International english dialect online test

Lohrenswald

世界的 bottom ranked physicist
man what a title

Basically this test asks you some questions about the english language, or rather how you percieve it, and tries to place your dialect. But what's kinda interesting about this one is that it also tries to place the dialect of non-native english speakers, so basically everyone on this forum can try the test and either compliment how good it is or laugh at how bad it is.

The test is here: http://www.gameswithwords.org/WhichEnglish/
http://www.gameswithwords.org/WhichEnglish/
here's my results:

I'm a bit surprised singaporean was the closest hit and OfFeNdEd that it thinks I'm swedish lol :(

Our top three guesses for your English dialect:
1. American (Standard)
2. Canadian
3. Singaporean
Our top three guesses for your native (first) language:
1. English
2. Norwegian
3. Swedish

Our top three guesses for your English dialect: 1. American (Standard) 2. Canadian 3. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics

Our top three guesses for your native (first) language: 1. English 2. Dutch 3. Norwegian

I guess it makes sense that my top 3 dialects are all geographically similar to where I live and are pretty much all English at birth dialects.

1. English (England)
2. Scottish (UK)
3. Welsh (UK)

1. English
2. Hungarian
3. Swedish

Clearly my use of English is easily identifiable!

1. American (Standard)
2. Canadian
3. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics
1. English
2. Norwegian
3. Swedish

My native language is Flemish.

I had to laugh at one of the initial questions:

"Have you been diagnosed with dyslexia or another language or learning disorder?"

WTF? How do you "diagnose" a language? I suppose they mean a disorder that prevents a person from using language, but it's a really sloppy way to express that.

My results were:

American (Standard)
Canadian
US Black Vernacular/Ebonics

Their guesses for my native languages were:

English
Norwegian
Swedish

My editor-self cringed at how badly worded some of those questions were. And I have no idea how they arrived at the guess that I'm black/speak Ebonics. I find that dialect to be basically gibberish.

I did that or something similar a year or so ago on my phone.
It got me right but I couldn't give any feedback back as it didn't like the mobile browser.

Flemish?? In Canada?!
Dunno about Vincour's personal situation, but lots of people here grow up speaking the languages their parents or grandparents spoke. My grandmother was born in Alberta, but didn't learn any English until she started school. Her first language was Swedish. My dad and I both learned some Swedish when we were kids. I learned to read a little of it, but I don't flatter myself that I could even begin to carry on any sort of coherent conversation with any of the Swedish-speaking CFC members.

1. American (Standard)
2. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics
3. Canadian
1. English
2. Dutch
3. Norwegian
I had to laugh at one of the initial questions:

"Have you been diagnosed with dyslexia or another language or learning disorder?"

WTF? How do you "diagnose" a language?

You don't, but diagnosing a language or learning disorder is fairly common practice. People with deep seated OCD/redundancy issues might say "language disorder or learning disorder" but I find that repetitious.

People with deep seated OCD/redundancy issues might say "language disorder or learning disorder" but I find that repetitious.
so in norwegian where we have compound words, learning disorder is "læringsvansker" (which actually means "learning difficulties"), and language disorder would be "språkvansker".
The way of writing language or learning disorder would then be: "lærings- eller språkvansker". So the - kinda makes pretty clear the intent of the sentence

1. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics
2. South African
3. Singaporean
Looks like being from the Hood gives you black cred, even if you're from Germany.

1. Finnish
2. Italian
3. German
Didn't do a perfect job with my native language though.

"Scientists have discovered that many of the 'rules' taught in school are wrong anyway." What?

Top three guesses for my English dialect:
1. US Black Venacular/Ebonics
2. American (Standard)
3. Canadian

Pretty strange considering I needed subtitles for The Wire.

1. American (Standard)
2. Canadian
1. English
2. Norwegian
3. Swedish

My native language is Flemish.

This is the same as my result (although my only language is English.)

Flemish?? In Canada?!

I wasn't born in Canada. :) I moved to Canada when I was 2 and my home was Flemish-only until around the age of 7. English is my third language.

But yeah, it's definitely an obscure dialect here. There are no Flemish translators in the entire country. Official translation work is allowed to be done by a Dutch translator instead (when the government is usually very strict on who can translate what).

Wait, Flemish is a language? I thought you just had something stuck in your throat.

1. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics
2. American (Standard)
3. South African
1. English
2. Dutch
3. Portuguese

Actually I'm native German and never lived anywhere else for long. Seems like I've one-upped the algorithm. My accent would have given it away immediately though.

1. American (Standard)
2. Canadian

1. English
2. Dutch
3. Norwegian

I have no idea how they got Ebonics out of my answers, and I guess they don't know about Polish

Top Bottom