Internet before computers?

Adjuvant

Emperor
As a matter of fact, it's pretty easy with research agreements, faith-bought great scientists, and/or just straight science income to get Internet way before computers. Development oversight? Discuss.

I got Internet and won before getting to Computers, so yes, not an unlikely scenario.

It's probably less a development oversight and more a result of a very gamey tech tree, which is designed bottom-up to be balanced and focused, rather than the arguably less focused and balanced but more organic and top-down design of Civ IV's tree. For another example, see the social policy names. In IV you could really see how each one's benefits were tied into its real-world function. In V you more often have names that are only vaguely tied to function, or really don't reflect it whatsoever.

Well, you can get gatling guns without gunpowder (revolving crossbow?), planees without the internal combustion engine (clockwork engine?), and mass media without the printing press (guys shouting very loudly from tall buildings?). I hardly think THIS is the weirdest tech anachronism.

But of course!

I think it's just one of those oddities that hopefully doesn't distract from the gameplay. Certainly I'd rather have this kind of weirdness than go back to the Civ III system where you needed pretty much every tech in an era in order to advance.

Besides which, there are plenty of weird things when you come to it. English longbows cause your gatling guns to shoot further as well? All wonders last forever (assuming the city isn't razed)? Ultimately, the entire game is an abstraction.

Well, you can get gatling guns without gunpowder (revolving crossbow?), planees without the internal combustion engine (clockwork engine?), and mass media without the printing press (guys shouting very loudly from tall buildings?). I hardly think THIS is the weirdest tech anachronism.

This. I imagine Great War Fighters without combustion engines being powered by giant rubber bands. Similarly, I guess The Internet without computers would be some really cool next-gen worldwide telephone network.

Aww man, now I want a game with dynamic graphics that change depending on what techs you have. A clockwork airplane would be AWESOME.

-GB

which also mean you can't read and write! how's that for an underdeveloped advanced civilization!:lol:

Must be a very lucky civilization. Or chances are better they just stole the tech from other civs, because without writing you're definitely going to be very far behind!

Top Bottom