker (minor pic spoiler for PH settle west)
Spoiler :

Could grow to size 4 and whip him with 1t in, or start now at 9:hammers: for 4t.
Or 10:hammers: with cows, and just build him without whip :)

Attachments

• hc.jpg
    hc.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 406
@Fippy I went with worker at pop2.

Agree that thse situations are incredibly hard to figure out. At least I can't do it. :D
What I have to do, is to play the opening differently and then compare at some later timestamp.

Spoiler T38 :

First workboat was built once fishing was in with 5H/turn, then quick growth to pop2 since the bar was half-full.
Then I just went for a worker to sync up decently with BW to chop the second boat.
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Mine the hill to get another 4-yield tile, then finish with another chop.
Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

Revolt at transit...
Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

This is one way to play it!

Spoiler T117 :

Built GLH first, then settled on the stone on the offshore island and built pyramids. Then granted independence to those two crappy cities (to get +1 happines from vassal).
Thought that the vassal could do something too, but Washington have been trying to tech alpha in vain since.

Perhaps should gift the other two cities once there are traderoutes with the AIs...?
Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

I like the way you handled this map @krikav. I do have a question. How do you handle the barbs? I tried, but could not survive the constant stream.

I like the way you handled this map @krikav. I do have a question. How do you handle the barbs? I tried, but could not survive the constant stream.

A few forward quechas to prevent spawns nearby and to give a heads up at intrusions.
Once I saw a spear I fell back and quickly teched archery.
I took a stance against the barb spear on a wooded hill and won at 70% odds though and didn't have to build/whip any archer.

There was no onslaught of barbs at all really.

Yeah, I just spawn busted myself. I made it a priority to get out a few Qs first thing, and just gradually advance them as borders expand. Killed a spear up north with a Q on a hill. After him, a barb city spawned up there and the barbs pretty much stopped. Did not bother with archery at all, but maybe krik is playing this on deity.

Creating a vassal is brilliant. I mighta just fed him all the cities on the island.

Top Bottom