Internal Affairs

the pindicator said:
I should open up a department of central intelligence forum thread in charge of discerning as much info about our opponents as possible (info from demographics and other things, maybe in charge of spies later on -- i dunno, how much like a demogame are we?).

Please do. Having a cenral repository for that stuff is helpful for the old duffers.

Kickbooti said:
As we are nearing the completion of our workboat; does anyone, in principle, object to sending the boat past the fish for a turn or two do explore a bit of the area to the east?

Sounds fine with me. It is two squares to the fish, and then sailing around the bay is a further four squares, or six if we want to look through the heads. This shouldn't affect London too much.

yeah scout some with the work boat. A couple turns of 5 food isn't all too much to lose.

Speaking of finishing the workboat, was ther a consensus on worker or warrior??

btw thanks Bede for plodding along in a dry spell :)

I believe a warrior as the worker wouldn't have much to do right now. I'd be for partially building a warrior and then at the next pop, switching to a worker. Then the warrior can be mostly built and switched to if a threat arises.

well it determines whether or not a warrior build will be needed. the work boat will give +2 :food: so we won't be missing 10 :food: but rather 4 :food:

well, we are working the forest right now, so we have +2fpt and +2 hpt. When we grow, we can work the corn for +3fpt or the fish for +2fpt. the workboat will add +3fpt to the fish (making it a 5fpt tile), so we'll actually lose 6f, not 4, by trolling around in the fishing boat if we work the fish tile on growth. If we work the wheat, we'll only lose 4f, but we'll also lose 6g towards the next tech.edit: wheat is on plain, so it's 2fpt/1hpt. Plus, it'll cost 36 food to grow from size 2 to 3, so it could add a few turns (probably 3) to the time it takes to grow, thus compounding the gold loss.
just trying to weigh effect of not getting that food for a few tiles of exploration.

edit2: also, moving the boat will probably be as follows: T1 to fish, T2 2T E, T3 back to fish, T4 cast net. Therefore, we lose 3 turns, not 2, so the food effect is -9f. It think...

oh.. I thought that the workboat was only +2.. I also thought that it was being worked as soon as it was available, but that's what I get for thinking.

I still would like to know what those tiles are to our NE. if that's a passageway to another civ, we need to get some defense and fast.

On second thought, perhaps the workboat should fish as soon as possible. We did make the decision to build it to speed city growth, so it seems a little crazy to use it for scouting, considering the price we'll be paying. The second thing is that if you look at the screen shots closely (the earlier ones, not the "tilted" view), I am fairly certain there is no more connected land further to the northeast. As for the South-east of the bay, we will get there soon enough.

My fog gazing says the coast curves, so lant the fishing nets when the boat is done. We need the growth more than the exploration value.

Here is the NSA view of the eastern peninsula

Looks like beaches to me.

And here is the empirical view:

Warrior is healing and waiting on sailing which is due in 1

So where do we plant city #2?

Due west for the sandwiches I think

Agreed. If it's planted on the plains tile 2 north of the bacon it looks like it has great commerce potential with 3 grasslands, wheat, pork, coastals. Definitely complimentary to our traits.

For a 3rd city I'm a little conflicted. Is the site N of the wines on the river a good site or 1W of that?

3 grasslands, wheat, pork, coastals
looks like we could either have a picnic on the beach or in the meadows.... I prefer the meadows mainly becuase sand chafes and grass is generally more comfortable. I can deal with the ants

Whomp said:
Agreed. If it's planted on the plains tile 2 north of the bacon it looks like it has great commerce potential with 3 grasslands, wheat, pork, coastals. Definitely complimentary to our traits.

For a 3rd city I'm a little conflicted. Is the site N of the wines on the river a good site or 1W of that?
For #3, definitely down by the river to the S. The site 1T N of the wines seems to be very good (3 FP, river wines, river corn, 1 plain hill and 1 grass hill, plus forests and river plains tiles for watermills or irrigation). It could be a very flexible city, probably research/commerce and production once it's over size 5.

grahamiam said:
For #3, definitely down by the river to the S. The site 1T N of the wines seems to be very good (3 FP, river wines, river corn, 1 plain hill and 1 grass hill, plus forests and river plains tiles for watermills or irrigation). It could be a very flexible city, probably research/commerce and production once it's over size 5.
With all of those river tiles and us being financial, this would be one fantastic commerce city. The extra food would allow us to cottage the plains. The forests can be chopped to build a Library and Market and then be replaced by even more cottages.

I think we should consider making this our second city, given the amount of time it takes for cottages to mature. The pork sandwich city is an excellent site; but, the commerce that this river city would bring in could pay for all of our early expansion.

They are both great sites, and I think we all agree on the positioning, however, scouting a little further into the fog to the west of the ham sandwich (possible name? ;)) might reveal more. The other issue regarding which city to place first is our tech choice. When will we get AH, BW, or pottery, not to mention the wheel, or are we aiming straight for something a bit higher? Hmm.. maybe not such a huge issue, but something to think about.

In any case, perhaps the ham sandwich will be able to provide more food initially to vomit out workers and settlers, leaving the capital to do what it wants, and then provide defensive units after we mine those hills (in the case that we have aggressive neighbours).

Top Bottom