1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

International trade routes are way better than domestic trade routes!!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing2, Feb 19, 2019.

1. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Right now, I kinda feel like international trade routes are way better than domestic trade routes. The main reason for this is that international trade routes give gold which is often a better resource to have than food or production that you get from domestic routes. Gold is not just useful for maintenance costs but also very useful for rush buying pretty much anything, including units, buildings, and even districts with Reyna. This will far outweigh the small amount of food or production from a domestic route. Now, I know there are policy cards that buff domestic routes but I still find that international trade routes are often better. The only time I use domestic routes are in the early game when I don't have a good international trade route yet and I want to help a new city grow. But after that, I tend to focus all my trade routes to other civs. You can get some insane gold from international trade routes especially in the late game!! In my first GS as the Maori, I had like 17 international trade routes and I was bringing in around 500 gold per turn. At one point, I had over 10,000 gold!! I could easily rush buy anything I wanted. There was no point in using domestic trade routes or even caring about production. And of course, GS buffed sea based routes which makes international trade routes even better.

2. Naeshar

Naeshar Warlord

There were some discussions time ago about which trade routes are better. In vanilla game they were kind of balanced, in that domestic brought food and production directly and internationals gold and district-based other yields. It is debatable which is more useful in any stage of the game, but I believe small cities benefit from internal routes more (which happens incidentally at the start of the game as well).
    RnF brought imbalance in that routes to allies grant flat food/prod, which tips the scale heavily, coupled with the fact AI is more likely to ally. GS brought rather minor addition to gold, though I do not have GS - the tooltip and probably gold bonus was added to base game as well. Funny being told the yield was enhanced by tunnels and canals if you don't have any.
    Trade routes will always be stronger in the human hands.

3. Quintus of Mund

Quintus of Mund Chieftain

For me, it kind of makes up for the risk of being pillaged much more easily when it’s international than domestic!

4. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Yes, GS took the better of the two options (international routes) and buffed it.

Domestic routes will be buffed when large cities become better. Pingala at least gives you a reason to invest in one large city, so that's a start. Until then, food remains the least important yield, and production the second least important.

There are edge cases where domestic routes can pay for themselves, but those are few and far between because trade routes are locked for 11+ turns. You're almost always better off just getting the core yields (science, culture, faith, and gold) directly.

5. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

It would also be a pretty easy addition to give players a bigger benefit when cities are connected to the capital by a road.

6. Onin

Onin Chieftain

For me domestic trade routes are all about growing new cities with extra food and safer trade routes due to barbarian activity (mostly early in the game). Foreign trade routes should be more lucrative as your nation develops though. Combine that with alliances and there is no question that international trade is the way to go.

7. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

Foreign trade routes should be better. Domestic trade routes are for helping new cities with food, production, and a road.

8. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

True. I just think it would not hurt to give domestic routes a little buff, say a little extra production.

Socrates99 and Our_DeCay like this.
  9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Maybe they could also give amenities or housing, or other things that a foreign TR doesn't do, maybe tied to what districts the sending city has. Or maybe send them to cities with an industrial zone to manufacture something.

10. Our_DeCay

Our_DeCay Chieftain

That would be a nice incentive to buff railroads. For instance, give trade routes via railroads +1 production for every two lumber mills or mines the railroad passes.

Socrates99 and SupremacyKing2 like this.
  11. Timodelphia

Timodelphia Chieftain

Can you rush buy a wonder?

Usually, I am using some portion of my trade routes domestically in order to assist in wonder building. For me, I have found very few international trade routes that can top the production gained on a domestic route, particularly prior to alliances.

BrotherInJah likes this.
  12. Jewman

Jewman Prince

I think they could expand upon districts giving food or prod bonuses to also include bonuses tied to the tier level of buildings in those districts. So an entertainment district currently gives 1 food, but with an arena it would also give 1 amenity, barracks could give 1 housing, market gold, etc... These bonuses scale up with the building tier level of the destination district. Balance could be a bit tricky, trading for +3 amenities sounds a bit OP but the base yield districts would be fairly straight forward (commerce, theatre, campus, industrial)

13. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

Maybe through cards or a civic. I think they're good as-is for the early game. People say that Vanilla is balanced (which I agree with), but the initial reaction was that you don't ever need international trade routes. You want people to want to send international trade routes.

14. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Being able to now stack Wisselbanken with Arsenal of Democracy might just be a bit to much. As long as I have an alliance going it just makes communism and fascism completely redundant for me.

15. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Domestic TR from a city with an Entertainment district or dam--sends out a happy face to receiving city
    from a Neighborhood, dam, harbor=house
    Government district--loyalty
    encampment--city defense, cheaper resource unit building
    holy site--religion spread
    airport--tourism
    TS, Campus, Market--culture, sci, $$$

16. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I usually only use domestic trade routes to trade from a new city to my capital to grow them a bit, and then when that's done, I mvoe the trade to my capital to trade with someone else's capital

17. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

It's better to chop to rush wonders.

Timodelphia likes this.
  18. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Early on I find the extra food and prod a better investment especially because of the risk of barbarians. Traders are too expensive to replace willy nilly at that point. About midgame I switch to international as long as I'm not a warmongering menace anyway. Then at the end when I need ship parts, competitions, projects, etc I might switch back to domestic. A dozen domestics to one city is huge for ship building.

19. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

I don't see any domestic route beating wisselbanken+arsenal of democracy. That's +6 production, plus whatever the target city gives depending on it's districts.

20. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Depends on what your objective is.

Very few wonders in the game, if any, speed up your victory times. Doesn't mean you shouldn't build them if you have fun doing so, but every extra wonder you build is pretty much guaranteed to delay your victory relative to using that production on other things. If you divert international trade routes to domestic trade routes, the delay is even greater, as now you're giving up science, culture, faith, and gold on top of the cost of the production itself.

Just in general, if your economy is built around producing things, instead of buying them, everything is going to take longer. Running domestic routes to get more production delays things even more. Again, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Growing big cities and building lots of wonders can be great fun, in and of itself!

Timodelphia likes this.