INTERNET GAMES logging not working?

Mat777

Warlord
Anyone here is able to log in the internet games?
I just cant create any account here .

I cant log with my gamespy-id , i cant enter @@@@@ in the danm box , and i cant paste my email adress in the box . As we know , the email adress is use in gamespy for logging .

Anyone know where this game save the logging information so i can edit it manualy myself ?

anyone else?

I have the same problem. CivilizationIv.ini has some fields for adding name, email address, but those are for play-by-email. The Internet Game option/GameSpy doesn't pay attention to them, and I could not find a configuration file that does.
BTW, your gamespyid login name is different from your email address, but I tried typing my login name and it still didn't connect.

Anyone know the secret?

opkoad said:
I have the same problem. CivilizationIv.ini has some fields for adding name, email address, but those are for play-by-email. The Internet Game option/GameSpy doesn't pay attention to them, and I could not find a configuration file that does.
BTW, your gamespyid login name is different from your email address, but I tried typing my login name and it still didn't connect.

Anyone know the secret?

I'm having the same exact problem and I have no clue as to why. Like I said in a post on the technical support forum, I originally thought that it was related to my firewall, but when my friend was able to create and log into gamespy, that dismissed that possibility. I don't run a software firewall like Zonealarm or Black Ice. I use a hardware firewall router. My friend was plugged into the same router when he tried, and he got through. It has to be something with the way CIV installed onto my system or something. I'll try the standard "Updating of all Network Drivers." if that works I'll be sure to let you know, but I doubt that will have any effect on my getting through.

If anyone else knows how to fix that us know.

I also went to http://www.gamespyid.com and was able to log in.

I'm assuming the "Nickname" field is the one you use for your login name on CIV IV correct?

Im having the same problems. whenever i try to log in, it says "failed to connect." I have no idea why i cant connect. all i know is that when gamespy is needed for multiplayer games, multiplayer is NONFUNCTIONAL. God damn you gamespy. god damn you firaxis, for being dumb *******s who use gamespy.

elderotter, I'm really surprised you could log in, Civ 4 is not even in Gamespy Arcade's supported game list.

Paladin said:
Well, it looks as thought we wont get anything constructive here. Might want to try contacting gamespy, which is what I am going to do.

I've posted a question about Civ 4 support in the Gamespy Arcade forums:

http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespyarcade/topic.asp?fid=1555&tid=1772522

I'll let you know what I hear.

I had the same problem and found a solution.

The problem is that any gamespyid account not created by the game itself (using the create account functionality) or any gamespyaccount that you try to create from the game but that is associated to an email address that exists on an already existing gamespy account created from outside the game will not work.

In order to get into the multiplayer lobby, just create a new gamespyid account from in game, using an email address you never used with www.gamespyid.com or IGN before.

hope that helps

Mat777 said:
Anyone here is able to log in the internet games?
I just cant create any account here .

I cant log with my gamespy-id , i cant enter @@@@@ in the danm box , and i cant paste my email adress in the box . As we know , the email adress is use in gamespy for logging .

Anyone know where this game save the logging information so i can edit it manualy myself ?

anyone else?
If you have an gamespy account using your email address then you must used the usersname (nickname you used to log in to fileplanet) and the exact password that's already attach to the address. After you set the new "Civ 4" account next time you hit "log in" and enter your ?nickname and password.

none of the above solutions have worked for me. i still get a "unable to connect" error.

Bump, because this seems like a serious issue that many players have. There are at least 2 more threads on these forums where people cannot connect to internet games because of Gamespy. If this has happened to anyone else, and they have a solution, PLEASE post here.

I tried what you said about making a new account in the game using an e-mail that doesn't exist with them, and I STILL get errors when trying to connect to gamespy. I really wish they could have gone with another service for multiplayer. I have a few multiplayer games, and I have yet to find one as problematic as gamespy is. Even with CIV 3 I had problems.

Ok, I have new info.

I used my friend's account name and password, which work. I got the same "unable to connect to game server" error. Whatever it is, it is specific to my (our?) machines.

I live on a college campus. I'm starting to think that maybe my problem stems from the network here. I'm going to test a few things out, and see what happens. For anyone who has these problems, post if you live on campus somewhere. I go to GMU, by the way. Maybe it's a big GMU issue, and I'll meet new friends because of this.:p

Oh, and unistalling and reinstalling it doesnt work. Tried that too.

Hi, I think I have found the solution to the problem you are having. I was having the same problems myself, the reasons for these problems I believe are twofold.

1.) In order to login to an Internet game your GamespyID account must have been created through the CivIV interface, if you attempt to login using a pre-existing account you will receive an error. I believe this is due to an association being made on the gamespy servers which allows a GamespyID account to use the CivIV lobby when an account is made through the CivIV interface, however for pre-existing accounts this association does not exist therefore the Gamespy CivIV lobby server wont recognise your account. The error you will receive at the interface when trying to connect to an account that was not created using the CivIV interface is; "The Username you entered is not valid". The error noted from logging is "ERR: The uniquenick provided is incorrect.".

2.) When creating an account you must use a unique username in the "Login:" field. Or in other words a username which is not already in use by other players, if you're trying to create an account with a common username and are receiving an error then it is likely that the name is already in use. The error that you will see from the CivIV interface is; "The login attempt has failed". However the true cause for this error is only revealed once logging is enabled and is the following error message; "ERR: The uniquenick is already in use.". Basically the error you see from the CivIV game interface is not explicit in describing what the actual cause of the problem was, you receive a generic attempt failed regardless of the cause for the failure. Furthermore, you will have similar problems if you're trying to make a new account using an email address which is already associated with an existing GamespyID account. I believe the error that is shown in the logs is; "ERR: The password does not match the email address." although I have not thoroughly tested that point. Avoid using an email address which has already been used to create a GamespyID.

To summarize, in order to login you must be using a GamespyID account which was created through the CivIV interface. When creating a new account ensure that the username you pick (for the the "Login:" field) is unique, i.e. it is not something common which may already be in use. Also don't use an email address which already has a GamespyID.

I hope this helps to fix the problems anyone here is having, also if you would like to enable logging for your own CivIV it is explained here on a 2kgames support page.

ps. If you already have an existing GamespyID registered to an email address and you dont want to create another email address / GamespyID in order to play CivIV here is a little tip which I used myself. Login to the GamespyID from www.GamespyID.com and change the following details; change nickname to something you dont want to use, change the email address to something you dont want to use, enter the password fields identically. Warning: be careful to make sure you change the nickname to something you dont want, and if you want to be safe use a valid email address and password in case there is a mistake. If you accidently changed the email address and password to something you dont know but left the old nick you may lose access to that nickname. I am not responsible for any mistakes attempting this :)

OK, I think that about covers it. Good luck all, I hope there arent any further problems that I havent discovered.

Still doesn't work. I get a "The connection to the game browsing server has failed." error. It doesn't seem like anything to do with my account name or password.

mattigus said:
Still doesn't work. I get a "The connection to the game browsing server has failed." error. It doesn't seem like anything to do with my account name or password.

I'm having the same problem.

if you still cant connect after that, then the only thing I can think of are firewall and NAT issues. which i dont know the full details of, other than that you may need to open the ports which the game uses.

claxer said:
I hope this helps to fix the problems anyone here is having, also if you would like to enable logging for your own CivIV it is explained here on a 2kgames support page.

Also, enable logging as per the above link and check what errors you're getting. That may provide more specific indication of what the problem is.

Top Bottom