1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

International Beer Brands?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zardnaar, Nov 30, 2019.

1. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Is "Żywiec" an international brand ? I know they have it in Polish shops in the US and most of the UK too, many countries I've visited do have that brand of beer also so I was wondering if it got the "international" status yet. What are the requirements ?

2. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

We get the Asian beers in supermarkets here, interesting to see how available they are overseas.

Bottlestores might have a bit more variety and craft beers. Some craft beers are available in the supermarket as well.

3. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

No set definition. Available in a variety of countries without having to go to a specialty store.

4. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

Does the UK get a modified version of the American Budweiser, or the original Budweiser from the Chech city of Budvar that can't be sold as Budweiser in the US because of trademark reasons ?
    The Chech Budweiser is pretty good. Haven't seen the American one anywhere for sale in Germany.

5. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

UK used to drink low alcohol akes, I think they drink lagers more now.

Our beers used to be more regional. Our one was a 4% ale. I don't like it I think I got some for free and still have it somewhere.

It's fairly bad as in I don't want to drink it even for free. Bud passes that test, I find it almost sweet without a strong flavour. It's easy to drink.

As bad as our local beer is there's worse. It's not good but some are outright unpleasant to drink.

One local bar/restaurant I like has nice good and a small craft beer is $3 during happy hour so you can have a stout, APA or an IPA that's quite good for $3.

A large beer at a hipster joint with cloudy APA and things like milk stout is $8. One I had was very cloudy and 6.7%. Looked like fruit juice.

6. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Both are available. The UK version of US Bud is a lot more common though and the Czech Bud is expensive (although worth it).

7. civvver

civvver Deity

American Bud is awful however I have toured the Budweiser brewery in St Louis twice now and the samples you get are outstanding. I swear the beer tastes completely different when it's less than 24 hours old. It's really weird.

8. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Is Founders available in NZ/AUS? They make some pretty popular barrel aged beers and I know they sold most of the company to Mahou San Miguel to expand distribution in Europe but I'm not sure where else their beer goes. Their Breakfast Stout and Dirty Bastard wee heavy are really good.

I'm kind of spoiled on imports. Theres a local store that dedicates a whole aisle to various imports. Stuff like Weiheinstephaner Hefe, Duval, even Schlenkerla Rauchbier. A lot of the mass produced stuff is pretty readily available too. I used to buy a lot of Grolsch because I wanted the swing top bottles when I started homebrewing. Never got a taste for the stuff though. I think it's the green bottles sitting under florescent lights all day. That skunks the beer. Heineken and Pilsner Urquel are always skunky too. Drives me crazy.

9. civvver

civvver Deity

Heineken is skunky, again one of those beers that tastes completely different when it's fresh as I've had it a few times in Amsterdam airport.

I didn't know founders was doing that much distribution. That's cool cus they are local for me, just a couple hours away. They had a tap room open in detroit a mere 20 mins away but it closed sadly due to a discrimination law suit.

10. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Yeah, they were 30% owned by San Miguel for a long time to expand distribution but just recently sold majority shares to them. Larry Bell is trying to get their craft brewing designation removed since they're owned by a conglomerate now. It's not like their process has changed and AFAIK no major layoffs or anything have happened.

General rule of thumb is anything light in color or really hoppy is better as fresh as possible. Dark beers can get better with age, especially high gravity stuff.

11. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

Honestly I love craft beer but I am down for European macro beers for sure when compared to US. Bud, Coors, Busch all ugh, but I can absolutely do Heineken or Carlsberg or Guinness, Tiger is solid too from SE Asia. I used to like Corona but the last couple I've had have been super skunky. We have a couple liquor stores in town that get a lot of Belgian ales, but a lot of the international stuff has been removed for more national craft stuff. I've had more success getting international beer at actual restaurants; Asian bistros always have Chinese and Japanese beer, I can get beer from Sri Lanka (Lion I think is the name?) at a local Indian place, etc. There's one place in town that sometimes gets Guinness Foreign Extra Stout which is basically what the beer actually is abroad, and it's much better than the watered down American version, but that's getting harder to find, again, because international selection is being subsumed.

12. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

The key with Corona is to buy it in a 12 pack or case. That way those dumb clear bottles are protected from light. The alpha acids from the hops react with light to give beer that skunk flavor. That's why most beer comes in a brown bottle.

GoodEnoughForMe likes this.
  13. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Founders was here idk if it's the same stuff.

Don't like Grolsch. I bought a large bottle because it game with a great glass.

14. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Most beer here is in a box.

The ones open are like 6 packs with a carry handle. Singles are usually in a can or big bottle.

IMG_20191204_113644.jpg
    Bud had good looking bottles relative to a lot if our brands.

IMG_20191204_113706.jpg
    And my Grolsch glass. A 900ml can of Baltika fills it twice.

Socrates99 likes this.
  15. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Strongbow from UK is pretty decent

16. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Sounds familiar, traditional British beer is ale?

17. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Traditional English beer is ale which is a murky brown colour and served warm. Horrible stuff.
    Strongbow is to cider as Bud is to lager.

18. civvver

civvver Deity

Larry Bell is bells brewing, I don't think he is associated with foudners unless I'm mistaken.

I thought strongbow was a hard cider.

I like regular guiness for the nitro texture. I just really like the velvety mouth feel of regular guiness, but you're right the stout has more depth of flavor. Guiness is actually pretty light tasting.

I agree corona kind of sucks. I like an AB beer called landshark. It's the same style as corona but is usually much fresher tasting.

19. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Harsh words. Good British beer ranks right at the top with German beers. All beer fits into two categories, ale and lager. The difference is the yeast. Ales come as light as Belgian Wits and as dark as Irish stouts. Lagers are black like Schwarzbier or light like a Czech Pils. Ales ferment warm which gives them fruity bready esters. Lagers ferment cold which leaves almost no yeast flavor.

I think the stuff you're thinking of is cask ale. They fill wooden casks with still beer fresh from the fermenter. It either has enough residual sugar to carbonate it or they add some. Then after it naturally carbonates they serve it straight from the cask at cellar temperature. Its usually flat, kinda warm and tastes like the wood the cask was made of. An acquired taste for sure.

A few centuries ago that was basically what all beer was. A little further back and it all had smoke flavor too, before they invented kilns. Before modern sanitation it was probably all sour too since acetic or lactic infection was almost impossible to avoid. Sounds horrible.

.....tldr, I'm a nerd.

20. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

English beer was a shock after growing up in Scotland where ales are served cold and tend to be darker.
    Theres a lot of snobbery about cask ale in Britain. CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, spent a lot of energy promoting the idea that keg beers weren't real beer, only cask was.
    Cask tends to be a lot more variable in quality.

Socrates99 likes this.