International Trade Route: No religion spread

Sporally

Prince
I find this very confusing. I was of the idea that once you have a city with a religion, that religion would spread to the city of your destination. However, I find that this is not ALWAYS so. What is exactly needed?

Before the game came out I thought you needed an Open Border-agreement to trade, but when I found this wasn't the case I thought it was needed for religious spread. However, I still find that this isn't so. Then I thought it was because you had to have a bigger city than your destination city, but it isn't that either.

1) What is needed to have a city spread religion through trade?
2) Is it just me or did Open Borders have some new function in BNW?

I find this very confusing. I was of the idea that once you have a city with a religion, that religion would spread to the city of your destination. However, I find that this is not ALWAYS so. What is exactly needed?

Before the game came out I thought you needed an Open Border-agreement to trade, but when I found this wasn't the case I thought it was needed for religious spread. However, I still find that this isn't so. Then I thought it was because you had to have a bigger city than your destination city, but it isn't that either.

A city spreads religion through trade if it is NOT spreading religion through normal distance.

ie a trade route between 2 cities distance 10 or less will not spread religion

and a trade route distance 13 or less will not spread a "Itenerant preachers" religion

Open Borders has no additional function (although it is important for archaeologists)

I think the normal pressure mechanic also applies: if a city already has a religion, you need two sources of pressure. So two trade routes could do it.

I think the normal pressure mechanic also applies: if a city already has a religion, you need two sources of pressure. So two trade routes could do it.

Yu don't need two sources of pressure.. one source of pressure= one source of pressure. (it just isn't likely to flip the city if there are other sources of pressure)

Yu don't need two sources of pressure.. one source of pressure= one source of pressure. (it just isn't likely to flip the city if there are other sources of pressure)

Are you sure? At least Civilopedia states you need two cities exerting pressure against cities with another majority religion. I know, Civilopedia is full of flaws but this goes in line with what I've observed in game.

Ah ok, I see. So if Athens spread to La Venta but La Venta doesn't spread to Athens, that means my trading ship transfer their religion to La Venta because they have itenerant preachers on board :) (unless they have wonders or social policies that spread further, which I can't remember if there are at all)?

1) Have more faith.

My holy city which is always my capital spreads faith through trade routes every game, often it is +6 but it can be double or more that. Other cities that produce enough faith will also spread faith over a trade route. You need to build buildngs that produce faith.

2) Open Borders doesn't affect trade caravans, they're like missionairies, I believe, they can just go anywhere. However Open Borders does give a diplomacy bonus, always has and I think it makes your trade routes more profitable though you might have to research some techs or build some buildings or adopt a tenet. But yeah Open Borders is good for trade even if it instantly doesn't double gold yield, it helps.

Faith isn't, as far as I know, directly related to spreading of one's religion.

@ Muskie
I don't think there were many things that were correct in what you just said. Unless I'm mistaken...

1) More :c5faith: doesn't change the pressure of religion through trade routes. They give +6 :c5faith:, I just wasn't aware of when they did and when they didn't. But I'm pretty sure there's no way to change the gain from gaining more :c5faith: or enhancing your religion. However, in my current game Japan has twice the pressure on me than I have on them - I expect this to be from some SP.

2) A diplomatic bonus, yes, but not so sure they increase the trade route income from what I can see. It should be noted when you hover over one of your trade routes in the Trade Route-overview, which it doesn't.

I have another question:
3) When hovering over trade routes in the Trade Route-overview, just beneath "Gold base: 1" it says "Venice gold per turn: 2.55". What is this and how is this calculated? It's not from buildings or resources since they come seperately afterwards.

I've been searching online for quite a while and haven't found what I'm looking for; hopefully someone here can help me out.
I'm trying to spread my religion to distant Civs and other continents. I was hoping to do that via trade to help speed up the spread of my religion. But I can't figure out how to estaish trade routes/caravans with distant Civs. It's only like 1600 buy I have advanced tech (way past astronomy- like Radio).
No city is directly on water and I don't think I can build a harbor anywhere. Any idea guys?

Build a city at the coast or move your caravan to the city closes to the civilisation you want to spread it to. That's the only way, but the distance can be extended with wonders.

On this topic, was religion spread nerfed somehow with BNW? Previously, if I got religious texts, I didn't even need to do missionaries. Or barely. And my religion spread quite well.
Now after BNW, I never see my religion spread to other cities at all. I know the % was a bit nerfed on religious texts, but still. Even without that trait, religion still spread before BNW.

I have another question:
3) When hovering over trade routes in the Trade Route-overview, just beneath "Gold base: 1" it says "Venice gold per turn: 2.55". What is this and how is this calculated? It's not from buildings or resources since they come seperately afterwards.

its gold produced by the city itself/20

The trade route has to be longer than your religions normal spread distance for trade to spread religion.

The trade route has to be longer than your religions normal spread distance for trade to spread religion.

Yes, it only works as a way to extend pressure from a city, not actually increase it.

Sadly, this works against Arabia's UA as well. A nearby city can't benefit from Arabia's extra spread via trade routes, because they're already receiving pressure from the same city.

Top Bottom